Page 72 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Love how Bell still has his reputation from the last two years
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

+ time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Innings today was good, sure, you have seen some of the shots he's played over the last 18 months, yeah? Almost became a parody of himself at times - Ian "caught at short extra cover" Bell.
    Has a good record when it's a case of "Bat to draw, and only to draw". He can compute that.

Yeah indeed. Means he can bring out a simpler checklist when he comes out to bat.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Looking at the winter from an England point of view if before the India tour started we had been offered a draw and a win in the two series we'd have snatched your arm off. The fact we have done it the less obvious way round is a bit weird but not losing in our last 6 tests away from home is a good effort.

As for the ashes, we basically know the England side already as long as Swann and KP are fit with the only selection headache being the number 6 slot which I think Root will get. Good to know we are virtually secure with our line up and the opposition have question marks over ever department of their game. Bring it on I say.
    3rd seamers spot is certainly up for grabs, no? Finn was far from brilliant in NZ, and I'd personally be far happier if Tremlett or Bresnan can get back to their best and into the side. Onions has to be a major shout if he does well in the first half of the Championship too. One warm up game against a New Zealand XI shouldn't be enough to suddenly discard him after a year of waiting in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    What would a combined XI look like at the moment?

Cook
    Warner
    Trott
    KP
    Clarke*
    Bell
    Prior+
    Swann
    Harris/Siddle
    Pattinson
    Anderson

?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Love how Bell still has his reputation from 05
    It's cute really. I think he'll have a good series, may even be England's highest run scorer. Bell's record in England is awesome, and that is even including series like the 2005 Ashes. Even during his horror 2012 he still got runs against the Windies (their attack wasn't garbage by any means either). His 55 off 220 balls second dig at the Oval was a pretty good rearguard that always seems to be forgotten as well.

Clarke was out coming down the track first ball to Jadeja in Mohali. A couple of dismissals shouldn't be used to push away an awesome record over a four year 3-4 year period.

Forgotten because England got hammered and he got out in a pretty ugly manner?

Look, he's a good player, and he'll probably do alright. But he does have a marked propensity for getting out in some truly appalling ways at bad times for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Clarke was out coming down the track first ball to Jadeja in Mohali. A couple of dismissals shouldn't be used to push away an awesome record over a four year 3-4 year period.
    Not if they become a pattern. There are some ways you simply should not get out by on a regular basis. Caught in the ring is right up there.
    Last edited by Spark; 26-03-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Since the home India series it's been a couple of decent knocks in a vast sea of pish.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Since the home India series it's been a couple of decent knocks in a vast sea of pish.
    Quite.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    3rd seamers spot is certainly up for grabs, no? Finn was far from brilliant in NZ, and I'd personally be far happier if Tremlett or Bresnan can get back to their best and into the side. Onions has to be a major shout if he does well in the first half of the Championship too. One warm up game against a New Zealand XI shouldn't be enough to suddenly discard him after a year of waiting in the wings.
    Personally I think Finn will get the nod against NZ and do well so will remain in the side for the ashes.

I'm not saying he's a phenomenal batsman. I just don't think you can call him pea hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Much the same with Trott tbf. Yet Bell still gets far more stick.

But he does have a marked propensity for getting out in some truly appalling ways at bad times for the team.
    Haha yeah he does, and for that reason he's an amusing player. But I actually think it's made him under-rated on here if anything. He's seen as a running joke and he's actually a very good player despite the lols he gives. As you said yourself:

Look, he's a good player, and he'll probably do alright.
    It's hardly the laughing stock it's made out to be that England have Ian Bell playing for them, even if he does make us laugh when he gets out a couple of times in the series. If he was eligible for Australia he'd be their second best batsman with daylight third, fourth and fifth; he's a good bat.

He's very much a confidence player and that's why it's always been suggested that the best way to get him out is inside his head, but he got out of an extended run of poor form with an extremely important century and he's played another gem just gone.

It's in some ways ironic that he was once someone accused of looking great with the bat and racking up good numbers that were in the end inconsequential as he'd score when it wasn't needed and then fail with the heat on. Because what he's done since India's tour of England is compile some pretty terrible overall numbers and get out to ungainly shots that stick in the mind, and then broken that up with a couple of career-defining knocks that were vitally important in England securing a series win and then a series draw.

He's just trolling.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 26-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Best bit about that game is how his first innings dismissal was just sooooo Bell (tm) and then he bounced back immediately.

What annoys me most is what you said Cribb, that there's still this perception that he just cashes in when it's easy. As Marcuss pointed out in the tour thread, over the last few years he's played multiple long rearguard actions at a slow scoring rate. Yet people still talk about him as though he's a guy who'll just score a quick 50 when England are on top.

Thread Information