• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

uvelocity

International Coach
so, ashes tests are increased to 3 innings each in order to last at least 4 days hey

battle of who's worse?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
so, ashes tests are increased to 3 innings each in order to last at least 4 days hey

battle of who's worse?
Not taking into account the English summer. It's why Watson loves England, it the only country where he can bat for 2 days solid.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
There were plenty of Mr Ronans years ago.

Speaking of Ronan, lack of posts in India series thread is disappointing. Was hoping for more complaints about biased umpiring and no LBW decisions going Australia's way.
Hahaha jeezus christ guys, relax! Could I have made my trolling efforts any more lame and tongue-in-cheek? Just having a joke.

And Jono I'm travelling across Europe at the moment having a ball which explains my lack of posts the past few days. There's plenty of characters around to whinge about supposedly biased umpiring but I'm not one of them...Aussies were rat****, plain and simple.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The 17 man Ashes Squad

Cowan Warner Khawaja Clarke Smith Burns Cosgrove
Wade Haddin
Henriques
Pattinson Starc Siddle Bird Hilfenhaus
Agar Lyon

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
just generally causing mischief, as is my wont
So nothing much has changed then hey Uvo :laugh:

Finally made my way over here following your recommendation yonks ago......so any room here for a mad English supporter who has the fortune to live in the sun in paradise but the misfortune to do so with a nation of Cons:lol:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The 17 man Ashes Squad

Cowan Warner Khawaja Clarke Smith Burns Cosgrove
Wade Haddin
Henriques
Pattinson Starc Siddle Bird Hilfenhaus
Agar Lyon
I won't name my 17 because it's far too early, but I'd nominally be picking from this group of 27:

Clarke, Watson, Warner, Cowan, Smith, Hughes, Burns, Bailey, Khawaja, Doolan
Wade, Haddin
Henriques, MMarsh
Pattinson, Starc, Siddle, Bird, Hilfenhaus, Harris, Johnson, Faulkner, Sayers, Copeland
Agar, Lyon, O'Keefe

Bolded are guys playing in the CC, so if they perform in that they could bolt into contention pretty quickly. Sayers a massive long shot, given how untried he is.

And FFS, we need to get more blokes over there on County contracts. Faulkner, Bird and MMarsh (when fit), in particular, could benefit from it.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's very very hard to get a county contract nowadays. i doubt Faulkner or Marsh can get one. You need to have played test cricket, or have a British passport, and stuff like that, to get past Home Office/The ECB

morgieb

These players are safe IMO:

Warner
Cowan (who's really better?)
Clarke
Smith (good innings yesterday, should save him)
Haddin
Wade (dunno who else would be in contention out of keepers)
Henriques (new Watson?)
Pattinson (handled himself better than others involved in homeworkgate)
Siddle (still the attack leader)

Not even 100% confident on Lyon or Starc.

Options for other players:

Batsmen:

Watson (vice-captain, but has lost a lot of respect due to homeworkgate)
Khawaja (****ty attitude but a talent)
Hughes (good attitude but horribly out of nick)
Doolan (best Shield season out of the guys not in the side)
Burns (seems like a good young talent, but when is he playing in England?)
Bailey (crap Shield form but seen as next in line)

I'd like to see Rogers and Cosgrove play, but it won't happen

Spinners:

Lyon (has been crap lately but still probably the leading spinner)
Agar (has been good at Shield cricket, can bat, young)
O'Keefe (see above but apparently people don't rate him)
Doherty (the fact that he's in India means his name will still be in the selectors thoughts unfortunately)

Quicks:

Starc (has been awful in India, could be theoretically left out)
Bird (looks gun. Really should play, but not enough confidence to mark him down as a certainty)
Hilfenhaus (bowled good in England last time, still took wickets against SA although looked meh)
Harris (comes down to his fitness. Our best bowler when fit IMO)
Johnson (bowled decently recently but lost points for homeworkgate, the end?)
Faulkner (good in FC cricket, and has played internationals recently)
Coulter-Nile (hyped for some reason)
Sayers (rated as a bolter, been good in Shield cricket)
M Marsh (seen as the golden child for some reason, outside bet if he finds form)

I'd like to see Bollinger and Butterworth in contention, but again it won't happen.

morgieb

it's very very hard to get a county contract nowadays. i doubt Faulkner or Marsh can get one. You need to have played test cricket, or have a British passport, and stuff like that, to get past Home Office/The ECB
Burns and Bailey got one, can't see why if they tried/the counties wanted to Faulkner and Marsh couldn't.

Spikey

Burns and Bailey got one, can't see why if they tried/the counties wanted to Faulkner and Marsh couldn't.
Burns has a British passport. Bailey has had two stints as the Scotland overseas player in the OD Comp (07/10) so he might have one as well, or they might have a grandfather clause (the new rules came in around 2010-11). Cowan, Quiney, Starc etc all signed their county contracts weeks and months after their test debut for a reason.

morgieb

Burns has a British passport. Bailey has had two stints as the Scotland overseas player in the OD Comp (07/10) so he might have one as well, or they might a grandfather clause (the new rules came in around 2010-11). Cowan, Quiney, Starc etc all signed their county contracts weeks and months after their test debut for a reason.
Ah, had no idea Burns was a British passport holder.