• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Andre

International Regular
At 35, Rogers isn't going as the reserve batsman. Lock him in to the XI, he'll play and probably bat in the top 3.

the big bambino

International Captain
No Marsh. Thats all I care about atm. Whew.

Now that I've thought about it consider Faulkner to be a wasted selection. Prefer Smith instead. Well done Rogers but it proves how desperate we are. Happy that only one spinner is going. In my very early squad I picked only Lyon thinking that if Doherty is next best why bother. However there is nominally one position left. So a 2nd spinner might be announced eventually.

the big bambino

International Captain
No Marsh. Thats all I care about atm. Whew.

Now that I've thought about it consider Faulkner to be a wasted selection. Prefer Smith instead. Well done Rogers but it proves how desperate we are. Happy that only one spinner is going. In my very early squad I picked only Lyon thinking that if Doherty is next best why bother. However there is nominally one position left. So a 2nd spinner might be announced eventually.
Hang on let me check that. I read the side alphabetically and went straight to the M's. But this lot may have made him captain. You never know. Better check.

No Marsh! Woo Hoo! :band::cheers:

howardj

International Coach
No Marsh is a good thing

Rest of the squad expected, I guess

Smith mightily unlucky

At least Rogers has form and conditions in his favour

adub

International Captain
Squad as tweeted by Cricinfo:

Clarke (c), Haddin (vc), Cowan, Hughes, Warner, Watson, Khawaja, Rogers, Wade, Faulkner, Harris, Siddle, Pattinson, Starc, Lyon, Bird.

Lyon the sole spinner, fascinating. Another kick in the guts for SOK. No Johnson, Hilf or Smith either; stiff on Smitteh.
Just got in. Very pleasantly surprised. Not too far from what I was hoping for. No MJ = big tick, No Marsh = massive tick, Rogers = tick for rewarding runs over anything else. I would have kept Smith over Uzi, but not particularly fussed on either. Watson I'd have had in the squad if he was bowling so I'll assume he is, but his place is now be very much performance required or piss off. The quicks are exactly the 5 I'd have picked, and Faulks I'm very much ok with but doubt he'll get a test. Happy enough for Hadds to come in for Wade who would still be a strong shout as the No.6 given the alternatives.

SOK missing out is my only real beef, but he can simply forget it. He should look for a NZ grandparent or something, he'll never get picked for Australia.

Overall, we can do something with this lot.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm just happy that Doherty, Maxwell and Johnson didn't make the squad.

I'm a Faulkner fan so keeping my fingers quiet whenever I read anything negative towards him.

The A squad is interesting. Maddinson and Silk getting a spot ahead of Burns is slightly contentious, but all 3 look talented so what are you going to do?

I wonder if the players selected in Australia A will get a jump on the ODI players like Starc.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would you be so kind as to address my first statement?

Or is this because you've watched Rogers play and you've drawn your own conclusions?
Rogers has a very limited game, he can be bogged down easily with disciplined bowling and lacks the game to be able to put the opposition on their heels by manipulating the field when they try and tie him down.

He is like Khawaja without the leg side play and added fire power. For the same reason I haven't wanted Khawaja in the middle order without first serious work on his game (as I have said on this forum on many occasions) I wouldn't want Rogers.

Khawaja has time on his side. Still young and can easily develop those skills. Rogers on the other hand is in the very twilight on his career and I think he lacks the time needed to be able to make this change.

Pity you can't pick that up by reading cricinfo hey Longers?

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
I'd hope for:

Warner
Cowan
Rogers
Hughes
Clarke
Watson (if bowling - if not then Wade/Khawaja)
Haddin
Pattinson
Harris
Lyon
Bird

for the first test. Siddle will get the gig in front of Bird, but I'd go the other way. Sidds would still play a few tests no doubt as injuries/precautionary rests will occur. If we can keep the collapses to a manageable level we can win a test or two with that side.

Sylvester

State Captain
I wouldn't pick Faulkner unless as a bowler, time to get back to the traditional setup and hopefully Watson pulls his finger out of his ass and bowls to ensure we don't need a bowling all rounder at 7. On the plus at least if the selectors do get the urge to go down that route they won't be picking a Johnson at 7 again.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah strange one abt Burns missing the a squad. I'd have liked all 3 in but thought he'd be ahead of Maddinson and Silk.

Still: No Marsh. :)

adub

International Captain
Australia A squad: Brad Haddin (c), Steve Smith (vc), Jordan Silk, Nick Maddinson, Alex Doolan, Usman Khawaja, Moises Henriques, Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle, Ashton Agar, James Pattinson, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird, Chad Sayers.

Read more: Live coverage: 2013 Ashes squad announcement
Assuming that Burns hasn't been selected because he has a county gig, which I think is the right decision. Apart from the seemingly mandatory kick in the guts for SOK it's a good squad and much better than the last A team joke we sent over last year. Only surprise is that Cowan isn't there seeing as every other non-ODI player seems to be. Bit worried we might be pushing too hard too soon on Agar, but he does look a good package and with Lyon in the squad he's going as No.2 spinner so good experience.

Really did fear we were heading back to Hilditch like selection policies with all the Marsh talk, but both squads selected get it pretty right.