• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think the selectors have done a decent job here. Not sure what else could be expected.

The choices express a desire for some batting consistency. Rogers and Khawaja over Smith and Maxwell. Tick. Faulkner over Moises- same same. Bowling attack is the best we could select. Happy to see MJ NOT named. Happy to see Harris in.

From the squad selected, I'd like to see the following for the first test...

- Rogers
- Cowan
- Khawaja
- Watson
- Clarke
- Warner
- Haddin +
- Starc/Siddle
- Harris/Bird
- Pattinson
- Lyon

Get the feeling (not sure why) that Khawaja should be our number 3. Hughes hasn't done much wrong, but I like this better. Would like to see Warner played down the order.

I also get the feeling that Starc, Harris and Bird would be the perfect bowling attack in England, but I don't think Patto can be left out.

Red

Invers said:
"We'll have approximately 30 players in England at the start of the northern summer and the NSP can add to the Ashes squad at any stage if the need arises."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, the main thing is the Ashes is starting to exercise everyones' minds and not this annoying subcontinental cricket parody which goes on all the time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tbf to Invers he was just answering the question to not shut on the door on some players being pushed by the media.

For instance, If Haddin got injured I'm sure someone outside the 30 would be included in the squad.

Btw Monk, why don't you think Patto would suit English conditions. He is one of the worlds best of course he'll play but it would be a bit surprising if he didn't perform.

benchmark00

A fit bowling attack consisting of:

Pattinson
Harris
Starc
Lyon
Watson

ticks pretty much all the boxes (other than a proper style spinner). Solid variety mixed with consistency.

Red

Btw Monk, why don't you think Patto would suit English conditions. He is one of the worlds best of course he'll play but it would be a bit surprising if he didn't perform.
No doubt Patto'll play. imo Starc should play for LA variety and swing (prob our best weapon against Cook) and I think if Harris is fully fit he's our premier bowler for English conditions. I'll admit I've only seen limited amounts of Bird bowling, but he seems like the sort of Alderman type that'll be really good in England. No doubt however that Patto will play, and be very good.

flibbertyjibber

So hopes pinned on a 35 year old who hasn't played for 5 years. If we did that you'd all be laughing at us and saying how bad a decision it is. Not picking Johnson has improved your chances though. With so many left handers in the top squad Swann will have a field day if he gets a chance to bowl.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah look if you're talking up Swann as your kingpin I'm feeling a bit better about our chances. He won't be the one to win the series for you, Anderson and Broad will.

Spark

Global Moderator
I doubt he'll play either way. Down the pecking order IMO. Assuming no one gets injured, it'll be Anderson-Broad-Finn.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah look if you're talking up Swann as your kingpin I'm feeling a bit better about our chances. He won't be the one to win the series for you, Anderson and Broad will.
He isn't our kingpin but you have so many lefthanders he will do his job. Add in the fact that many of these lefthanders aren't that good anyway and you have trouble. I did say he might not get chance to bowl as our pacemen will have field day against that batting line up.

Can't see anything but a comfortable England series win. 3-0 or 3-1.

benchmark00

Finn is red ball trash, would welcome that, however I wouldn't be surprised to see Tremlett included if fit in time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah Anderson is the biggest hurdle. For sure. I think overall our 5 quicks are better than Englands 5 quicks. Unfortunately we are weaker in most other areas.

The left hand thing is overstated, our 11 will have 5 RHB and 6 LHB or visa versa.