• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
However, it is a surprise that Marsh is the name on selectors' lips after the left-hander averaged just 19 in the Sheffield Shield last season.

Marsh's stunning Big Bash form, combined with promising signs of improvement late in the Shield season, have selectors talking.

Another thing counting against Khawaja's Ashes selection is a lack of top-level cricket last summer, when he spent much of the season as a travelling Australian reserve.
There's that awesome using T20 form as a gauge for Test cricket again. He averaged 19 ffs.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would be surprised, but very happy, is Shaun Marsh gets the spot in the Ashes squad.

I can see how people would say he doesn't deserve it looking at pure aggregate in FC cricket in recent times, but that's a very narrow way of looking at it.

I've never ever been one to use short form performances as a reason to pick someone in long form cricket, however Marsh is a different matter. Everyone can see how much of a talent he is, and the last half of the season he just brained attacks in all short forms and he also played well in the FC fixture during that time.

He did everything he possibly could given his schedule and he's always been a confidence player. Marsh had a bad run for a short time at test level and was ill disciplined in domestic cricket, but I have faith that he has sorted that out and turned the corner. I'd go as far as to say Shaun Marsh playing his best cricket is comfortably in Australia's best XI given the lack of middle order players. He's a much better selection than Chris Rogers seeing as though we have four players who play his role better than him currently in the team.

Alex Doolan is stiff if he misses out, and I've been a massive fan of him on here, but he didn't do enough at the pointy end last season where he had a chance to really force the selectors hands, so if he doesn't get a gig he only has himself to blame.

Andre's mail about Brad Haddin may be right, and holy **** I hope it is. It would be like Christmas.

howardj

International Coach
Squad annouced tomorrow

There's always a heart-break story

1993 - Justin Langer
1997 - Matt Hayden etc

Such a great tour on that big bus - they usually borrow Man U's luxury bus

howardj

International Coach
Marsh's FC record this Summer
Marsh's Test record to date
Marsh's history of injury
Marsh's overall FC record

Only this ****ed up panel would pick him

adub

International Captain
Marsh's FC record this Summer
Marsh's Test record to date
Marsh's history of injury
Marsh's overall FC record

Only this ****ed up panel would pick him
Didn't Marsh score a blistering 99* in the Big Bash that convinced the selectors to bring him back in for the Indian series. Masterstroke. At least then he'd come of good form in his first few tests before getting injured (again). Now he has even less to recommend him. He's ****, and he will always be a ****. His greatest talent is for wasting his talent. No matter how desperate we are, we ain't that desperate.

benchmark00

Well articulated by both you.

I especially like how howard can rubbish Marsh's first class ability but recommend Callum Ferguson's with a straight face.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I hate the ****. A lot. And he will never admit he's wrong ever. But I agree with almost all of Benchy's posting in the last 2 pages.

howardj

International Coach
Well articulated by both you.

I especially like how howard can rubbish Marsh's first class ability but recommend Callum Ferguson's with a straight face.
Marsh = proven Test match failure

Ferguson is only a potential Test match failure :ph34r:

Seriously though, his only international exposure has seen him excel

With Pond (little Swamp) it's not just his FC record though...it's an accumulation of things

Red lights everywhere

benchmark00

Marsh has also made runs at test much level. Do we say that Marsh = proven test match run scorer.

Marsh has had far greater success at international level than Ferguson, it's just that Marsh has had an opportunity to also go through stages of poor form at international level.

I'm not saying Marsh should waltz into the starting XI but if he scores runs in the tour games (provided he gets on the tour) he has every right to have another go because he's an asset to Australia when he's playing well.

the big bambino

International Captain
We need to pick injury prone batsman to complement our injury prone fast bowlers and base it on T20 form, on Warne's recommendation, who should have been picked in the sub con and benched for hard or seaming conditions, while overlooking youger players who averaged more than 19 who happens to be a Western Australian like the head selector. Marsh ticks all the boxes.

howardj

International Coach
We need to pick injury prone batsman to complement our injury prone fast bowlers and base it on T20 form, on Warne's recommendation, who should have been picked in the sub con and benched for hard or seaming conditions, while overlooking youger players who averaged more than 19 who happens to be a Western Australian like the head selector. Marsh ticks all the boxes.
Brilliant, brilliant

Seriously though, after being dropped don't you need to go back and demonstrate that you've ironed out the shortcomings in your game; that you've addressed your deficiencies? Marsh has not done that. He's returned to the domestic FC scene and barely had an impact.

If he gets picked tomorrow, I'll hand my badge in.

dermo

agree that Marsh is a talented ****, but hes also a ****.

imo doesn't deserve selection on the back of some hit and giggle bull**** runs and 2 or 3 promising knocks at the back end of the shield season, and if they're supposedly wary of picking Usman due to a lack of competitive cricket, picking the **** who only played half a shield season is no better.

idgaf what benchy says, pick rogers over marsh.

Tangles

I like how Khawaja being in the team but not playing is now hurting him. If they overlook Khawaja based on Homeworkgate then fine but don't pick someone who averages 19, is injury prone and has entirely different behavior issues.

Spikey

i would probably pick marsh over umsan but i would probably sooner consider bailey, voges and doolan than those two

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What's puddles record like playing for Glamorgan? Are the conditions suited to his poor footwork, dire shot selection and nervousness at the crease? :p