• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

uvelocity

International Coach
there have been a few blunders though. perth. sydney. melbourne arguably. india. contract list. expect a couple for the ashes. when you have major challenges with depth and talent every post needs to be made a winner, starting to feel like the skipper was changed but still sailing on a ship of fools. we still don't have the batsmen, but....

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of the strangest things that has been said by Invers is that they are looking for batsmen who can score in all 3 forms of the game

Sorry mate but there are **** all in world cricket that do that so the chances of us producing 6 are somewhere between nought and zero

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. I can understand looking for 2 or 3 batsmen in the XI and maybe 4 or 5 in the squad to remain constant across the 3 formats but to publicly state that that is what you are looking for, is confusing. It is one thing to say that future batsmen should look to be good enough to perform in all 3 formats but quite another to say that is how you are gonna base your selections.

the big bambino

International Captain
One of the strangest things that has been said by Invers is that they are looking for batsmen who can score in all 3 forms of the game

Sorry mate but there are **** all in world cricket that do that so the chances of us producing 6 are somewhere between nought and zero
It is a weird thing to say and contradicted anyway by the contracts given to guys who can't bat to save themselves in tests. If that has to be his stated aim then I'd atleast wish that in not honouring it, he'd bias for test batsmen.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
All three formats? Is that why Warner/Wade are highly rated?

even if we don't have particularly good batsmen right now, better off picking them than the crappy all-rounders who are even worse. Finding good young batsmen has been a problem for just about every country playing tests, batsmen simply aren't groomed properly to play test cricket, they play too much one-day and t20 cricket as juniors.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My list for Santa

Chris Rogers
Ed Cowan
Mark Cosgrove
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
Dave Warner
Brad Haddin
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Ryan Harris
Nathan Lyon

Plus:

Ashton Agar
Steve Smith
Moises Henriques
Matthew Wade
Peter Siddle
Jackson Bird
James Faulkner

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

even if we don't have particularly good batsmen right now, better off picking them than the crappy all-rounders who are even worse. Finding good young batsmen has been a problem for just about every country playing tests, batsmen simply aren't groomed properly to play test cricket, they play too much one-day and t20 cricket as juniors.
That's always been the case though. Kids don't have time for multi-day cricket, you only start the two innings stuff late in high-school.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

When I first played A-grade, there was virtually no one-day cricket and most games were 2-day affairs played over consecutive weekends

As a batsman, you had to really make an innings count as you might only get 1 innings every 3 weeks (day 1 of first game, day 2 of second) so you would think that it would teach people to value their wickets, etc

Unfortunately, the "evidence' contradicts this as that period coincided with Australia's worst ever ranking - dead last in the mid-80s

IMO, our lack of batting depth atm has little to do with what is being played and more to do with lack of talent

the big bambino

International Captain
When I first played A-grade, there was virtually no one-day cricket and most games were 2-day affairs played over consecutive weekends

As a batsman, you had to really make an innings count as you might only get 1 innings every 3 weeks (day 1 of first game, day 2 of second) so you would think that it would teach people to value their wickets, etc

Unfortunately, the "evidence' contradicts this as that period coincided with Australia's worst ever ranking - dead last in the mid-80s

IMO, our lack of batting depth atm has little to do with what is being played and more to do with lack of talent
Yeah but we had 2 sides playing at the time.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Honestly, I think Watson should reinvent himself as a bowling all rounder at 6. Takes the pressure off being neither top order nor frontline bowler, and if he fails from there he only has himself to blame.

Not a lot of red ball cricket left to prove it, mind.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Don't think Bailey would be an unreasonable inclusion in the top 6, given his credentials as a pressure player after this game. Took them from 6-96 to 7-266. Would endorse him at 4.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think Bailey would be an unreasonable inclusion in the top 6, given his credentials as a pressure player after this game. Took them from 6-96 to 7-266. Would endorse him at 4.
Sorry man but his FC stats just don't back him up as a test quality player - look at what happened to every other Aus player who got selected in tests on the back of ODI performances. Mind you, Bailey just scored a composed 93 in a county game, I may change my mind on Bailey if he has a good run in County cricket.