Page 28 of 180 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
Results 406 to 420 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

  1. #406
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    In all seriousness we're a good bunch here. Just read your post again. Objectively. You will see it reads that you think KP is better than Clarke (since you said you'd choose KP over Clarke) because he is a match winner. The inference is clear. That is what people are getting at.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  2. #407
    SS1
    SS1 is offline
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    53
    My post has clearly been interpreted in that manner it seems, fair enough.

    FWIW I would take KP over Clarke. My opinion. If you don't agree with that, thats fine. I can completely understand that. Don't start taking the proverbial over it because it goes against your own opinion.

    In terms of matchwinning, yes I do think KP is more of a matchwinner than Clarke. However, that isn't to say that Clarke isn't a matchwinner. There is a big difference and many other factors impact on it. Have a look at Clarke's recent two doubles over SA. Australia didn't win either. My thoughts are that if KP gets that double, he gets it quicker and gives the bowlers more time to bowl a side out. Aus needed two wickets to beat South Africa at Adelaide. Is it entirely implausible to suggest that with an extra hour they wouldn't have got them ? It isn't.

  3. #408
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,598
    KP is not getting that double quicker than Clarke did on that day. He scored 200 in two sessions.

    KP bats bloody fast, but that was just ridiculous.

    EDIT: It's also a completely superfluous point as Australia declared. If Clarke wanted another half an hour he could have gotten it.
    Last edited by Spark; 12-12-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  4. #409
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    You'd have a point if I'd ever said that Pietersen is more of a match winner than Clarke.
    Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    Educational system gone downhill in Australia since we stopped ruling it has it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    In terms of matchwinning, yes I do think KP is more of a matchwinner than Clarke. .


    I HAVE A POINT!!!!!!!!! z
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.


  5. #410
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,170
    I don't think its a crazy opinion. I disagree with it but its not ridiculous.

    KP's knock in Mumbai was epic, one of the best I've ever seen.

    But Clarke's played match winners too. Just happens some of his great knocks are in draws/losses. Tendulkar has the same - very rarely is it down to the batsman imo.

  6. #411
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,170
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Trying to act cool. You love the joint!

  7. #412
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    KP is not getting that double quicker than Clarke did on that day. He scored 200 in two sessions.

    KP bats bloody fast, but that was just ridiculous.
    Haha yes so true. Clarke's double in Adelaide was ridiculously quick.

  8. #413
    SS1
    SS1 is offline
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    KP is not getting that double quicker than Clarke did on that day. He scored 200 in two sessions.

    KP bats bloody fast, but that was just ridiculous.
    Since KP has a strike rate that is significantly higher than Clarkes, stats suggest that he would have. I'm not saying thats a definitive before anybody goes mental but any cricketing stats show that when KP scores 100+, England tend to win, regardless of where they play.

  9. #414
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,598
    Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    Since KP has a strike rate that is significantly higher than Clarkes, stats suggest that he would have. I'm not saying thats a definitive before anybody goes mental but any cricketing stats show that when KP scores 100+, England tend to win, regardless of where they play.
    Look, that's just a silly way of looking at things. Are you seriously suggesting that KP would have scored quicker than 200 in 2 sessions because his career strike rate is higher?

    That's like saying Tendulkar should have a higher top score than Lara because his average was higher. Er, no.

    And again, it's irrelevant because Aus declared second innings.
    Last edited by Spark; 12-12-2012 at 07:11 AM.

  10. #415
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Look, that's just a silly way of looking at things. Are you seriously suggesting that KP would have scored quicker than 200 in 2 sessions because his career strike rate is higher?

    That's like saying Tendulkar should have a higher top score than Lara because his average was higher. Er, no.

    And again, it's irrelevant because Aus declared second innings.
    It was Roadelaide tbf; Pietersen knocking up a 60 ball double would not have been surprising.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  11. #416
    SS1
    SS1 is offline
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Look, that's just a silly way of looking at things. Are you seriously suggesting that KP would have scored quicker than 200 in 2 sessions because his career strike rate is higher?

    That's like saying Tendulkar should have a higher top score than Lara because his average was higher. Er, no.
    No I'm not, thats why I posted 'thats not a definitive'. It is all hypothetical.

  12. #417
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,598
    It is also completely irrelevant. Averages don't work like that.

    If you can find an instance where KP has scored a huge score quicker than that, you might have a point, but otherwise it's just flat out fallacious.

  13. #418
    SS1
    SS1 is offline
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    It is also completely irrelevant. Averages don't work like that.

    If you can find an instance where KP has scored a huge score quicker than that, you might have a point, but otherwise it's just flat out fallacious.
    Clarke scored 230 in 345 minutes on a flat track at Adelaide, averaging a run every 1.5 minutes.

    Pietersen scored 151 in 212 minutes on a turner at Colombo, averaging a run every 1.4 minutes. Harder pitch to bat on yet scored faster.

    Even in Mumbai, where it was an absolute bunsen, he was marginally slower. He scored 186 in 316 minutes, averaging a run every 1.69 minutes.

    All I am demonstrating is that it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

  14. #419
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,598
    The way people talk about the Colombo ton fascinates me frankly, it's as if they've all forgotten that it was at Colombo.

    In addition, doing it in terms of minutes is just bizarre, for the obvious reason that over rates vary depending on where you're playing.

    This is a really strange way to make a really strange point. Clarke can score crazy fast nowadays. Like KP. The reason for the difference in strike rates is that Clarke didn't play like that before, but that's not relevant now. Accept that and move on.

    I mean, we haven't even mentioned Cape Town yet. Oh wait... I just did.
    Last edited by Spark; 12-12-2012 at 07:34 AM.

  15. #420
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,782
    If SS1 is such an England fan then why no posts about the current tour to India?

    You convicts are feeding the troll with each bite.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV
    By four_or_six in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 10:11 AM
  2. Ashes Coming Home
    By SurreyFan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 05:41 AM
  3. Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends
    By The Sean in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  4. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •