Page 49 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    6. Wade
    7. Nev

Problems solved.

I actually would have Neville behind Wade as the second keeper in India.

You mean backstop half way to the boundary?

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    You mean backstop half way to the boundary?

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    B00nchm00rks batsmen outside the XI who are better batsmen than Wade:

• Khawaja
    • D00lan
    • Shaun Marsh
    • Haddin
    • David Hussey
    • Joe Burns
    • George Bailey
    • Steve Smith
    • Shane Watson
    • Andrew McDonald

Et al.
    I don't get your Wade-hate, he's 24-years-old and he's made 3000-odd FC runs at over 40, despite most of his career coinciding with a period of juicier Shield wickets, and two Test hundreds in important situations in games where nobody else has hit 3 figures.

His keeping is dross and he can be a bit careless and slash-happy at times, but he 's (with the exception of Hughes) the best under-25 batsman we've got.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    I don't get your Wade-hate, he's 24-years-old and he's made 3000-odd FC runs at over 40, despite most of his career coinciding with a period of juicier Shield wickets, and two Test hundreds in important situations in games where nobody else has hit 3 figures.

His keeping is dross and he can be a bit careless and slash-happy at times, but he 's (with the exception of Hughes) the best under-25 batsman we've got.
    My 'Wade hate' is born out of watching him slog his way to runs down the order. He's not a long term top six option. You quote his record in shield, which is ok, but you're quick to pan the other top order bats who are getting found out on juicy shield wickets because they actually bat when the wickets still are juicy!

Wade is fine when the ball is doing nothing, the bowlers are up and down and the pitch is true. But you pick a top six bat with the idea that you're going to be 4/80, not 4/400.

You can put a dozen young Australian bats at 6 and lower in shield cricket and they'll average as good or better than Wade. As a keeper batsman who bats 7 Wade is decent enough with the bat, as a stand alone bat at 6? No no no no no no and no.

The idea that we're going from Hussey to Wade just sends shivers down my spine.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 11-01-2013 at 06:39 AM.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

I agree with some respect, and if Wade weren't handling the gloves then he'd have to do his work higher. I feel very similarly about Maxwell; for him to be close to getting games for Australia, he should be batting at five or so. But I do think that you don't give enough credit for the amount of times that Wade has dug the Bushrangers out of the ****; he's made a heap of runs for them when they've been in serious trouble, and not that many when they've been "4/400".

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I agree with some respect, and if Wade weren't handling the gloves then he'd have to do his work higher. I feel very similarly about Maxwell; for him to be close to getting games for Australia, he should be batting at five or so. But I do think that you don't give enough credit for the amount of times that Wade has dug the Bushrangers out of the ****; he's made a heap of runs for them when they've been in serious trouble, and not that many when they've been "4/400".
    Wade has made a shield ton coming in at 4/77 (score ended up 300, good knock from the looks), and one where he came in at 4/140 (360 odd, decent knock also) and the rest he has made when coming in at 300 odd and 400 odd.

Anyway, if Wade gives up the gloves I'd expect him to improve his batting, but he has to actually prove he has improved it. As it stands he's not good enough to bat in the top six for Australia as a batsman alone.

He has two options:

Improve his glove work and bat at seven or;
    Give up keeping and become a batsman, and improve his batting so he is actually in the top six bats.

He should do the first. Until then, they should pick Haddin IMO.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    I don't think 'slogging runs down the order' does him justice, at Perth he came in at 6/45 and made our only decent contribution, at the Gabba earlier this summer he came in at 4/40 for the Vics and played the standout knock of the match, at Dominica he came in at 5/150-odd and made our only hundred of the series. I cbf trawling through Shield cards but I suspect these performances aren't outliers. He bats low and he's a bit ungainly but he's still been mighty effective to date.

Kind've ironic that you labelled Haddin a better bat when he's such a prime example of cashing in on a solid foundation but going missing when the pressure's on, all of his Test hundreds came in innings in which at least one (and on one occasion three) of his colleagues hit tons.

But I'm not the one saying Haddin is in Australia's top six bats... So the relevance? Zilch.

The idea that we're going from Hussey to Wade just sends shivers down my spine.
    Agreed, however I get a similar feeling about all the alternatives as well. This is especially true with Watson giving up bowling as it means someone like Maxwell or Henriques is suddenly much more likely, both of whom I think are clearly worse batsmen than Wade at this point in time.

Wade's Test and FC averages flatter him when as a top six option when comparing him to the alternatives, no doubt. But I'm still not really convinced that someone like Khawaja or Doolan would be a better Test six and I really don't think Maxwell would be right now.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 11-01-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Wade's Test and FC averages flatter him when as a top six option when comparing him to the alternatives, no doubt. But I'm still really convinced that someone like Khawaja or Doolan would be a better Test six and I really don't think Maxwell would be right now.
    Agreed but the selectors seem determined that number 6 is an all-rounder so we have that 5th bowler option in the side.

Anyway, if Wade gives up the gloves I'd expect him to improve his batting, but he has to actually prove he has improved it. As it stands he's not good enough to bat in the top six for Australia as a batsman alone.

He has two options:

Improve his glove work and bat at seven or;
    Give up keeping and become a batsman, and improve his batting so he is actually in the top six bats.

He should do the first. Until then, they should pick Haddin IMO.
    Short memory

Haddin was ****ing awful for an extended period before Wade took his place

If he was to be replaced, Paine should be the guy

However, I wouldnt do so yet

BTW, Rod Marsh was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar worse than Wade behind the stumps at a similar stage of his career and didnt turn out too bad

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

BTW, Rod Marsh was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar worse than Wade behind the stumps at a similar stage of his career and didnt turn out too bad
    This is a really legit comparison imo.

However, Wade is the worst keeper Australia have played in my time of watching. He is decent to pace, but terrible to Lyon's spin. He should be batting at 7, and if his keeping costs us a game, he should be dropped.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Haddin was ****ing awful for an extended period before Wade took his place

he also played with an injured elbow for most of that period.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Thread Information