Page 45 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    From an England point of view I would be an awful lot happier if they go with Starc over Bird from what we have seen in this series.
    Starc went pretty well with the French last season, tbf. Leading T20 wicket taker in our domestic comp.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Starc still reminds me of Finn, all the basic ingredients are there, he manages to take wickets, even if he's not bowling particularly well (and will definitely do so when hot), but there will be times that he leaks like a sieve.

So if Watson wants to open again and not bowl I'm fine with dropping Ed but what happens to the middle order? Clarke and Khawaja at 4/5 or the reverse is fine but we really need runs at 6 imo. Maxwell first in line with a shot at the all rounder spot maybe.

U19 Cricketer
    If Watson wants to open the batting and can make some big scores in that position in the shield, considering his record there and Ed's inability to run properly between the wickets I think he would make a pretty good case for himself.

Would not be opposed to putting Khawaja at 6 and Cowan at 4, even if just temporarily until we find somebody better. Seems like a good guy to have around the team, just needs to justify his selection via weight of runs.

As opposed to Watto's running between wickets...

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Cowan's career will always be like how it's panned out so far imo. Steady but unspectacular.

Don't really think there's a need to change the one thing that's doing well in Australia's batting, Cowan and Warner have been one of the better opening pairs in recent times.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Cowan's career will always be like how it's panned out so far imo. Steady but unspectacular.

Don't really think there's a need to change the one thing that's doing well in Australia's batting, Cowan and Warner have been one of the better opening pairs in recent times.
    Steady is way too favourable to Cowen, he just isn't good enough.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Siddle seems to be the only sure of getting a spot among pacers for Ashes, right?

Seems like other contenders could make a case or get behind others depending on performance against India.

Warner
    Cowan
    Hughes
    Watson/Khawaja
    Clarke
    Maxwell/?
    Wade
    Siddle
    Starc/MJ
    Bird
    Lyon

India is going to be very important for people to lock down Ashes spots. If you look at the current team plus a Hussey replacement probably only Clarke would survive a horror series. Warner, Wade, Siddle and Lyon probably get tickets with average performances. If he's fit Pattinson would probably be ok also. Hard to know where MJ fits with all the crap the selectors keep saying but if he failed then that would be MJ being MJ right.

The batting is where the heat will be on to perform. I don't know how much leeway Cowan and Hughes have if they hit a trot and I have a feeling that Khawaja/Maxwell/? would have none. No doubt that 100 against a SL B team means Wade is a lock baring injury.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarun View Post
    Siddle seems to be the only sure of getting a spot among pacers for Ashes, right?

Seems like other contenders could make a case or get behind others depending on performance against India.
    Injury aside, Pattinson is 100% in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    India is going to be very important for people to lock down Ashes spots. If you look at the current team plus a Hussey replacement probably only Clarke would survive a horror series. Warner, Wade, Siddle and Lyon probably get tickets with average performances.
    I really can't see them dropping Warner, regardless of how he goes in India. Only injury would keep him out of the being on the plane to England. He's done enough already IMO and there's simply not anyone else sticking their hands up.
    Last edited by andyc; 07-01-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

When is Pattinson expected back?

I hear he's already bowling in the nets.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Starc still reminds me of Finn, all the basic ingredients are there, he manages to take wickets, even if he's not bowling particularly well (and will definitely do so when hot), but there will be times that he leaks like a sieve.
    Starc definitely has the better action (IMO, Finn's has definitely deteriorated lately) and has the additional advantages of being left-handed and being able to swing both the old and new ball

Having said that. both are relatively young so inconsistency is to be expected

School Boy/Girl Captain

Icon7

The batting is where the heat will be on to perform. I don't know how much leeway Cowan and Hughes have if they hit a trot and I have a feeling that Khawaja/Maxwell/? would have none. No doubt that 100 against a SL B team means Wade is a lock baring injury.
    If Hughes doesn't make it to the first ashes test selectors would have seriously lost it.Hughes and Clarke will be the backbone of our batting for atleast the next 5 years.Bird , Pattinson, Siddle and Lyon are our best attack.RIghtly imo Lyon is a certain for the ashes.I wonder where all this Lyon hate came from.The guy is the best option by a mile.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Warner
    Cowan
    Hughes
    Watson/Khawaja
    Clarke
    Maxwell/?
    Wade
    Siddle
    Starc/MJ
    Bird
    Lyon

India is going to be very important for people to lock down Ashes spots. If you look at the current team plus a Hussey replacement probably only Clarke would survive a horror series. Warner, Wade, Siddle and Lyon probably get tickets with average performances. If he's fit Pattinson would probably be ok also. Hard to know where MJ fits with all the crap the selectors keep saying but if he failed then that would be MJ being MJ right.

If Watson can't be relied upon to bowl, this is what I'd be looking at for India/ the Ashes...

- Warner
    - Cowan
    - Hughes
    - Khawaja
    - Clarke
    - D. Hussey
    - Wade
    - Siddle
    - Pattinson
    - Starc/Cummins
    - Lyon

Loads of left handers in that top order, but I'm thinking that might be a good thing against Anderson's swing?

Dussey provides the following- a proven first class record, experience, a fifth bowling option and very good fielding. Considering how green our whole side is, I think he's a sensible option.

If Harris can get fit, he provides another good option. Think he'd be awesome in both India and England.

Thread Information