• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a cricket fan i'd like him to be picked, as an England fan I hope he isn't as I rate him. Head says that if he was English i'd be very worried if he was in our squad for a tour as you can't trust his fitness and there are many others in the Aussie squad you can say the same about so it's a no from me. Too big a risk after so long out. Such a shame for the guy and cricket in general.
As others have said, it's a no-brainer to take him on tour

However, it would be foolhardy to pencil him in for more than a couple of tests

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gotta admire the sheer incompetency of CA

An A tour to the UK comprised of matches against Ireland, Scotland and Gloucestershire wont prove anything to anybody let alone provide the players with a platform to push their case for inclusion in the Ashes squad

pup11

International Coach
Again it comes down to the same old debate, why are Shield numbers so important? If the selectors know a player is good enough then they should pick them regardless of how well they are doing in domestic cricket, I'm hoping that the selectors do know that the conditions in Shield cricket are vastly different from international cricket so in that case, how relevant are these stats?

If the same logic were to be applied to the current Australian side, then after the Indian tour it shouldn't make no sense to pick even a single player from that squad apart from Clarke for the Ashes series, but obviously we aren't going to do that because the conditions in England are going to vastly different to the one's in India.

Eventually if we want to compete during the Ashes, then we seriously need to take our best available players and selecting those players isn't going to as simple as picking names from the leading wicket-takers and run-scorers from Shield cricket this season.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gotta admire the sheer incompetency of CA

An A tour to the UK comprised of matches against Ireland, Scotland and Gloucestershire wont prove anything to anybody let alone provide the players with a platform to push their case for inclusion in the Ashes squad
So the only side you play in England is one of the weakest ones, makes sense to me. Why help you along, hardly likely to give us a hand are you?

pup11

International Coach
So the only side you play in England is one of the weakest ones, makes sense to me. Why help you along, hardly likely to give us a hand are you?
So when England comes around to Australia they should play their warm-up games against grade sides on university grounds?

pup11

International Coach
As others have said, it's a no-brainer to take him on tour

However, it would be foolhardy to pencil him in for more than a couple of tests
My biggest concern is Pattinson and Harris playing in the same XI and both of them breaking down in the middle of the game, chances of something like that happening are minimal but the way things have been going for the Aussies it won't be a surprise to see something like that happen.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So when England comes around to Australia they should play their warm-up games against grade sides on university grounds?
My weekend park side would probably be up for a match. Astroturf at the local school, obvs.

Spikey

Well I don't remember the England Lions playing against NSW or Victoria during/right before the 2010-11 ashes

the big bambino

International Captain
Hopefully the Aussies will bring Doherty, Harris and MJ we'll be ok with that because Harris will go down after 2 tests tops and Johnson only ever turns up once a blue moon.
As Nufan said the only gamble with Harris is that he breaks down during a game. But he's worth the spot on the tour as he can be aimed up for a test or 2 and cause England some problems,

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Apparently mickey Arthur has just given a ridiculous interview/presser? Anyone hear what he said?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Now I'm hearing something about someone basically admitting that Hughes was shielded from south Africa???

Burgey

Apparently mickey Arthur has just given a ridiculous interview/presser? Anyone hear what he said?
You all think I'm a hopeless ****, but I've made real strides on this tour and am now giving ****s everywhere real hope.

I heard an interview on radio with Warner before the fourth test, and the hosts had to actually say to him "Dave, you know we're 3-0 down in the series, don't you, not 3-0 up?" based on the management-speak bull**** he was sprouting.

Gone right off Warner until he blazes a massive double in the deciding Test of the Ashes. Hope he gets piles.

the big bambino

International Captain
Not a bad squad mate.

I'd probably have S'OK in there somewhere, and I think Hilf and Bird would be better value than Johnson.

I also think the selectors are likely to go with a Faulkner type, instead of Henriques

Paine also a smokey
Yes I'd forgotten about Faulkner. Might have to rethink Henriques' spot. If Bird is fit he comes in for Johnson for sure. Otherwise its btwn Mitch amd Hilf. I like Hilf as a guy but I'm not a fan of his bowling. His bowling looks flat (for want of a better word) to me. Johnson is far from ideal but he's bowled ok since coming back into the side. He likes a hard pitch. Maybe at the Oval...?

Burgey

Now I'm hearing something about someone basically admitting that Hughes was shielded from south Africa???
They admitted that ages ago.

Quiney was employed as a human shield.

Which, tbf, he has better prospects at than being employed as a test batsman.

Burgey

As Nufan said the only gamble with Harris is that he breaks down during a game. But he's worth the spot on the tour as he can be aimed up for a test or 2 and cause England some problems,
Yeah, if he plays he will cause any line up trouble. Bloke is real quality.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ok just listening to SEN (yeah I know) seems everyone is cracking at it because he's claiming they're on the right track and also that a similar squad will likely be chosen for the ashes ie the players in India are the best Australia have got.

Then I just heard a part of an interview where someone has admitted they did not want to expose Hughes to the number 1 team in the world.

Interesting

benchmark00

The real crime is coming out and saying it because you

a) alienate Quiney by saying he wasn't selected on merit, and;
b) alienate the Prince because you say you don't put trust in him.

It sounds horrible, and I'm not for it, but it worked out well because Hughes was still undergoing, and testing out I guess, his new technique. I think throwing him against the worlds best pace attack would have hurt him if he wasn't 100% confident in his new technique.

But as I said, it was managed horribly. There was no need to come out and say it because on face value you could easily defend Quiney's selection in the first place.