Page 45 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 675 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

  1. #661
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    From an England point of view I would be an awful lot happier if they go with Starc over Bird from what we have seen in this series.
    Starc went pretty well with the French last season, tbf. Leading T20 wicket taker in our domestic comp.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

  2. #662
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,089
    Starc still reminds me of Finn, all the basic ingredients are there, he manages to take wickets, even if he's not bowling particularly well (and will definitely do so when hot), but there will be times that he leaks like a sieve.

  3. #663
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,619
    So if Watson wants to open again and not bowl I'm fine with dropping Ed but what happens to the middle order? Clarke and Khawaja at 4/5 or the reverse is fine but we really need runs at 6 imo. Maxwell first in line with a shot at the all rounder spot maybe.

  4. #664
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    490
    If Watson wants to open the batting and can make some big scores in that position in the shield, considering his record there and Ed's inability to run properly between the wickets I think he would make a pretty good case for himself.

    Would not be opposed to putting Khawaja at 6 and Cowan at 4, even if just temporarily until we find somebody better. Seems like a good guy to have around the team, just needs to justify his selection via weight of runs.


  5. #665
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,089
    As opposed to Watto's running between wickets...

  6. #666
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,627
    Cowan's career will always be like how it's panned out so far imo. Steady but unspectacular.

    Don't really think there's a need to change the one thing that's doing well in Australia's batting, Cowan and Warner have been one of the better opening pairs in recent times.

  7. #667
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Cowan's career will always be like how it's panned out so far imo. Steady but unspectacular.

    Don't really think there's a need to change the one thing that's doing well in Australia's batting, Cowan and Warner have been one of the better opening pairs in recent times.
    Steady is way too favourable to Cowen, he just isn't good enough.

  8. #668
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    116
    Siddle seems to be the only sure of getting a spot among pacers for Ashes, right?

    Seems like other contenders could make a case or get behind others depending on performance against India.

  9. #669
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,619
    Warner
    Cowan
    Hughes
    Watson/Khawaja
    Clarke
    Maxwell/?
    Wade
    Siddle
    Starc/MJ
    Bird
    Lyon

    India is going to be very important for people to lock down Ashes spots. If you look at the current team plus a Hussey replacement probably only Clarke would survive a horror series. Warner, Wade, Siddle and Lyon probably get tickets with average performances. If he's fit Pattinson would probably be ok also. Hard to know where MJ fits with all the crap the selectors keep saying but if he failed then that would be MJ being MJ right.

    The batting is where the heat will be on to perform. I don't know how much leeway Cowan and Hughes have if they hit a trot and I have a feeling that Khawaja/Maxwell/? would have none. No doubt that 100 against a SL B team means Wade is a lock baring injury.

  10. #670
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarun View Post
    Siddle seems to be the only sure of getting a spot among pacers for Ashes, right?

    Seems like other contenders could make a case or get behind others depending on performance against India.
    Injury aside, Pattinson is 100% in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    India is going to be very important for people to lock down Ashes spots. If you look at the current team plus a Hussey replacement probably only Clarke would survive a horror series. Warner, Wade, Siddle and Lyon probably get tickets with average performances.
    I really can't see them dropping Warner, regardless of how he goes in India. Only injury would keep him out of the being on the plane to England. He's done enough already IMO and there's simply not anyone else sticking their hands up.
    Last edited by andyc; 07-01-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  11. #671
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,619
    When is Pattinson expected back?

  12. #672
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,432
    I hear he's already bowling in the nets.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  13. #673
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,437
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Starc still reminds me of Finn, all the basic ingredients are there, he manages to take wickets, even if he's not bowling particularly well (and will definitely do so when hot), but there will be times that he leaks like a sieve.
    Starc definitely has the better action (IMO, Finn's has definitely deteriorated lately) and has the additional advantages of being left-handed and being able to swing both the old and new ball

    Having said that. both are relatively young so inconsistency is to be expected

  14. #674
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    142

    Icon7

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post

    The batting is where the heat will be on to perform. I don't know how much leeway Cowan and Hughes have if they hit a trot and I have a feeling that Khawaja/Maxwell/? would have none. No doubt that 100 against a SL B team means Wade is a lock baring injury.
    If Hughes doesn't make it to the first ashes test selectors would have seriously lost it.Hughes and Clarke will be the backbone of our batting for atleast the next 5 years.Bird , Pattinson, Siddle and Lyon are our best attack.RIghtly imo Lyon is a certain for the ashes.I wonder where all this Lyon hate came from.The guy is the best option by a mile.

  15. #675
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    Warner
    Cowan
    Hughes
    Watson/Khawaja
    Clarke
    Maxwell/?
    Wade
    Siddle
    Starc/MJ
    Bird
    Lyon

    India is going to be very important for people to lock down Ashes spots. If you look at the current team plus a Hussey replacement probably only Clarke would survive a horror series. Warner, Wade, Siddle and Lyon probably get tickets with average performances. If he's fit Pattinson would probably be ok also. Hard to know where MJ fits with all the crap the selectors keep saying but if he failed then that would be MJ being MJ right.

    The batting is where the heat will be on to perform. I don't know how much leeway Cowan and Hughes have if they hit a trot and I have a feeling that Khawaja/Maxwell/? would have none. No doubt that 100 against a SL B team means Wade is a lock baring injury.
    If Watson can't be relied upon to bowl, this is what I'd be looking at for India/ the Ashes...

    - Warner
    - Cowan
    - Hughes
    - Khawaja
    - Clarke
    - D. Hussey
    - Wade
    - Siddle
    - Pattinson
    - Starc/Cummins
    - Lyon

    Loads of left handers in that top order, but I'm thinking that might be a good thing against Anderson's swing?

    Dussey provides the following- a proven first class record, experience, a fifth bowling option and very good fielding. Considering how green our whole side is, I think he's a sensible option.

    If Harris can get fit, he provides another good option. Think he'd be awesome in both India and England.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV
    By four_or_six in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 10:11 AM
  2. Ashes Coming Home
    By SurreyFan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 05:41 AM
  3. Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends
    By The Sean in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  4. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •