• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't much rate Haddin's keeping, but it's patently a cut above Wade's which is just woeful.

Wade looks like he actually has good reflexes, but his basic technique suggests someone who took up the gauntlets relatively late. He's wrong footed when the ball deviates after passing the stumps pretty much everytime. Doesn't clang them all, but has to work a lot harder to make what should be straightforward takes.

Think his batting definitely has potential tho. It was ultimately in a losing cause, but his 60-odd at the WACA was the only reason Oz were even in the third test versus the Yarps after the first innings.

Hideous end to it tho, but.
Good footwork beats good hands as a keeper every day of the week and twice in Sundays.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be a damning indictment to the baggy green in Maxwell found one sitting backwards on his undeserving head. he is a pedestrian bowler hardly capable of holding up an end and is batting is only suited to cashing in heavily on good starts by using his hard hitting ability. I can't see him ever being able to dig Australia out of trouble with either bat or ball. Khawaja has surely done enough for a place given he has made lot of shield runs in mainly difficult conditions, unlike Hughes who has been on the Adelaide pitch half the time. Haddin is past it, and there are better alternatives. However the Aussie selectors are pigeon holing every cricketer in Australia as either last resort (Khawaja, Quiney, Burns) or having great potential (Smith, Hughes, Maxwell), I hate this.

And have people heard that Brad Hodge suddenly wants to make a comeback? Shaun Marsh is having his name tossed around as well, I can;t stand this trash.

Spikey

it seems to me that if we're gonna pick a guy who sucks against the short ball, is prone to nicking off and is a dick, we should just pick dussey

Top_Cat

tbf to social, he probably missed it as he was out having dinner with the selection panel at the time
haha, I like Social but that's fantastic. Burns in so many directions.

On Wade, I'm not a fan of his keeping either but Jack's right that he's been in the mix for tough situations for Vic. As a 'keeper, I reckon he's a stayer but, as Bench said, at 7. Don't agree at all that he should make way for Haddin at this point.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
It's not a fashion statement. Ownership shows you have reached the pinnacle of Australian cricket. I remember wearing a baggy in juniors and it was comfortable just not as functional as a Chappel hat for the sun.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's pretty fair to say that our batting is far weaker than our bowling at present (Clarke excluded) so IMO picking a batsman-keeper is the way to go (even if it isn't ideal).

Wade makes runs - be it under pressure or cashing in after a good start, I'd want Wade there to put runs on the board ahead of one-ton Paine and Haddin. Yes, it means Nathan Lyon gets screwed over behind the stumps, but odds are the quicks will sooner create 25 chances in a game that the batting unit will consistently get to 5/300.

Wade's a rubbish keeper, but he can improve - and it sounds like he is actively trying to. In time he should develop as a serviceable gloveman, who is more than handy with the bat.

Is he a long-term 6? Probably not. But if we want an all-rounder in the side we don't exactly have much choice. None of the batsmen who can bowl are legitimate top 6 options - Wade is far closer to that. Maxwell has no temperament, Smith's technique is rubbish, Henriques is just plain mediocre and Mitch Marsh is either underperforming or injured. Not much choice with Watson and Clarke both not bowling.

benchmark00

If not for Matthew Wade, Australia would have at least drew the series against SA.

Still think it's no big deal?