• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
From Wodonga, Victoria. The heartland of the country.

Not Redfern, no matter what Faaip says.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My early predictions:

England 2-1 for the home series, Australia 2-1 for the away series. Yeah yeah it's a copout but meh.

I for one feel the gap between Australia and England's batting is smaller than most people expect. Yes England's batting is more experienced, but Trott and Bell are unproven against stronger attacks, and even Cook has lacked effectiveness in England from time to time. KP of course is good, but even he's only really good for one big century. And Compton or Root or whoever they pick are still very inexperienced. Leaves Prior, who while is gun has to bat 7.

Australia's problems are well-known of course - Hussey won't be there, Watson has injury problems and is out of form, Warner's very much hit and miss and sometimes lacks concentration, Cowan just isn't that good, Hughes is still untested, Wade while he looks good with the bat his place might come under question due to his poor keeping and Khawaja has large technical flaws that aren't really fixed yet. Clarke of course is gun.

England probably have the edge in bowling due to better match-winners, but even so....Broad has been pretty poor recently, Swanneh has lacked effectiveness against the stronger lineups (although he should still bowl a side to victory on a turner) and there's still questions over the third quick (though I think Finn/Onions should be fine). Australia's main problem is what to do with Johnson, Lyon's problems with running through a lineup when time is a premium and all their quicks breaking down.

All in all, should be a good series. England are better ATM but they're both really good sides, and it should be great cricket.
If, and this is the million dollar question, we dont continue to be decimated by injuries, then Oz definitely has better pace bowling

Anderson is an outstanding bowler but then what?

Bresnan and Tremlett seem to be done

Broad has just been dropped after a string of ****ty performances

Finn is useful but not as good as any of our young guys

That leaves Onions, who, with all due respect, has never been that great anyway

Given that the backups seem to be guys like Meaker, it appears that England's fast bowling stocks have gone from a feast to possibly a bit short-handed whilst we are potentially headed the other way

Anyway, long way to go before the start of the series and judging by the recent durability of our guys, half of them could be declared dead before it starts

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The writing off of Broad and Bresnan is a mistake surely. Broad especially.

Obviously a fit Tremlett is about as likely as a fit Harris.

Teja.

Global Moderator
To be very honest, I reckon an on-field Pattinson in the most dangerous bowler on either side but the chances of him lasting a considerable part of five tests don't seem high.

Writing off Broad, esp. if he completely recovers from injury and regains his pace, is definitely pretty foolish though.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
To be very honest, I reckon an on-field Pattinson in the most dangerous bowler on either side but the chances of him lasting a considerable part of five tests don't seem high.

Writing off Broad, esp. if he completely recovers from injury and regains his pace, is definitely pretty foolish though.

I agree with the top part, Pattinson has the potential to rip through a side in England.

He's a similar bowler to Anderson in alot of ways, except that he's a fair bit quicker.

Australia's series is definately in the hands of Pattinson, Starc, Siddle, Johnson, Bird and Cummins...........

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't it be funny if Clarke got injured.
Will retire, with immediate effect, during tea on the second day of the 5th test after making a hundred, with the series locked at 2-2, and cricinfo will report it as a 'perfectly timed retirement'

social

Against that, I don't think their bowling line-up will have to bowl as well as ours to dismiss the opposition.
Totally agree with that but I find it laughable that so many Poms are judging the attacks on 2010 vs 2010

Mind you, many have have dismissed Warner as a slogger as well

social

The writing off of Broad and Bresnan is a mistake surely. Broad especially.

Obviously a fit Tremlett is about as likely as a fit Harris.
Bresnan needs to find a miracle cure to rediscover the 10 ks he's lost - stick a fork in him, he's done

If Tremlett was a racehorse, he'd have been shot

Broad will be picked but it's anyone's guess as to whether he suddenly works out how to pitch the ball up again

Harris has no chance as he's currently sitting behind Bird, Cummins, Johnson, Pattinson, Siddle, and Starc (alphabetical order not preference) so should never be risked

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cummins and pattinson would probably have been put down by now if they were racehorses
Johnson is ****e
Siddle is good, would have an outside chance of getting in our side
See what I did