• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

howardj

International Coach
Of all the bizarre and absurd things howardj has suggested, dropping a spinner on the back of a 9 (should've been 10) wicket haul in a match has to be one of the most outlandishly stupid.
Your Mum would have taken 10 for

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Lyon bowled well yes and hes such a likeable **** but still, he's been around for a fair while now and it took a pitch that was turning more than any other pitch he's likely to bowl on for him to finally produce a prolonged spell of threatening bowling and even then in the 2nd innings he was bowling pretty trash for most of it until the kohli wicket. I say take SoK to england as a second spinner but lyon plays as the frontline spinner unless hes complete **** for 2 tests in a row. tbh wouldn't be surprised if we see the poms try and produce a rank turner at some point after what they've just seen

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Lyon bowled well yes and hes such a likeable **** but still, he's been around for a fair while now and it took a pitch that was turning more than any other pitch he's likely to bowl on for him to finally produce a prolonged spell of threatening bowling and even then in the 2nd innings he was bowling pretty trash for most of it until the kohli wicket. I say take SoK to england as a second spinner but lyon plays as the frontline spinner unless hes complete **** for 2 tests in a row. tbh wouldn't be surprised if we see the poms try and produce a rank turner at some point after what they've just seen
Possible, but I don't think they'd have the requisite cojones to leave out Finn and play Bresnan at 7 (which is what they'd be compelled to do if they wanted two spinners).

Then there's the whole will-Swann-be-fit question.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Genuinely didn't think Jadeja would take 24 wickets at 17 and make Clarke his proverbial bitch, either.

I'm comfortable in speculating he'd at least have done better than Johnson.
The ****** down the road would've done better than Johnson, tbh.

the big bambino

International Captain
An early draft squad.

Warner, Cowan, Hughes, Watson, Clarke, Smith, Usman, Rogers

Wade, Haddin

Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Harris, Johnson, Henriques, Lyon

We have alot of openers but that doesn't mean alot of options. Can't really move Hughes there if one of the openers fail as we want him at 3. And Watson's no monty to stay in the team anyway. Hence Rogers. I've come around to LHC's way of thinking. His 50 ave trumps worries over his 35 years. Plus he's made 3 fc tons this year in a difficult season for batting. I'd like to pick Cosgrove but; you know - skinfolds. Smith's good work in India gets him a no.6 spot.

Keepers are a given. Hopefully the incident in India will convince the selectors to pick 2 this time.

Harris just bowled 40 overs in 1st inns of the shield final so his comeback is going nicely. I don't expect he'll aim up for every match but if we use him like a grenade and lob him into a few tests he could unsettle England. Henriques for Hilf who has too many ordinary moments in tests for mine. However he's close to selection all the same. I've assumed Bird wont be fit.

Only one spinner - Lyon. If they aren't picking SOK, for whatever reason, then I wouldn't bother with a 2nd spinner.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Genuinely didn't think Jadeja would take 24 wickets at 17 and make Clarke his proverbial bitch, either.

I'm comfortable in speculating he'd at least have done better than Johnson.
Oh yeah I'm not saying he wouldn't have been handy to have on tour; I would've picked him for the tour and I said so at the start. But that wasn't the point of the discussion at all.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An early draft squad.

Warner, Cowan, Hughes, Watson, Clarke, Smith, Usman, Rogers

Wade, Haddin

Pattinson, Siddle, Starc, Harris, Johnson, Henriques, Lyon

We have alot of openers but that doesn't mean alot of options. Can't really move Hughes there if one of the openers fail as we want him at 3. And Watson's no monty to stay in the team anyway. Hence Rogers. I've come around to LHC's way of thinking. His 50 ave trumps worries over his 35 years. Plus he's made 3 fc tons this year in a difficult season for batting. I'd like to pick Cosgrove but; you know - skinfolds. Smith's good work in India gets him a no.6 spot.

Keepers are a given. Hopefully the incident in India will convince the selectors to pick 2 this time.

Harris just bowled 40 overs in 1st inns of the shield final so his comeback is going nicely. I don't expect he'll aim up for every match but if we use him like a grenade and lob him into a few tests he could unsettle England. Henriques for Hilf who has too many ordinary moments in tests for mine. However he's close to selection all the same. I've assumed Bird wont be fit.

Only one spinner - Lyon. If they aren't picking SOK, for whatever reason, then I wouldn't bother with a 2nd spinner.
Dont think you can assume that the keepers are a given as:

a. Wade was horrendous in India; and

b. Paine is the selectors' love child and has proven that he is back to fitness

I also think that they will pick 2 spinners and that Johnson should not be picked to play England again irrespective of the injury toll

uvelocity

International Coach
i'm a buy low sell high guy
watson to play 10 tests
hits the 3rd fastest hundred of all time
bags 5 pfieffers

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Hopefully the Aussies will bring Doherty, Harris and MJ we'll be ok with that because Harris will go down after 2 tests tops and Johnson only ever turns up once a blue moon.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Harris doesn't have to come on the trip as an alternative to someone else FFS. They can take him, and if he crocks himself before the first test or whatever, then they just go on assuming he's not there, with the squad they would have taken without him. It's a benefit only decision to pick him, the way I see it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Harris doesn't have to come on the trip as an alternative to someone else FFS. They can take him, and if he crocks himself before the first test or whatever, then they just go on assuming he's not there, with the squad they would have taken without him. It's a benefit only decision to pick him, the way I see it.
I agree with you as long as he doesn't pull up injured half way through a game and I really, really don't want the selectors to play our keeper at 6 and bring in an extra bowling option who is really just a bits and pieces player like a Maxwell or Henriques just in case this sort of thing happens. I know it could happen to anyone, but Harris is definitely more likely.

From the squad that toured India - Henriques, Maxwell, Wade, Doherty and Johnson have no place in my 17 man squad.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If Watson is playing it probably wouldn't be too big of an issue. But I guess quite a lot of folk here wouldn't have Watson in their full strength team at the moment.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Watson is playing it probably wouldn't be too big of an issue. But I guess quite a lot of folk here wouldn't have Watson in there full strength team at the moment.
Injury permitting I think he's going to play for sure. But how fit is he going to be with his bowling? Last Ashes in England his bowling was ineffective.