Cricket Player Manager
Page 18 of 180 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

I was against him being picked to open this series because I thought his runs in county cricket were largely due to an increasing familiarity with how to bat on the county circuit rather than real technical excellence, and an opening spot in Test in India is a world away from what he'd be used to.

To be fair, he did get 1000 runs before the end of May this season, which often indicates an expert player of seam movement. The fact that Compton plays at Taunton somewhat negates that, but since the Taunton track is much closer to what we're likely to see at Lord's day one than the average county deck that's neither here nor there.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    So do people think Compton will play?
    He'll play in New Zealand and if he does well there then he'll get the home series against them. As it would then be the ashes double header next up I can't see him not playing unless he has a poor tour in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I was against him being picked to open this series because I thought his runs in county cricket were largely due to an increasing familiarity with how to bat on the county circuit rather than real technical excellence, and an opening spot in Test in India is a world away from what he'd be used to.

To be fair, he did get 1000 runs before the end of May this season, which often indicates an expert player of seam movement. The fact that Compton plays at Taunton somewhat negates that, but since the Taunton track is much closer to what we're likely to see at Lord's day one than the average county deck that's neither here nor there.
    My inner pedant has to point out he came up just short. Think it was June 1st when he made his grand.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in NZ, actually. Our cider-quaffing confreres will obviously have more idea than me, but I've never really seen how he goes against a moving ball. Taunton a renowned road and India hardly a seamers' paradise either.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    Stupid question given Compton is an opener; how does he go against good pace bowling? Technical issues that Pattinson and Siddle are likely to expose?

Most of my viewing has been Compton facing up to Ashwin and Ojha.
    The worry is that he doesn't open for his county. The selectors picked him to replace Strauss here because of volume of runs and opening in the SC isn't the same as opening elsewhere.

I haven't seen Compton bat much in England, but according to Tres, he's better against pace than spin. A good series in NZ will bookmark him for the Ashes IMO.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    when is the Ashes supposed to take place btw?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    oh so when are the 2013 Ashes supposed to take place then?
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

!!
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Start on July 10th, England will have retained the urn by August 5th.

Aussie series starts on 21st November.

we want bell
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

we want bell!!!!!

we want bell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

We want Hughes, Quiney and Johnson.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    On the Compton issue, I think he's shown enough in the Indian series to suggest he's worth persevering with against New Zealand on pitches he may be more familiar with. In his most recent innings my initial concern was that while he was looking solid I wondered whether he had sufficient scoring options in order to get the board ticking. It wasn't necessarily vital as Cook was playing as fluently as he ever has, so I guess Compton was content to consolidate the partnership and wait patiently for his scoring opportunities. So in that respect his temperament looks good, as his innings progressed he did start to work the ball better and both he and Cook began to get that understanding in their running and picked mainly on the fielder at mid off and mid on.

He will need a decent performance in Nagpur to strengthen his case, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't given a chance in New Zealand. He looks organised and is a serious athlete, he just needs that big innings in the next few Tests and I think he'll be in. Don't see the fact he bats at three for Somerset as an issue, the step up to open should not be a big change for him.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Thread Information