Page 33 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Its weird with Sanga. I don't have much faith for him in the shorter formats and I do think he is overrated. I was really surprised to see he won the ICC player of the year award* recently, but he is still a big wicket and rarely does he go a few Tests without producing a match winning knock, it was quite surprising that he did fail for the entire series against NZ.

Not exactly sure why Clarke is the most vulnerable, is it just because he is a nervous starter or something? We are ****ed if you are right!

Oh no doubt they would come in handy as they do for SA, I just mentioned his tactical decisions aren't brilliant or anything.

*Sanga did win the award, yeah?
    Well it's like Waugh/Ponting: with an attack that good, do you need that much tactical brilliance?

Don't see why Clarke is the most vulnerable ftr. Looked very settled in every single innings and it was only an absolute peach that got him cheaply.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Averages mid 40s and has a bit of experience - more of a personal choice obviously but he'a huge talent who's fallen under the radar a bit.
    Well yeah, but there's heaps of bats I'd pick before him. Marlon, Pujara for example.

Samuels would be pushing hard for 2nd XI on pure form IMO. Guy has been immense this year.
    Last edited by Spark; 12-12-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Swann and Herath ahead of Ajmal? I rate Azhar Ali but there is no way he's making my World or World A XI team.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    You'd have to go a long way down before you'd find the first, I reckon.

Amla
    Clarke
    Cook
    Kallis
    Sanga
    Chanders
    ABdV
    KP
    Younis
    Mahela
    Smith
    Hussey
    Samuels
    Pujara

Long way down, that.
    It's interesting though; how many openers do we actually think are better than Sehwag?

The opening stocks really drop away after the obvious first two.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Yeah, srsly PC. First Faf in your fantasy team and now this.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

I'd honestly just force Amla or Mussey into the opener's slot if I had to. Would like to be one down for more than 20 outside the subcontinent, thanks.
    Last edited by Spark; 12-12-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    It's interesting though; how many openers do we actually think are better than Sehwag?

The opening stocks really drop away after the obvious first two.
    Yeah Sehwag is still the third best opener in the World. Can't see any other option (from current Test openers) or reason to suggest otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Swann and Herath ahead of Ajmal? I rate Azhar Ali but there is no way he's making my World or World A XI team.
    Yeah that too. I suspect Swann would be the most consistent in all conditions but you just can't go past Ajmal atm.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Was unaware of the first rule of posting your XI, meaning that everyone else had to agree with it.
    Last edited by Pup Clarke; 12-12-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

I'd honestly just force Amla or Mussey into the opener's slot if I had to. Would like to be one down for more than 20 outside the subcontinent, thanks.
    Yeah, given Amla opens in ODIs and averages something absurd doing so and only bats one spot lower in Tests, I'd have no qualms with him opening. I don't think it's necessary anymore with Smith and Cook in existence, but if Smith or Cook were injured and I had to pick a World XI side he'd definitely be opening in it. For the sake of argument though, lets say we're picking a second eleven and Amla's in the first eleven.. who's opening? Azhar Ali is probably a fair shout here actually given he is/was a domestic opener.. Trott perhaps?
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 12-12-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, given Amla opens in ODIs and averages something absurd doing so and only bats one spot lower in Tests, I'd have no qualms with him opening. I don't think it's necessary anymore with Smith and Cook in existence, but if Smith or Cook were injured and I had to pick a World XI side he'd definitely be opening in it. For the same of argument though, lets say we're picking a second eleven and Amla's in the first eleven.. who's opening? Azhar Ali is probably a fair shout here actually given he is/was a domestic opener.. Trott perhaps?
    Trott's having enough troubles at #3 (last dig notwithstanding) without pushing him up a slot.

SS1
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Cook
    Smith
    Amla
    Kallis
    Clarke
    Pietersen
    Prior
    Swann
    Steyn
    Morkel
    Anderson

Chanderpaul - prefer the other top 4, Clarke has to be in at present and I wouldn't want Chanderpaul batting at 6 unless we were playing 2 week Test matches.

Sanga - love the bloke. Quality individual but not in great form and at present I'd pick others.

Swann v Ajmal was toughest. Plumped for Swann largely because I believe England made Ajmal appear better than he performed. When you aren't turning a ball off the straight and still ripping sides to bits, you know they are batting appallingly.

Morkel for the bounce.

Don't rate Herath. One of the biggest conundrums in modern day life is how he has taken the wickets he's got.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Dravid.
    Can't remember but Dravid wasn't having that good a run during that period was he? Shame on me if he was though

Trott's having enough troubles at #3 (last dig notwithstanding) without pushing him up a slot.
    Yeah indeed; it is hard to think of other options though. Lots of Indian fans are calling for Sehwag and/or Gambhir to be dropped and yet they'd both be considered serious options to open for a World Second XI. Can we pick Trescothick?

My XI

Smith
    Cook
    Amla
    Kallis
    Clarke
    Chanderpaul
    ABDv/Prior
    Swann
    Philander
    Steyn
    Anderson

If these blokes are playing a second world XI/National XI, I'd usually expect the batting to do well and want ABDv to come in and play a downhill skier 161(173) innings twice every series. If they're playing a Mars XI/roughly equal-stronger XI, Then I'd play Prior for his knack for 75* from 82-5.

I really didn't have to think too much before picking Chanders ahead of Sanga. KP would be nowhere in contention. Clarke would be third picked after Amla and Steyn.

Swann v. Ajmal was a close one but Swann's come out of his slight slump and has been bowling really well now. Plus he bats.

Holy ****, just noticed there is no sub-continental player in the XI. Even if I went Ajmal in the 50/50 It'd still be only one. A far cry from not so long ago when Sehwag, Tendulkar, Sanga and Zaheer would pick themselves and Laxman would be 50/50.
    Last edited by Teja.; 12-12-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Thread Information