Page 21 of 180 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Please, play Panesar in English conditions against this middle order. Please.

Warner's series in WI is about as irrelevant as it gets.

Starting to really question whether you've watched any of the cricket you've talked about or are going off scoreboards.
    Monty will play Old Trafford as it is a spinning track, other than that we will play 3 pacemen and Swann. You know, the same attack that has won the last 2 series when you had a better batting side than now.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I expect Australia to win both series.

With the exception of Cook, England are a very average cricket side.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

SS1
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Starting to really question whether you've watched any of the cricket you've talked about or are going off scoreboards.
    Monty won't play.

Warner is a slogger and nothing else.

England will play the same main trio of bowlers that have won every Ashes series they've played in together, Anderson, Broad, Swann. Those 3 have 663 Test match wickets between them. Yet we're supposed to believe a combination of Patterson, Hilfenhaus(), Siddle(), Cummins, Starc, Lyon () are the better battery of bowlers ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?

O rly?

England definitely have the better bowling attack IMO, especially for English conditions, but if you actually think that Siddle and Hilfenhaus are **** bowlers then it straight up suggests you only ever watch Australia play when they're playing England and haven't watched either of them bowl a ball since the last Ashes. By extension that also makes your opinion of Lyon and Warner are absolutely worthless as all their Tests have been in that period. No surprise that you've shown great ignorance to Warner's game and stereotyped him as a slogger because he made his T20 debut first. I don't actually think Warner will go very well in England either but in Test cricket he's far from being a slogger, and comparisons with Sehwag's flaws and Gayle's flaws just show you up.

I actually usually hate it when people on here tell others why they think how they do or make assumptions on the amount of cricket they watch purely based on the fact that they disagree with them, but if the extent of your arguments is going to be quoting the scores from the last Ashes and using the emoticon next to the names of Australian bowlers then you can cop it, frankly.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

SS1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    England definitely have the better bowling attack IMO, especially for English conditions, but if you actually think that Siddle and Hilfenhaus are **** bowlers then it straight up suggests you only ever watch Australia play when they're playing England and haven't watched either of them bowl a ball since the last Ashes. By extension that also makes your opinion of Lyon and Warner are absolutely worthless as all their Tests have been in that period. No surprise that you've shown great ignorance to Warner's game and stereotyped him as a slogger because he made his T20 debut first. I don't actually think Warner will go very well in England either but in Test cricket he's far from being a slogger, and comparisons with Sehwag's flaws and Gayle's flaws just show you up.

I actually usually hate it when people on here tell others why they think how they do or make assumptions on the amount of cricket they watch purely based on the fact that they disagree with them, but if the extent of your arguments is going to be quoting the scores from the last Ashes and using the emoticon next to the names of Australian bowlers then you can cop it, frankly.
    I was responding to some bloke trying to seriously tell me that Pattinson/Starc/Siddle are a better bowling attack than a group that has had success pretty much everywhere its been. The only side that has shown a consistent ability to keep the England attack at bay have been South Africa. If England had any idea how to bat properly in the Sub Continent, they'd probably have lost 1 Test series in 3/4 years and won in both Australia and India if they perform at Nagpur. A significant part of that is that their bowling line up is so strong.

Siddle and Hilfenhaus are not very good. I'm sorry but thats the reality here. Beating India in Australia and the West Indies doesn't amount to much. These two were pathetic in the last Ashes series and incapable of finishing South Africa off on a couple of occasions in the last series. Same with Lyon, who is not a threatening bowler by any stretch.

I didn't make any comparison with Gayle and Sehwag in terms of flaws. I pointed out that he is in a similar mould, which he is. He has a higher strike rate than Gayle actually, significantly higher. The Aussies can go as wild as they like about the bloke because he got big runs against the brilliant attacks of NZ and India and then took advantage of an SA attack that was riddled with injuries. He just isn't much cop and the English will be delighted to see him open. Can you seriously imagine a top 3 of Cowan, Warner and Hughes in England ? Terrifying if you're Australian. Clarke and Hussey will be coming in at 40/3 and 50/4 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

Could say exactly the same about Australia and Clarke.

Going back to the discussions about the bowlers, it depends which Siddle and Hilfenhaus turn up, if it is the 2010 version then Australia have no chance, the 2011 version then England are in trouble, the 2012 version and it will be an interesting contest. Can say virtually the same about Broad and Bresnan for England though, the best paceman on both sides is Anderson and he will be vital to both sides chances in both series. If he fires then I think England will win both series if he doesn't we have a tight one on our hands.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Eh, Siddle is a good bowler, but Hilf after his Indian series has fallen away a bit against South Africa. Granted I've only caught the Australian home summer so I'm sure I've missed a couple of winter tours. With Australia's depth though he's not a lock yet imo.

Pattinson, Lyon and Siddle if fit, should be the first three bowlers on the sheet. Lyon is pretty underrated imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I reckon Hilfy could gun it in England fwiw.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Pattinson is the only one that really worries me, ( I am rather assuming Cummins will not make it) he is going to be one hell of a good bowler if he stays fit.

Siddle is perfectly fine but I don't think he will ever be much more than that really.

Expect them to bowl England out cheaply on a couple of occasions but still think we will take the series.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah I'm much more worried about the away series. Them being so close together will make it really interesting though, if any player really gets on top of another they have little time to work on turning it around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah I'm much more worried about the away series. Them being so close together will make it really interesting though, if any player really gets on top of another they have little time to work on turning it around.
    That is why I fancy us to win both, think we will here 3-1 and the Aussies won't have time to turn it round with the return happening a few months later. If the series order was the other way round i'd be worried as I think the side that gets on a roll could run away with it and I don't think Australia are good enough to get on a roll in England though they may have done at home.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

Well I am sorry to say...you actually could be right

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    Monty won't play.

Warner is a slogger and nothing else.

England will play the same main trio of bowlers that have won every Ashes series they've played in together, Anderson, Broad, Swann. Those 3 have 663 Test match wickets between them. Yet we're supposed to believe a combination of Patterson, Hilfenhaus(), Siddle(), Cummins, Starc, Lyon () are the better battery of bowlers ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
    What are you on about
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    When was the last time England won back to back series in Australia? Must have been a little while. Fancy they may sneak a draw.

What is the situation for tickets up north? (By that I mean outside of London) Missed out in the ballot for the Oval so relying on Lords now.

Thread Information