• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He means 2012 and 2013. Not sure why his India series figures (43.00) need glossing over though.

Sorry my bad.....typo. Yes it was 2012 and 2013 I was referring to. And good point about his ave in India too..........only M Clarke bettered that for the Aussies over there.

So my point remains. The Aussies can and will continue to LOL at Bell........but he'd still be their second best batsmen.

burr

State Vice-Captain
On top of that, the respective "It's Tough Being Me" threads have 718 replies for KP and 55 for Watto.
Probably because KP actually performs and people were concerned about the prospect of losing him long-term from the England team.

Anyway, I know people like Cowan b/c he tries hard and is generally the only guy with a brain-cell who doesn't present as a bogan in the Australian XI, but I don't hold high hopes for him. He's limited, +30 and can't see him making big tons (or even tons) in England. Hope I'm wrong as he's sure to start but my hopes rest with Hughes. They're not high hopes; more a glimmer that he'll find a way to work with that 'wonderful' technique and score big. Can't see Warner succeeding so maybe Hughes could even move to opening which I'd prefer.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry my bad.....typo. Yes it was 2012 and 2013 I was referring to. And good point about his ave in India too..........only M Clarke bettered that for the Aussies over there.

So my point remains. The Aussies can and will continue to LOL at Bell........but he'd still be their second best batsmen.
This should be encouraged, will make it all the more satisfying when he makes runs against them.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This should be encouraged, will make it all the more satisfying when he makes runs against them.
LOL, don't hold your breath. Even when he had such a brilliant tour of Aus in 10/11 they were still calling him a "spud".

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I doubt the selectors will make many changes to the team for the first test at least. So I think its a safe bet that England can count on seeing Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson and Clarke for sure. I dont think they have finished with the Wade at 6 madness either so thats 6 of the top 7 you can bet on.

I know they have made noises in the press about Watson not having a guaranteed place but since he Captained the last test, he will be in the 1st test. Maybe he doesnt have much rope left. Which would be good. Score some runs or **** off.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I know they have made noises in the press about Watson not having a guaranteed place but since he Captained the last test, he will be in the 1st test. Maybe he doesnt have much rope left. Which would be good. Score some runs or **** off.
Bill Lawry would like a word.

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
I doubt the selectors will make many changes to the team for the first test at least. So I think its a safe bet that England can count on seeing Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson and Clarke for sure. I dont think they have finished with the Wade at 6 madness either so thats 6 of the top 7 you can bet on.

Wade at 6 won"t happen in England.Selectors have been greatly impressed with Smith.Smith will bat at 6 thus pushing Wade at 7.You"re right about Watson chances of playing the first test.Cowan might be the only one under the firing line since selectors might be tempted to draft Rogers in.He could potentially provide Australia the much needed stability for atleast 3 years.

the big bambino

International Captain
Better technique than Phil Hughes. EDIT: I see I'm not the only one to notice.

I think I'd go with Watson for the 1st test ahead of Cowan. On form he doesn't deserve it and I think he's been cruising and allowed Clarke's good form to cover his poor form. He even got a bit of attitude that led him to renounce bowling for a while too.

However with the thrashing in India critics have noticed his bad form and suspect his attitude on the basis of homeworkgate. So I think Watson is now motivated to prove something. He even wants to bowl again. Misses it apparently.

Because I'd like us to bat Wade at 7 we might need someone who can bowl some effective overs when the fast men need a rest. Watson is that man and if he can recapture some of his pre vc form he's better than Cowan imo. So my 1st test XI would be Watson, Warner, Hughes, Usman, Clarke, Smith, Wade, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon. I'll keep the option of Harris for Starc.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
As someone else pointed out its sickening that no one with power or the media saw Wade sucking hard and commented on it. So his batting potential outweighs his keeping looking like a 15 year old with 5 mins warning that he's keeping.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bell would probably be Australia's vice captain.

That is hilarious.
I doubt we'd pick him for vice-captain, the frightened and apologetic look doesn't go well in a speaking role. The fact he'd be our second best batsman tells us more about how far we've fallen than anything else.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Better technique than Phil Hughes. EDIT: I see I'm not the only one to notice.

I think I'd go with Watson for the 1st test ahead of Cowan. On form he doesn't deserve it and I think he's been cruising and allowed Clarke's good form to cover his poor form. He even got a bit of attitude that led him to renounce bowling for a while too.

However with the thrashing in India critics have noticed his bad form and suspect his attitude on the basis of homeworkgate. So I think Watson is now motivated to prove something. He even wants to bowl again. Misses it apparently.

Because I'd like us to bat Wade at 7 we might need someone who can bowl some effective overs when the fast men need a rest. Watson is that man and if he can recapture some of his pre vc form he's better than Cowan imo. So my 1st test XI would be Watson, Warner, Hughes, Usman, Clarke, Smith, Wade, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon. I'll keep the option of Harris for Starc.
Nah, dropping our second best bat from the last tour for Usman and to give us an out of form opener to go with out current hit-and-miss one isn't a good idea IMO.

Khawaja does not have the technique for Test cricket in England. Everyone thinks his forward defense is pretty therefore he has a good technique, but he can't rotate the strike if you put it just outside off. He's exactly the same as Shane Watson in that respect, but at least Twatto can hit the odd straight drive for four. Khawaja just nicks off.

In a Shield game Copeland just kept the ball on that fourth stump line and Khawaja couldn't score, building pressure on himself and down the other end.

Not to mention sending Watson back to opening and bowling will mean he lasts 2 Tests, and in England a settled opening pairing is crucial IMO. Warner and Cowan have to be persisted with up there. The selectors have talked about having a stable opening partnership for the Ashes for so long now that it would be ridiculous to change it now, especially since Cowan performed last series.

Cowan, Warner, Hughes, Watson (ugh), Clarke, Smith, Wade (ugh x2), Siddle, Harris, Pattinson, Lyon as my first XI. Watson out for anyone bar Khawaja would make me happy, as well.

Also, Wade will struggle big time with the gloves in England. It is not an easy place to wicketkeep at all.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm being harsh on Cowan but I think we've seen about as good from him as we'll get. Watson can offer more runs and quicker if in form. He also gives us the bowling option needed. Yes I realise its a gamble and contrary to the trend but I think we'll need something unexpected and going with the formula wont do it. Plus the price of playing Cowan is unbalancing the side with Watto at 4

I can't credit that Watson will break down from opener as opposed to batting at 4.

Usman isn't ideal but allows Clarke to bat at 5.

Wade will be standing back in Eng most of the time. It'll be a doddle compared to keepin in India.