Page 28 of 180 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    In all seriousness we're a good bunch here. Just read your post again. Objectively. You will see it reads that you think KP is better than Clarke (since you said you'd choose KP over Clarke) because he is a match winner. The inference is clear. That is what people are getting at.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

SS1
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    My post has clearly been interpreted in that manner it seems, fair enough.

FWIW I would take KP over Clarke. My opinion. If you don't agree with that, thats fine. I can completely understand that. Don't start taking the proverbial over it because it goes against your own opinion.

In terms of matchwinning, yes I do think KP is more of a matchwinner than Clarke. However, that isn't to say that Clarke isn't a matchwinner. There is a big difference and many other factors impact on it. Have a look at Clarke's recent two doubles over SA. Australia didn't win either. My thoughts are that if KP gets that double, he gets it quicker and gives the bowlers more time to bowl a side out. Aus needed two wickets to beat South Africa at Adelaide. Is it entirely implausible to suggest that with an extra hour they wouldn't have got them ? It isn't.

KP is not getting that double quicker than Clarke did on that day. He scored 200 in two sessions.

KP bats bloody fast, but that was just ridiculous.

EDIT: It's also a completely superfluous point as Australia declared. If Clarke wanted another half an hour he could have gotten it.
    Last edited by Spark; 12-12-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    You'd have a point if I'd ever said that Pietersen is more of a match winner than Clarke.
    Educational system gone downhill in Australia since we stopped ruling it has it ?
    In terms of matchwinning, yes I do think KP is more of a matchwinner than Clarke. .

I HAVE A POINT!!!!!!!!! z
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

I don't think its a crazy opinion. I disagree with it but its not ridiculous.

KP's knock in Mumbai was epic, one of the best I've ever seen.

But Clarke's played match winners too. Just happens some of his great knocks are in draws/losses. Tendulkar has the same - very rarely is it down to the batsman imo.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Trying to act cool. You love the joint!

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    KP is not getting that double quicker than Clarke did on that day. He scored 200 in two sessions.

Haha yes so true. Clarke's double in Adelaide was ridiculously quick.

SS1

Since KP has a strike rate that is significantly higher than Clarkes, stats suggest that he would have. I'm not saying thats a definitive before anybody goes mental but any cricketing stats show that when KP scores 100+, England tend to win, regardless of where they play.

Since KP has a strike rate that is significantly higher than Clarkes, stats suggest that he would have. I'm not saying thats a definitive before anybody goes mental but any cricketing stats show that when KP scores 100+, England tend to win, regardless of where they play.
    Look, that's just a silly way of looking at things. Are you seriously suggesting that KP would have scored quicker than 200 in 2 sessions because his career strike rate is higher?

That's like saying Tendulkar should have a higher top score than Lara because his average was higher. Er, no.

And again, it's irrelevant because Aus declared second innings.
    Last edited by Spark; 12-12-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Look, that's just a silly way of looking at things. Are you seriously suggesting that KP would have scored quicker than 200 in 2 sessions because his career strike rate is higher?

That's like saying Tendulkar should have a higher top score than Lara because his average was higher. Er, no.

And again, it's irrelevant because Aus declared second innings.
    It was Roadelaide tbf; Pietersen knocking up a 60 ball double would not have been surprising.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

SS1

No I'm not, thats why I posted 'thats not a definitive'. It is all hypothetical.

It is also completely irrelevant. Averages don't work like that.

If you can find an instance where KP has scored a huge score quicker than that, you might have a point, but otherwise it's just flat out fallacious.

SS1
    It is also completely irrelevant. Averages don't work like that.

If you can find an instance where KP has scored a huge score quicker than that, you might have a point, but otherwise it's just flat out fallacious.
    Clarke scored 230 in 345 minutes on a flat track at Adelaide, averaging a run every 1.5 minutes.

Pietersen scored 151 in 212 minutes on a turner at Colombo, averaging a run every 1.4 minutes. Harder pitch to bat on yet scored faster.

Even in Mumbai, where it was an absolute bunsen, he was marginally slower. He scored 186 in 316 minutes, averaging a run every 1.69 minutes.

All I am demonstrating is that it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

The way people talk about the Colombo ton fascinates me frankly, it's as if they've all forgotten that it was at Colombo.

In addition, doing it in terms of minutes is just bizarre, for the obvious reason that over rates vary depending on where you're playing.

This is a really strange way to make a really strange point. Clarke can score crazy fast nowadays. Like KP. The reason for the difference in strike rates is that Clarke didn't play like that before, but that's not relevant now. Accept that and move on.

I mean, we haven't even mentioned Cape Town yet. Oh wait... I just did.
    Last edited by Spark; 12-12-2012 at 07:34 AM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    If SS1 is such an England fan then why no posts about the current tour to India?

You convicts are feeding the troll with each bite.

Thread Information