Page 38 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    katich too

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    perhaps macgill or warne may be better suited to test cricket than lyon as well?

Ponting to come out of retirement for the England tour. It was the plan all along. Hussey tells him in advance of his impending retirement. Ponting responds with a preemptive fake retirement to let the nation mourn his departure first. Hussey retires for good, setting up a team-in-crisis scenario. Ponting makes his triumphant return at Trent Bridge, winning back the hearts of the nation. Makes a duck, retires again.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    David Hussey might be perfect option for the next couple tours...
    Maybe if he was averaging more than 17 in the Shield this season. Needs to demonstrate that he's not totally passed it even if we do decide to overlook his gash technique.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    PEWS coming out firing.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Maybe if he was averaging more than 17 in the Shield this season. Needs to demonstrate that he's not totally passed it even if we do decide to overlook his gash technique.
    Makes you wonder how many batsmen would had have their ODIs killed if it wasn't for the bouncer rule and the lack of movement on most ODI pitches.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Makes you wonder how many batsmen would had have their ODIs killed if it wasn't for the bouncer rule and the lack of movement on most ODI pitches.
    He has scored 12,500 first class runs at 53. Can't all have been done on flat tracks with no bouncers...

As others have said, he's hardly in the sort of form that makes him a likely pick at present.

Is Andrew McDonald playing currently? If Watson gives up bowling to concentrate on batting at 2 or 4, then Wade / Haddin at 6 with McDonald at 7, and two of Johnson/Starc/Pattinson at 8 and 9 might be a possibility?

Alternatively... Steve Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Flametree View Post
    He has scored 12,500 first class runs at 53. Can't all have been done on flat tracks with no bouncers...

As others have said, he's hardly in the sort of form that makes him a likely pick at present
    He has scored lots of those runs against medium pacers in Australia and England who aren't capable of exposing his weakness.

U19 Cricketer
    Going to be very interesting to see what our top 6 is going into the Ashes. I suppose Khawaja will probably just slot straight in at 6 to replace Huss. Would certainly not be opposed to him batting 4 though with Watson assuming the Hussey role at 6.

OR

Watson quits bowling and returns to the opening position where his game is arguably most suited and Warner drops down to batting at 6.

OR

Steve Smith bats at 6, I love that guy.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    How's Rogers going atm?

If the selectors ignored his birth certificate (and personality, by repute) or Cosgrove's waistline there's two serious options right there...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    How's Rogers going atm?

If the selectors ignored his birth certificate (and personality, by repute) or Cosgrove's waistline there's two serious options right there...
    Think we should keep those names to ourselves brumbers - as far as the ACB are concerned they seem to have disappeared into the file marked "Stuart Law"

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    katich took the ****ing bullet for ponting and hussey and he might be the only still playing fc cricket by the ashes.
    mailman
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

My early predictions:

England 2-1 for the home series, Australia 2-1 for the away series. Yeah yeah it's a copout but meh.

I for one feel the gap between Australia and England's batting is smaller than most people expect. Yes England's batting is more experienced, but Trott and Bell are unproven against stronger attacks, and even Cook has lacked effectiveness in England from time to time. KP of course is good, but even he's only really good for one big century. And Compton or Root or whoever they pick are still very inexperienced. Leaves Prior, who while is gun has to bat 7.

Australia's problems are well-known of course - Hussey won't be there, Watson has injury problems and is out of form, Warner's very much hit and miss and sometimes lacks concentration, Cowan just isn't that good, Hughes is still untested, Wade while he looks good with the bat his place might come under question due to his poor keeping and Khawaja has large technical flaws that aren't really fixed yet. Clarke of course is gun.

England probably have the edge in bowling due to better match-winners, but even so....Broad has been pretty poor recently, Swanneh has lacked effectiveness against the stronger lineups (although he should still bowl a side to victory on a turner) and there's still questions over the third quick (though I think Finn/Onions should be fine). Australia's main problem is what to do with Johnson, Lyon's problems with running through a lineup when time is a premium and all their quicks breaking down.

All in all, should be a good series. England are better ATM but they're both really good sides, and it should be great cricket.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    My early predictions:

England 2-1 for the home series, Australia 2-1 for the away series. Yeah yeah it's a copout but meh.

I for one feel the gap between Australia and England's batting is smaller than most people expect. Yes England's batting is more experienced, but Trott and Bell are unproven against stronger attacks, and even Cook has lacked effectiveness in England from time to time. KP of course is good, but even he's only really good for one big century. And Compton or Root or whoever they pick are still very inexperienced. Leaves Prior, who while is gun has to bat 7.

Australia's problems are well-known of course - Hussey won't be there, Watson has injury problems and is out of form, Warner's very much hit and miss and sometimes lacks concentration, Cowan just isn't that good, Hughes is still untested, Wade while he looks good with the bat his place might come under question due to his poor keeping and Khawaja has large technical flaws that aren't really fixed yet. Clarke of course is gun.

England probably have the edge in bowling due to better match-winners, but even so....Broad has been pretty poor recently, Swanneh has lacked effectiveness against the stronger lineups (although he should still bowl a side to victory on a turner) and there's still questions over the third quick (though I think Finn/Onions should be fine). Australia's main problem is what to do with Johnson, Lyon's problems with running through a lineup when time is a premium and all their quicks breaking down.

All in all, should be a good series. England are better ATM but they're both really good sides, and it should be great cricket.
    Lyon had problems bowling out the best side in the world on the flattest deck on earth, and then on a pacemen's pitch against a team born and bred on playing spin.

He will be indispensable during the Ashes. I will bet an avatar on 25 wickets or more for the series in England.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Lyon will be dropped for Maxwell and a four man pace attack by the Ashes...

Thread Information