Page 73 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Best bit about that game is how his first innings dismissal was just sooooo Bell (tm) and then he bounced back immediately.
    Yeah, it doesn't get any more Bell than caught short cover off the bowling of Chawla for 1 off 28 balls.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

My criticism of that Bell isn't that at all tbh. It's the same one vic makes, really, and it's one I've probably stated about three hundred times: he's too rigid. He doesn't seem to be particularly nuanced in his approach to batting, which leads to an overly simplistic gameplan at times and stupidity like Ahmedebad because he was so reliant on the big hit down the ground to dominate vs spin, to take one example. Or chipping one to a fielder who had literally just moved there, as happened in this series. It's not "softness", but it does give the strong impression that he does genuinely bat like he's brought out a checklist to the crease, and it does make him very vulnerable to shrewd bowling and captaincy even when set.
    Last edited by Spark; 26-03-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Forgotten because England got hammered and he got out in a pretty ugly manner?

Look, he's a good player, and he'll probably do alright. But he does have a marked propensity for getting out in some truly appalling ways at bad times for the team.

Not if they become a pattern. There are some ways you simply should not get out by on a regular basis. Caught in the ring is right up there.
    I remember vehemently advocating dropping Bell for Panesar in the UAE while England were getting whitewashed. Given how Monty went in India, I still think it was a trick missed by Flower & Co.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He's just trolling.
    How many infraction points is that?
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I remember vehemently advocating dropping Bell for Panesar in the UAE while England were getting whitewashed. Given how Monty went in India, I still think it was a trick missed by Flower & Co.
    Panesar actually played two of the Tests in the UAE though and England lost both of them. And without wanting to get into that debate again, England weren't having any trouble bowling Pakistan out for low totals, so a fifth bowler would've just scored no runs and not got a bowl.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Panesar played in the UAE though.

@Spark: fair enough. My annoyance with Bell stereotypes doesn't really come from anything you've said FTR.

My criticism of that Bell isn't that at all tbh. It's the same one vic makes, really, and it's one I've probably stated about three hundred times: he's too rigid. He doesn't seem to be particularly nuanced in his approach to batting, which leads to an overly simplistic gameplan at times and stupidity like Ahmedebad because he was so reliant on the big hit down the ground to dominate vs spin, to take one example. Or chipping one to a fielder who had literally just moved there, as happened in this series. It's not "softness", but it does give the strong impression that he does genuinely bat like he's brought out a checklist to the crease, and it does make him very vulnerable to shrewd bowling and captaincy even when set.
    That's not his reputation from 2005 though, so not really relevant to my post you replied to.

I don't think they're that separate in terms of what ends up happening as a result. If you're overly rigid in your approach to batting and find it difficult to adapt quickly, then the absolute last bowlers you'd want to face are Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath, as an example. (As an aside, the corollary to that is that the bowler you would most want to face is someone like, say, Mitchell Johnson on an average day)
    Last edited by Spark; 26-03-2013 at 09:26 AM.

I don't think they're that separate in terms of what ends up happening as a result. If you're overly rigid in your approach to batting and find it difficult to adapt quickly, then the absolute last bowlers you'd want to face are Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath, as an example.
    Unless you're Mark Rampraskash.

For some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Panesar actually played two of the Tests in the UAE though and England lost both of them. And without wanting to get into that debate again, England weren't having any trouble bowling Pakistan out for low totals, so a fifth bowler would've just scored no runs and not got a bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Panesar played in the UAE though.

@Spark: fair enough. My annoyance with Bell stereotypes doesn't really come from anything you've said FTR.

Fair enough.. I do not recall that series that well, so maybe I was arguing for a seamer over Bell? Either way, given how dross Bell was that series, I think they might as well chanced an additional bowler and try to bowl Pak out for lesser..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Much the same with Trott tbf. Yet Bell still gets far more stick.
    Trott can gagf, been utterly arse since Melbourne.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    No, you advocated dropping Morgan for Finn. I also seem to remember explaining at the time, on numerous occasions, that your idea was completely ********.
    Last edited by Furball; 26-03-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    No, you advocated dropping him for Finn. I also seem to remember explaining at the time, on numerous occasions, that your idea was completely ********.
    well.. given ******** was how Bell was batting, it was at least an even trade IMO..

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    well.. given ******** was how Bell was batting, it was at least an even trade IMO..
    When you see how Finn has become an all rounder of late he'd have outbatted Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    When you see how Finn has become an all rounder of late he'd have outbatted Bell.
    Well.. I have always been blessed with foresight..

Thread Information