Page 78 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    so you're saying you think hughes is a better opener than cowan
    Yes I am saying that. But for the sake of team balance Hughes is better at 3.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Debutant
    I'm picking Watson coz I think he'll score more runs out of the 2 the longer they bat. You're likely to get more out of Watto per crease time (if I can put it like that) than Cowan. Of course its no guarantee that Watson will be in form to bat any length of time. I have Cowan and Rogers in my squad and feel I have 2 options if Watto screws up.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I'm being harsh on Cowan but I think we've seen about as good from him as we'll get. Watson can offer more runs and quicker if in form. He also gives us the bowling option needed. Yes I realise its a gamble and contrary to the trend but I think we'll need something unexpected and going with the formula wont do it. Plus the price of playing Cowan is unbalancing the side with Watto at 4

I can't credit that Watson will break down from opener as opposed to batting at 4.

Usman isn't ideal but allows Clarke to bat at 5.

Wade will be standing back in Eng most of the time. It'll be a doddle compared to keepin in India.
    Why not put Warner down the order? Cowan and Watson (although those two running between wickets could be fun) and Warner as the game changer batting at four or five?

Reckon Warner is the sort of guy who thrives in the early overs (if he makes it through). The aggressive fields lets him get a few cheapies early and then he just runs on autopilot. Not sure he's the guy I want to come out to add starch to a crumbling order.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Reckon Warner is the sort of guy who thrives in the early overs (if he makes it through). The aggressive fields lets him get a few cheapies early and then he just runs on autopilot. Not sure he's the guy I want to come out to add starch to a crumbling order.
    I think he batted down the order in the U19 world cup.

I think that's a little different...

Grew up playing at five or so.

It's not like a one dayer though with blokes back, they'll still have two slips, a gully when he starts; not like the off-side will be stacked.

But the ball will be softer and the chances of starting against spin increases.

Warner's a pure opener. Doesn't have the game at the moment to get into his work by working ones and twos from the get go.

Ball doesn't go that soft in England. Starting against spin is an issue, but I disagree that he's a pure opener. He bats the same no matter what the situation, and he can change games in twenty minutes.

It was really only on the back of his success doing it OD cricket that he began doing it in the longer form. I'm not that fussed about it in general, and it won't happen, but I think in England it's his best chance to prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Ball doesn't go that soft in England. Starting against spin is an issue, but I disagree that he's a pure opener. He bats the same no matter what the situation, and he can change games in twenty minutes.

It was really only on the back of his success doing it OD cricket that he began doing it in the longer form. I'm not that fussed about it in general, and it won't happen, but I think in England it's his best chance to prosper.
    My point exactly. I'd rather not have a guy as expansive as Warner come out in the midst of a collapse. The best chance of him getting value for his shots is at the top of the innings. He's very much a confidence and eye player, he gets a few away to the boundary early and he goes well.

Warner doesn't have the gears to play in the middle order at the moment.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    I, for one, look forward to the sight of Mitchell Starc with a red Duke in his hand.

Yeah, yeah, I know he's fourth in the pecking order, but dat inswing.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    someone oughta create separate australia and england road to the ashes threads. i don't want to talk about possible australian sides in this ****ty pom infested thread
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    someone oughta create separate australia and england road to the ashes threads. i don't want to talk about possible australian sides in this ****ty pom infested thread
    As if it'll make the slightest difference which of that bunch of has beens and never will bes that you select

I don't mind the idea of Warner batting five or six personally. I'm a bit worried he'd get completely owned by Swann there, but it's not like opening the batting saved Devon Smith from that fate anyway. In the end it's probably not something I'd do for the first Test, but if Watson's going to open then I do prefer it to the idea of dropping Cowan and playing another middle order batsman or Henriques.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Why not put Warner down the order? Cowan and Watson (although those two running between wickets could be fun) and Warner as the game changer batting at four or five?
    I had thought abt him at no.3 before they settled on Hughes. So yeah I'd consider him lower but on the condition we leave Clarke at 5. Straight swap for Usman in that case with Cowan back in the side.

Thread Information