Page 74 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    I reckon England would have done worse with the ball had they had Finn as a 5th bowler. He would have been given the ball for the sake of it, and would have released the pressure created by the other four.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I don't think they're that separate in terms of what ends up happening as a result. If you're overly rigid in your approach to batting and find it difficult to adapt quickly, then the absolute last bowlers you'd want to face are Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath, as an example. (As an aside, the corollary to that is that the bowler you would most want to face is someone like, say, Mitchell Johnson on an average day)
    That has nothing to do with mental strength IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    3rd seamers spot is certainly up for grabs, no? Finn was far from brilliant in NZ, and I'd personally be far happier if Tremlett or Bresnan can get back to their best and into the side. Onions has to be a major shout if he does well in the first half of the Championship too. One warm up game against a New Zealand XI shouldn't be enough to suddenly discard him after a year of waiting in the wings.
    He was very dire indeed in that warm up game though ....

I reckon the biggest winner out of the NZ series might be Bresnan, as long as he's properly fit and unless Finn makes an astonishingly good start to the season.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Bresnan needs to prove he is fully fit and has some pace back before he gets another England cap in any format for me. Be an asset if he does return to form, bit much to expect Tremlett to remain fit though sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    My criticism of that Bell isn't that at all tbh. It's the same one vic makes, really, and it's one I've probably stated about three hundred times: he's too rigid. He doesn't seem to be particularly nuanced in his approach to batting, which leads to an overly simplistic gameplan at times and stupidity like Ahmedebad because he was so reliant on the big hit down the ground to dominate vs spin, to take one example. Or chipping one to a fielder who had literally just moved there, as happened in this series. It's not "softness", but it does give the strong impression that he does genuinely bat like he's brought out a checklist to the crease, and it does make him very vulnerable to shrewd bowling and captaincy even when set.
    Bell is incredibly talented and a very good test player but I cannot stand watching him bat

He reminds me of kids I used to see at Barry Knight's and the Kingsgrove Sports Centre - style but limited substance

I know that this is ridiculously unfair but he really ****s me

I hate the fact that he holds a pose after every single delivery

It totally pisses me off that he makes the most ordinary delivery look like a hand grenade because of his desire to look good

And I cannot stand how complicated he makes batting for someone with his talent e.g. that bull**** premeditated lap sweep he plays is so much nonsense when a single is all he hopes to get from it

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Bell is incredibly talented and a very good test player but I cannot stand watching him bat

He reminds me of kids I used to see at Barry Knight's and the Kingsgrove Sports Centre - style but limited substance

I know that this is ridiculously unfair but he really ****s me

I hate the fact that he holds a pose after every single delivery

It totally pisses me off that he makes the most ordinary delivery look like a hand grenade because of his desire to look good

And I cannot stand how complicated he makes batting for someone with his talent e.g. that bull**** premeditated lap sweep he plays is so much nonsense when a single is all he hopes to get from it
    Well summed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Who rates Hughes? I just can't decide on the ****.
    I rate him when he makes runs but think he's a useless **** when he doesn't!

I'm joking... sort of. But I don't think there is another cricketer at the moment who I get excited about his long term prospects when he's doing okay in the Test arena but think he's completely gash and should be dropped when he fails and its without doubt due to his unorthodox technique.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

Hmmmmm, Say what you like about Bell but he'd walk straight into the current Aussie side and be your second best bat. Fact.

Unless you've got anyone else tucked away that we don't know about that has or has the potential to achieve a test Ave of high 40's and make 17 test tons.

Bell has had a couple of lean years for sure, but still managed to ave 33.6 (2011) and 38.25 (2012)..........should we see how that stacks up against the Aussie top 6

PS LOL.......

In the last test Australia opened the batting and the bowling with a bloke that has 900 odd 1st runs to his name (1x 100) and 34 1st class wickets.

Me thinks the selection headaches are all Australias

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    I'm not saying he's a phenomenal batsman. I just don't think you can call him pea hearted.
    he's a scared wierd little guy. also warner has had a better last couple of years tbh so he wouldn't come in as our second best. small comfort I know
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    he's a scared wierd little guy. also warner has had a better last couple of years tbh so he wouldn't come in as our second best. small comfort I know
    Warner is a home-track bully though, so as well as his batting average well below Bell's it also probably has a few more marks to drop before it befits his level.

Of course Warner could become a better batsman and earn an average of 40+, but he's a bit limited at present.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Bell would probably be Australia's vice captain.

That is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Warner is a home-track bully though, so as well as his batting average well below Bell's it also probably has a few more marks to drop before it befits his level.

Of course Warner could become a better batsman and earn an average of 40+, but he's a bit limited at present.
    god that is a rubbish statement

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    god that is a rubbish statement
    Not saying he is or will be but his away record is not very good so far. England will be a good test for him, going to be interesting to see how he will go. Imagine he will play at least one very good innings but expect plenty of low scores as well.

hey may or may not become one. but 3 tests on caribbean mudpits and 4 tests being his first experience of dusty turners in india does not qualify him one way or the other

Thread Information