• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I needed included on standby Harris and Johnson if Bird of Hilf arent 100% but figured 17 was enough.

With Cosgrove, he actually is quite an ideal backup batsman as he could slot into any spot within the top six quite comfortably. He has English experience and ideally I want to see a top six of genuine batsman but his occasional medium pace is probably more useful compared to the occasional spin of the other batsman. Also, he's in reasonable nick.

I can't see how we'd retain Hughes really, but then I guess I've gone Khawaja while others would probably go Watson.

Agree that Henriques is far from safe. I hope he doesn't play first Test of the Ashes, but he probably should stay in the squad.

Big Bailey fan but he can't possibly tour after a Forrestesque Shield season.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Reckon he's started his career OK, and I reckon the Australian selectors would want an all-rounder in there given Watson isn't bowling.
I know you said Australian selectors so you might not hold the view, but why do we need such a capable fifth bowling option given the amount of rotation our face bowlers do? Siddle and Starc have proven to be durable too.

BTW if it were my team I would play 6 bats, keeper, 3 quicks and the most economical spinner who can take wickets domestically. Ie OKeefe would be in my time performing the Giles type role as number 8 and tight spin.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I know it's an enormous longshot but I feel as though a Ponting return, as unlikely as it is, could be a greater possibility than we think. We are in desperate need of experience (I doubt he'd have retired if he knew Huss was going to go too), has been in ridiculous shield form and I have no doubt that if Clarke asked him he'd come back.

#PlzRick

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Burns has a British passport. Bailey has had two stints as the Scotland overseas player in the OD Comp (07/10) so he might have one as well, or they might have a grandfather clause (the new rules came in around 2010-11). Cowan, Quiney, Starc etc all signed their county contracts weeks and months after their test debut for a reason.
I was of the impression it was any international cricket, not just Tests. But yeah, fair enough if it is Test-only.

adub

International Captain
I wouldn't hazard a guess at what the selectors will do as it would just depress me to think like they do, but I'd be looking at something like:

Warner
Cowan (settled and reasonably consistent opening pair)
Rogers (old, but we need an old pro at the top of the order, coming off another good season and with excellent English experience. Could get 2 or 3 valuable years out of him. Give him the VC too)
Hughes (India has been awful for him, but his home summer was superb. Deserves first crack in England)
Clarke (5 is his spot. You don't weaken a strength to strengthen a weakness)
Smith (6 and 7 are the spots I've most issue with)
Wade (as above)
O'Keefe (has more than earned a chance. Will keep it tight, pick up a few poles and contribute handy runs)
Harris (looks like he's fit and firing - Still our no.1)
Pattinson (gun)
Bird (will do great in England)

The other six I'd take would be Lyon, Haddin, Siddle, Starc, Henriques and Cosgrove.
I'd be tempted to play Wade at 6 and give Hadds the gloves but Smith grabbed his chance so has probably bought himself a few tests. Wade/Haddin at 6 and Henriques at 7 could also be an option if conditions merited it. Cosgrove won't get picked of course, but to my mind no other batsman has gone close to earning a spot (unless Ponting did want a crack). Cossie is a fat bugger, but he's a fat bugger that averages 40+ season after season, has plenty of English experience and can bowl some handy overs if required. He'd do a job for us if he was required. Starc and Sidds would be the back up quicks, but I still have plenty of questions about Starc as a red ball bowler, and would be trying to find a way of smuggling McDermott into Siddle's luggage - not the bowler he was under Billy's guidance.

Watson can **** right off. Doesn't make enough runs to justify his place and breaks when he bowls. If he could bowl and stay fit he'd have Henriques spot but making him VC was a joke.

Johnson can **** right off because he's Mitchell ****ing Johnson.

Khawaja can **** right off because whilst I was a fan he hasn't really earned a recall through weight of runs and he doesn't turn the strike over. Needs to get back to the Shield and dominate, not just dick around at <40 like he has been. Not doing his homework just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Doherty can **** right off because he's not even fit for the Shield. Disgraceful selection.

