Page 76 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

  1. #1126
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Sorry my bad.....typo. Yes it was 2012 and 2013 I was referring to. And good point about his ave in India too..........only M Clarke bettered that for the Aussies over there.

    So my point remains. The Aussies can and will continue to LOL at Bell........but he'd still be their second best batsmen.
    This should be encouraged, will make it all the more satisfying when he makes runs against them.

  2. #1127
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    This should be encouraged, will make it all the more satisfying when he makes runs against them.
    LOL, don't hold your breath. Even when he had such a brilliant tour of Aus in 10/11 they were still calling him a "spud".

  3. #1128
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,673
    That was when we were in polite company itbt.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

  4. #1129
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    So my point remains. The Aussies can and will continue to LOL at Bell
    sure will
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.


  5. #1130
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    But he played one bad shot that looks funny on youtube.
    He played well more than one bad shot in that series.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  6. #1131
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,620
    I doubt the selectors will make many changes to the team for the first test at least. So I think its a safe bet that England can count on seeing Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson and Clarke for sure. I dont think they have finished with the Wade at 6 madness either so thats 6 of the top 7 you can bet on.

    I know they have made noises in the press about Watson not having a guaranteed place but since he Captained the last test, he will be in the 1st test. Maybe he doesnt have much rope left. Which would be good. Score some runs or **** off.

  7. #1132
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I know they have made noises in the press about Watson not having a guaranteed place but since he Captained the last test, he will be in the 1st test. Maybe he doesnt have much rope left. Which would be good. Score some runs or **** off.
    Bill Lawry would like a word.

  8. #1133
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I doubt the selectors will make many changes to the team for the first test at least. So I think its a safe bet that England can count on seeing Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson and Clarke for sure. I dont think they have finished with the Wade at 6 madness either so thats 6 of the top 7 you can bet on.

    I know they have made noises in the press about Watson not having a guaranteed place but since he Captained the last test, he will be in the 1st test. Maybe he doesnt have much rope left. Which would be good. Score some runs or **** off.
    Wade at 6 won"t happen in England.Selectors have been greatly impressed with Smith.Smith will bat at 6 thus pushing Wade at 7.You"re right about Watson chances of playing the first test.Cowan might be the only one under the firing line since selectors might be tempted to draft Rogers in.He could potentially provide Australia the much needed stability for atleast 3 years.

  9. #1134
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,734

  10. #1135
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,618
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    Wow, better technique than Hughes already.

  11. #1136
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,063
    Better technique than Phil Hughes. EDIT: I see I'm not the only one to notice.

    I think I'd go with Watson for the 1st test ahead of Cowan. On form he doesn't deserve it and I think he's been cruising and allowed Clarke's good form to cover his poor form. He even got a bit of attitude that led him to renounce bowling for a while too.

    However with the thrashing in India critics have noticed his bad form and suspect his attitude on the basis of homeworkgate. So I think Watson is now motivated to prove something. He even wants to bowl again. Misses it apparently.

    Because I'd like us to bat Wade at 7 we might need someone who can bowl some effective overs when the fast men need a rest. Watson is that man and if he can recapture some of his pre vc form he's better than Cowan imo. So my 1st test XI would be Watson, Warner, Hughes, Usman, Clarke, Smith, Wade, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon. I'll keep the option of Harris for Starc.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 28-03-2013 at 05:54 AM.

  12. #1137
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,620
    As someone else pointed out its sickening that no one with power or the media saw Wade sucking hard and commented on it. So his batting potential outweighs his keeping looking like a 15 year old with 5 mins warning that he's keeping.

  13. #1138
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Bell would probably be Australia's vice captain.

    That is hilarious.
    I doubt we'd pick him for vice-captain, the frightened and apologetic look doesn't go well in a speaking role. The fact he'd be our second best batsman tells us more about how far we've fallen than anything else.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  14. #1139
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,465
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Better technique than Phil Hughes. EDIT: I see I'm not the only one to notice.

    I think I'd go with Watson for the 1st test ahead of Cowan. On form he doesn't deserve it and I think he's been cruising and allowed Clarke's good form to cover his poor form. He even got a bit of attitude that led him to renounce bowling for a while too.

    However with the thrashing in India critics have noticed his bad form and suspect his attitude on the basis of homeworkgate. So I think Watson is now motivated to prove something. He even wants to bowl again. Misses it apparently.

    Because I'd like us to bat Wade at 7 we might need someone who can bowl some effective overs when the fast men need a rest. Watson is that man and if he can recapture some of his pre vc form he's better than Cowan imo. So my 1st test XI would be Watson, Warner, Hughes, Usman, Clarke, Smith, Wade, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon. I'll keep the option of Harris for Starc.
    Nah, dropping our second best bat from the last tour for Usman and to give us an out of form opener to go with out current hit-and-miss one isn't a good idea IMO.

    Khawaja does not have the technique for Test cricket in England. Everyone thinks his forward defense is pretty therefore he has a good technique, but he can't rotate the strike if you put it just outside off. He's exactly the same as Shane Watson in that respect, but at least Twatto can hit the odd straight drive for four. Khawaja just nicks off.

    In a Shield game Copeland just kept the ball on that fourth stump line and Khawaja couldn't score, building pressure on himself and down the other end.

    Not to mention sending Watson back to opening and bowling will mean he lasts 2 Tests, and in England a settled opening pairing is crucial IMO. Warner and Cowan have to be persisted with up there. The selectors have talked about having a stable opening partnership for the Ashes for so long now that it would be ridiculous to change it now, especially since Cowan performed last series.

    Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson (ugh), Clarke, Smith, Wade (ugh x2), Siddle, Harris, Pattinson, Lyon as my first XI. Watson out for anyone bar Khawaja would make me happy, as well.

    Also, Wade will struggle big time with the gloves in England. It is not an easy place to wicketkeep at all.

  15. #1140
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,063
    I'm being harsh on Cowan but I think we've seen about as good from him as we'll get. Watson can offer more runs and quicker if in form. He also gives us the bowling option needed. Yes I realise its a gamble and contrary to the trend but I think we'll need something unexpected and going with the formula wont do it. Plus the price of playing Cowan is unbalancing the side with Watto at 4

    I can't credit that Watson will break down from opener as opposed to batting at 4.

    Usman isn't ideal but allows Clarke to bat at 5.

    Wade will be standing back in Eng most of the time. It'll be a doddle compared to keepin in India.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV
    By four_or_six in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 10:11 AM
  2. Ashes Coming Home
    By SurreyFan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 05:41 AM
  3. Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends
    By The Sean in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  4. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •