• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would be dancing jigs of delight if Haddin's still in the test XI come 2013, tbh. Wade's keeping must be rustic in the extreme if Haddin's is considered a virtue next to it.

Also think Chappelli isn't seeing the wood for the trees with Watson. Yes, he & Warner could be a destructive opening pair, but with Marsh almost literally unable to score a run, to me #3 looks the obvious fit for him.

Ruckus

International Captain
He said he would think about putting him at 3 though, but only if there is a better opener than him available. Cowan's position is hardly in concrete, and there are definately doubts as to whether he'll be good enough in the long term. There is some uncertainty over Warner as well tbh. Honestly don't think it would make much difference if he is an opener or first drop anyhow, but the important point for me is that he has a role primarily as a batsmen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would be dancing jigs of delight if Haddin's still in the test XI come 2013, tbh. Wade's keeping must be rustic in the extreme if Haddin's is considered a virtue next to it.

Also think Chappelli isn't seeing the wood for the trees with Watson. Yes, he & Warner could be a destructive opening pair, but with Marsh almost literally unable to score a run, to me #3 looks the obvious fit for him.
Yeah; where Watson bats will be determined less by the potential effectiveness of a partnership with Warner or his bowling workload and more by who the selectors think the sixth best batsman is (assuming Watson himself is one of the best five). Presently they seem to think it's Cowan which means Watson doesn't open.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haddin won't be there in 2013. If the WI tour was on post-next round of CA contracts he wouldn't make it there either. But because it starts like 5 days after the tri series finishes he'll probably well.

howardj

International Coach
I really rate the Poms on their home patch

Plus, our leather flingers (Pattinson, Cummins, Lyon etc), have precious little experience in those parts

So, in that series at least, I think we'll get really done over

Ruckus

International Captain
I know it's been mentioned before, but does anyone know where you find out the future test match series'? Someone said SA are visiting Aust before the next Ashes, but where is that info? Cricinfo doesn't seem to list much when you go to the fixtures section...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Shame there isn't a Loins vs Aussies fixture - from the Aussie viewpoint their batsmen get a nice introduction at Taunton

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really rate the Poms on their home patch

Plus, our leather flingers (Pattinson, Cummins, Lyon etc), have precious little experience in those parts

So, in that series at least, I think we'll get really done over
If we stuff you over here I doubt there is enough time for you to regroup and sort yourselves out for the away series staright after. I think we will both series but only after grinding you down over here and it having a bearng in the return with Australia chopping and changing the team searching for a winning side.

Just a hunch, I fancy us to beat/stuff everyone at home anyway.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I think unlike the last series the Australian bowlers are good enough to put pressure on the English batting line-up. But I just can't see the current Australian line-up scoring runs against the English bowling. If they all played a 5-test series against England in English conditions, what would you expect the Australian batsmen to average?

I'd say Warner 30-35, Cowan 25-30, Watson 40, Ponting 30, Clarke 45, Hussey 35-40, Haddin/Wade 30. If I were a gambling person I'd be betting on the downside risk of a few of them (Ponting in particular) rather than the upside. The tail might wag a bit, but I just can't see the current line-up scoring enough runs to win a series.

Is there anyone not in the current line-up who Aussie fans hope will have a stellar 2012-13 season and so break into the side?