Maxwell can bide his time. I think he could become a very handy player but needs to decide if he wants to be T20 slapper or a proper cricketer. If the latter then get himself moved up the order to say 5 at least for Victoria and make runs with very handy offies as a big bonus.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
We seriously need to bite the bullet and select Cosgrove. Might be a fat tool, but we really need someone who can bat in the middle order, ffs.

- Cowan
- Warner
- Cosgrove
-
- Clarke
-
- Haddin
- Pattinson
- Starc
- Bird/Harris
- Lyon

No idea about the other two batsmen. Imagining Watson will come back in at #4.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was of the impression it was any international cricket, not just Tests. But yeah, fair enough if it is Test-only.
I've always seen it as tests (1 in the last 2 years, 5 in the last 5 iirc), but any international would explain why Dussey and Voges are still getting contracts (of course, they could also get in via passports, wives etc)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon I've got more chance of being selected for the Ashes than Rogers or Cosgrove

Burns is a good chance IMO

adub

International Captain
Reckon I've got more chance of being selected for the Ashes than Rogers or Cosgrove

Burns is a good chance IMO
Don't disagree with you but that's a symptom of our malaise.

No matter how good Burns may end up being I don't think a guy like Burns who has come off a Shield season with the mighty average of 34.5 should be anywhere near the team in front of a guy with 8,000 fc runs @ 43 batting at the sharp end who has had yet another 40+ average season let along a guy with 19,000 fc runs at 50 opening who has averaged 50 again this Shield season. We just don't have that luxury atm.

I'm a Burns fan and hope he can come on and become a top notch player, but let him force his way in by making runs. Not a couple of tons and lots of ducks and sfa scores. We might as well have stuck with Marcus North if that was all we were looking for.

social

Don't disagree with you but that's a symptom of our malaise.

No matter how good Burns may end up being I don't think a guy like Burns who has come off a Shield season with the mighty average of 34.5 should be anywhere near the team in front of a guy with 8,000 fc runs @ 43 batting at the sharp end who has had yet another 40+ average season let along a guy with 19,000 fc runs at 50 opening who has averaged 50 again this Shield season. We just don't have that luxury atm.

I'm a Burns fan and hope he can come on and become a top notch player, but let him force his way in by making runs. Not a couple of tons and lots of ducks and sfa scores. We might as well have stuck with Marcus North if that was all we were looking for.
Unfortunately the selectors dont seem to think this way

uvelocity

International Coach
So nothing much has changed then hey Uvo :laugh:

Finally made my way over here following your recommendation yonks ago......so any room here for a mad English supporter who has the fortune to live in the sun in paradise but the misfortune to do so with a nation of Cons:lol:
sorry forum :unsure:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We seriously need to bite the bullet and select Cosgrove. Might be a fat tool, but we really need someone who can bat in the middle order, ffs.

- Cowan
- Warner
- Cosgrove
-
- Clarke
-
- Haddin
- Pattinson
- Starc
- Bird/Harris
- Lyon

No idea about the other two batsmen. Imagining Watson will come back in at #4.
I don't see a guy who can't or won't shift the pounds expected of a professional sportsman fitting into the current Australian team, particularly off the back of homework gate.

From an English point of view, our 3rd seamer spot will be interesting.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Suspect the early season county games will be pretty important. Reckon it's a three way battle between Bres, Finn and Onions.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon he's started his career OK, and I reckon the Australian selectors would want an all-rounder in there given Watson isn't bowling.
How long as he been a trundler for? Looked a legit fast bowler during the U19 days but he also looked like a proper batsman then as well.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tremlettttt
Hadn't though about him really. Didn't play at all last season did he? Reckon it could be a bit of a long shot for him to be back to his best come July, but I'd certainly be a fan of him being around the side if he can get fit and start bowling well. I'd particularly be keen for him to tour Australia again.

Pothas

If he can play regular county cricket up until July then he should be more than ready. It is a massive if though.

If he is fit though I have no doubt that Anderson, Broad and Tremlett is England's best attack.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't see a guy who can't or won't shift the pounds expected of a professional sportsman fitting into the current Australian team, particularly off the back of homework gate.

From an English point of view, our 3rd seamer spot will be interesting.
I know what you're saying, but I think it's time to select some batsmen who can make some runs.