• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
i would probably pick marsh over umsan but i would probably sooner consider bailey, voges and doolan than those two

Australia's second best batsman, lover of KFC, what's not to like?

Prob make him VC if it was my decision.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why the **** are they naming the squad tomorrow?

Here's an idea - why not wait for a couple of months so that form and fitness can be assessed closer to the tour

social

I would be surprised, but very happy, is Shaun Marsh gets the spot in the Ashes squad.

I can see how people would say he doesn't deserve it looking at pure aggregate in FC cricket in recent times, but that's a very narrow way of looking at it.

I've never ever been one to use short form performances as a reason to pick someone in long form cricket, however Marsh is a different matter. Everyone can see how much of a talent he is, and the last half of the season he just brained attacks in all short forms and he also played well in the FC fixture during that time.

He did everything he possibly could given his schedule and he's always been a confidence player. Marsh had a bad run for a short time at test level and was ill disciplined in domestic cricket, but I have faith that he has sorted that out and turned the corner. I'd go as far as to say Shaun Marsh playing his best cricket is comfortably in Australia's best XI given the lack of middle order players. He's a much better selection than Chris Rogers seeing as though we have four players who play his role better than him currently in the team.

Alex Doolan is stiff if he misses out, and I've been a massive fan of him on here, but he didn't do enough at the pointy end last season where he had a chance to really force the selectors hands, so if he doesn't get a gig he only has himself to blame.

Andre's mail about Brad Haddin may be right, and holy **** I hope it is. It would be like Christmas.
Shaun Marsh has talent

Unfortunately, he has no form, no match fitness, no discipline and a dodgy technique

His selection would be a hail mary of monumental proportions and almost certainly doomed to failure

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Why the **** are they naming the squad tomorrow?

Here's an idea - why not wait for a couple of months so that form and fitness can be assessed closer to the tour
Dont bring logic into this. Invers has a feeling its the way to go. And Pat says thats how the rugger boys would do it.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair all the other players Australia will choose will have all been playing first class cricket non stop the last couple of months so they all have 'match fitness'............................................................

benchmark00

Name me a player you want in the squad that didn't play in India that 'has form' then?

This is quite ridiculous.

benchmark00

That is such a trash post and addresses nothing I have brought up with regards to the selection of Marsh.

Your next line will be about having a korma with Geoff Marsh who said that he reckons Shaun's hammy is a bit too dicey for the series in England, but I will jump in and say that Marsh has just passed a fitness test.

We shouldn't be picking Michael Clarke for the tour either ftr. Has no match fitness or form.

social

That is such a trash post and addresses nothing I have brought up with regards to the selection of Marsh.

Your next line will be about having a korma with Geoff Marsh who said that he reckons Shaun's hammy is a bit too dicey for the series in England, but I will jump in and say that Marsh has just passed a fitness test.

We shouldn't be picking Michael Clarke for the tour either ftr. Has no match fitness or form.
Statements that are prefaced by "I have faith" tells us everything we need to know about your analysis of Marsh

Anyway, last time I checked this was a test tour

Shaun Marsh is a pretty ordinary longer form batsman and there is not one single statistic one can point to that suggests otherwise

Having said that, IF Marsh played fantastically well in the Champions Trophy and was selected on the basis of that form, then I could live with it

However, that obviously will not be the case

As such, they have to judge him on the basis of woeful fc form, shocking injury and disciplinary records plus a few scores in hit and giggle

Sorry, but I dont have faith and nor should the selectors

uvelocity

International Coach
don't think anyone would doubt marsh's ability or potential even if he is 30 or whatever. still has potential, where he should have by now a record. it was this season gone that he was dropped from his state side, and i can't see how you can on the one hand praise selectors of the national team for standing down players with a lack of discipline recently and advocate the selection of someone who has shown a penchant for a lack of discipline himself. and has done nothing to knock doors down. i'm with spikey. voges, bailey, doolan all ahead of smarsh even if there is only one there with the same amount of talent or potential.

benchmark00

lol uvelocity. Saying that once you drop a player for disciplinary reasons he should be banished for the rest of eternity.

benchmark00

Marsh could not have done more since returning to WA. This year his only FC match he made 80 odd. He averaged 50 odd in the big bash and has averaged over 70 in list A for the season. How is it his fault that he hasn't played more first class cricket this year?

Pick him in the squad and if he makes runs in the tour matches and his competitors don't he plays in the XI, simple as that.

Bailey has been knocking the door down though!!!!

Last edited: