• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Spark

Global Moderator
Its weird with Sanga. I don't have much faith for him in the shorter formats and I do think he is overrated. I was really surprised to see he won the ICC player of the year award* recently, but he is still a big wicket and rarely does he go a few Tests without producing a match winning knock, it was quite surprising that he did fail for the entire series against NZ.

Not exactly sure why Clarke is the most vulnerable, is it just because he is a nervous starter or something? We are ****ed if you are right!

Oh no doubt they would come in handy as they do for SA, I just mentioned his tactical decisions aren't brilliant or anything.

*Sanga did win the award, yeah?
Well it's like Waugh/Ponting: with an attack that good, do you need that much tactical brilliance?

Don't see why Clarke is the most vulnerable ftr. Looked very settled in every single innings and it was only an absolute peach that got him cheaply.

Spark

Global Moderator
Averages mid 40s and has a bit of experience - more of a personal choice obviously but he'a huge talent who's fallen under the radar a bit.
Well yeah, but there's heaps of bats I'd pick before him. Marlon, Pujara for example.

Samuels would be pushing hard for 2nd XI on pure form IMO. Guy has been immense this year.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Swann and Herath ahead of Ajmal? I rate Azhar Ali but there is no way he's making my World or World A XI team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You'd have to go a long way down before you'd find the first, I reckon.

Amla
Clarke
Cook
Kallis
Sanga
Chanders
ABdV
KP
Younis
Mahela
Smith
Hussey
Samuels
Pujara

Long way down, that.
It's interesting though; how many openers do we actually think are better than Sehwag?

The opening stocks really drop away after the obvious first two.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd honestly just force Amla or Mussey into the opener's slot if I had to. Would like to be one down for more than 20 outside the subcontinent, thanks.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's interesting though; how many openers do we actually think are better than Sehwag?

The opening stocks really drop away after the obvious first two.
Yeah Sehwag is still the third best opener in the World. Can't see any other option (from current Test openers) or reason to suggest otherwise.

Spark

Global Moderator
Swann and Herath ahead of Ajmal? I rate Azhar Ali but there is no way he's making my World or World A XI team.
Yeah that too. I suspect Swann would be the most consistent in all conditions but you just can't go past Ajmal atm.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Was unaware of the first rule of posting your XI, meaning that everyone else had to agree with it.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd honestly just force Amla or Mussey into the opener's slot if I had to. Would like to be one down for more than 20 outside the subcontinent, thanks.
Yeah, given Amla opens in ODIs and averages something absurd doing so and only bats one spot lower in Tests, I'd have no qualms with him opening. I don't think it's necessary anymore with Smith and Cook in existence, but if Smith or Cook were injured and I had to pick a World XI side he'd definitely be opening in it. For the sake of argument though, lets say we're picking a second eleven and Amla's in the first eleven.. who's opening? Azhar Ali is probably a fair shout here actually given he is/was a domestic opener.. Trott perhaps?

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, given Amla opens in ODIs and averages something absurd doing so and only bats one spot lower in Tests, I'd have no qualms with him opening. I don't think it's necessary anymore with Smith and Cook in existence, but if Smith or Cook were injured and I had to pick a World XI side he'd definitely be opening in it. For the same of argument though, lets say we're picking a second eleven and Amla's in the first eleven.. who's opening? Azhar Ali is probably a fair shout here actually given he is/was a domestic opener.. Trott perhaps?
Trott's having enough troubles at #3 (last dig notwithstanding) without pushing him up a slot.

SS1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Cook
Smith
Amla
Kallis
Clarke
Pietersen
Prior
Swann
Steyn
Morkel
Anderson

Chanderpaul - prefer the other top 4, Clarke has to be in at present and I wouldn't want Chanderpaul batting at 6 unless we were playing 2 week Test matches.

Sanga - love the bloke. Quality individual but not in great form and at present I'd pick others.

Swann v Ajmal was toughest. Plumped for Swann largely because I believe England made Ajmal appear better than he performed. When you aren't turning a ball off the straight and still ripping sides to bits, you know they are batting appallingly.

Morkel for the bounce.

Don't rate Herath. One of the biggest conundrums in modern day life is how he has taken the wickets he's got.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Trott's having enough troubles at #3 (last dig notwithstanding) without pushing him up a slot.
Yeah indeed; it is hard to think of other options though. Lots of Indian fans are calling for Sehwag and/or Gambhir to be dropped and yet they'd both be considered serious options to open for a World Second XI. Can we pick Trescothick? :p

Teja.

Global Moderator
My XI

Smith
Cook
Amla
Kallis
Clarke
Chanderpaul
ABDv/Prior
Swann
Philander
Steyn
Anderson

If these blokes are playing a second world XI/National XI, I'd usually expect the batting to do well and want ABDv to come in and play a downhill skier 161(173) innings twice every series. If they're playing a Mars XI/roughly equal-stronger XI, Then I'd play Prior for his knack for 75* from 82-5.

I really didn't have to think too much before picking Chanders ahead of Sanga. KP would be nowhere in contention. Clarke would be third picked after Amla and Steyn.

Swann v. Ajmal was a close one but Swann's come out of his slight slump and has been bowling really well now. Plus he bats.

Holy ****, just noticed there is no sub-continental player in the XI. Even if I went Ajmal in the 50/50 It'd still be only one. A far cry from not so long ago when Sehwag, Tendulkar, Sanga and Zaheer would pick themselves and Laxman would be 50/50.

Last edited:

Tromperie

Cricket Spectator
My XI

Smith
Cook
Amla
Kallis
Clarke
Chanderpaul
ABDv/Prior
Swann
Philander
Steyn
Anderson
Batting lineup's slightly too defensive; having Smith, Cook, Kallis and Chanderpaul in the same lineup doesn't give a great deal of consideration toward giving your side long time to bowl a talented opposition out with enough time to build a second innings lead. Pietersen would be much better, in my view, in the hypothetical 360-4 situation.

SS1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Batting lineup's slightly too defensive; having Smith, Cook, Kallis and Chanderpaul in the same lineup doesn't give a great deal of consideration toward giving your side long time to bowl a talented opposition out with enough time to build a second innings lead. Pietersen would be much better, in my view, in the hypothetical 360-4 situation.
Oh my !

I've found another person on this forum that speaks an element of sense.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Pietersen would be a better situational pick if - as of right now - He is in the same tier of batsmanship as Chanders. I don't think that is the case and therefore I think It'd be markedly unwise to pick an inferior batsman in the hope that when he goes off, Hell be great.

The only one I'd consider replacing Chanderpaul with is Sangakkara.

cnerd123

likes this
Ooh, we're naming World XIs now?

Cook
Smith (*)
Amla
Clarke
Kallis
M.Hussey
ABDV/Prior (+)
Steyn
Anderson
Ajmal
Morkel

Kallis pushed down to 5, because I really, really like Amla at 3. He's shown us recently that he has the ability to take the game away from the opposition early on, and that's a huge asset to have and something you could argue that Kallis doesn't posses. Plus with Cook and Smith both likely to start off pretty slow, following up with Amla and Clarke to build on a solid foundation is dangerous.

Hussey at 6 as he is probably the best in the world at that position ATM.

Very tempted to keep ABDV in as keeper, and drop him to 7, but he hasn't proven that he can score runs after keeping for a long amount of time. Easy choice would be Prior for this position.

Morkel as third seamer as he offeres something different (hit the deck, seam movement, bounce) to the swing and pace of Anderson and Steyn. Ajmal my first choice spinner, I rate him highly.

Smith as skipper atm, but given the amount of talent in the side I was tempted to give it to Clarke, who has shown to be more aggressive and creative while captaining.

Swann as second spinner if needed. Philander the backup quick (although probably won't be needed with Kallis in the team). Chanderpaul the reserve batsman.

I like Sanga, but I want to see how he goes in the coming Test series. He had a lean run against New Zealand. He dominated against Pakistan but that was a few months ago, and as we've seen with India, a few months is all it takes for batsmen, even great ones, to lose their touch.