Page 76 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Sorry my bad.....typo. Yes it was 2012 and 2013 I was referring to. And good point about his ave in India too..........only M Clarke bettered that for the Aussies over there.

So my point remains. The Aussies can and will continue to LOL at Bell........but he'd still be their second best batsmen.
    This should be encouraged, will make it all the more satisfying when he makes runs against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    This should be encouraged, will make it all the more satisfying when he makes runs against them.
    LOL, don't hold your breath. Even when he had such a brilliant tour of Aus in 10/11 they were still calling him a "spud".

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    That was when we were in polite company itbt.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    So my point remains. The Aussies can and will continue to LOL at Bell
    sure will
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    But he played one bad shot that looks funny on youtube.
    He played well more than one bad shot in that series.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

I doubt the selectors will make many changes to the team for the first test at least. So I think its a safe bet that England can count on seeing Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson and Clarke for sure. I dont think they have finished with the Wade at 6 madness either so thats 6 of the top 7 you can bet on.

I know they have made noises in the press about Watson not having a guaranteed place but since he Captained the last test, he will be in the 1st test. Maybe he doesnt have much rope left. Which would be good. Score some runs or **** off.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I know they have made noises in the press about Watson not having a guaranteed place but since he Captained the last test, he will be in the 1st test. Maybe he doesnt have much rope left. Which would be good. Score some runs or **** off.
    Bill Lawry would like a word.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I doubt the selectors will make many changes to the team for the first test at least. So I think its a safe bet that England can count on seeing Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson and Clarke for sure. I dont think they have finished with the Wade at 6 madness either so thats 6 of the top 7 you can bet on.

Wade at 6 won"t happen in England.Selectors have been greatly impressed with Smith.Smith will bat at 6 thus pushing Wade at 7.You"re right about Watson chances of playing the first test.Cowan might be the only one under the firing line since selectors might be tempted to draft Rogers in.He could potentially provide Australia the much needed stability for atleast 3 years.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    Wow, better technique than Hughes already.

International Debutant
    Better technique than Phil Hughes. EDIT: I see I'm not the only one to notice.

I think I'd go with Watson for the 1st test ahead of Cowan. On form he doesn't deserve it and I think he's been cruising and allowed Clarke's good form to cover his poor form. He even got a bit of attitude that led him to renounce bowling for a while too.

However with the thrashing in India critics have noticed his bad form and suspect his attitude on the basis of homeworkgate. So I think Watson is now motivated to prove something. He even wants to bowl again. Misses it apparently.

Because I'd like us to bat Wade at 7 we might need someone who can bowl some effective overs when the fast men need a rest. Watson is that man and if he can recapture some of his pre vc form he's better than Cowan imo. So my 1st test XI would be Watson, Warner, Hughes, Usman, Clarke, Smith, Wade, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon. I'll keep the option of Harris for Starc.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 28-03-2013 at 05:54 AM.

As someone else pointed out its sickening that no one with power or the media saw Wade sucking hard and commented on it. So his batting potential outweighs his keeping looking like a 15 year old with 5 mins warning that he's keeping.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Bell would probably be Australia's vice captain.

That is hilarious.
    I doubt we'd pick him for vice-captain, the frightened and apologetic look doesn't go well in a speaking role. The fact he'd be our second best batsman tells us more about how far we've fallen than anything else.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Better technique than Phil Hughes. EDIT: I see I'm not the only one to notice.

I think I'd go with Watson for the 1st test ahead of Cowan. On form he doesn't deserve it and I think he's been cruising and allowed Clarke's good form to cover his poor form. He even got a bit of attitude that led him to renounce bowling for a while too.

However with the thrashing in India critics have noticed his bad form and suspect his attitude on the basis of homeworkgate. So I think Watson is now motivated to prove something. He even wants to bowl again. Misses it apparently.

Because I'd like us to bat Wade at 7 we might need someone who can bowl some effective overs when the fast men need a rest. Watson is that man and if he can recapture some of his pre vc form he's better than Cowan imo. So my 1st test XI would be Watson, Warner, Hughes, Usman, Clarke, Smith, Wade, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon. I'll keep the option of Harris for Starc.
    Nah, dropping our second best bat from the last tour for Usman and to give us an out of form opener to go with out current hit-and-miss one isn't a good idea IMO.

Khawaja does not have the technique for Test cricket in England. Everyone thinks his forward defense is pretty therefore he has a good technique, but he can't rotate the strike if you put it just outside off. He's exactly the same as Shane Watson in that respect, but at least Twatto can hit the odd straight drive for four. Khawaja just nicks off.

In a Shield game Copeland just kept the ball on that fourth stump line and Khawaja couldn't score, building pressure on himself and down the other end.

Not to mention sending Watson back to opening and bowling will mean he lasts 2 Tests, and in England a settled opening pairing is crucial IMO. Warner and Cowan have to be persisted with up there. The selectors have talked about having a stable opening partnership for the Ashes for so long now that it would be ridiculous to change it now, especially since Cowan performed last series.

Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson (ugh), Clarke, Smith, Wade (ugh x2), Siddle, Harris, Pattinson, Lyon as my first XI. Watson out for anyone bar Khawaja would make me happy, as well.

Also, Wade will struggle big time with the gloves in England. It is not an easy place to wicketkeep at all.

International Debutant
    I'm being harsh on Cowan but I think we've seen about as good from him as we'll get. Watson can offer more runs and quicker if in form. He also gives us the bowling option needed. Yes I realise its a gamble and contrary to the trend but I think we'll need something unexpected and going with the formula wont do it. Plus the price of playing Cowan is unbalancing the side with Watto at 4

I can't credit that Watson will break down from opener as opposed to batting at 4.

Usman isn't ideal but allows Clarke to bat at 5.

Wade will be standing back in Eng most of the time. It'll be a doddle compared to keepin in India.

Thread Information