• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Spark

Global Moderator
Lord's is a serious road. Oval is dry, but also pretty good to bat on.

TBH most of the English decks are pretty placid. It's the weather that makes things dicey for batsmen.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Lord's - flat deck, all about cloud cover to get movement
Oval - same for the first 3 days, will take spin later if it doesn't rain
Headingley - green seamy deathtrap (less true in recent times)
Old Trafford - takes plenty of spin late in the match
Trent Bridge - seam and swing, even more so since redevelopment
Edgbaston - jack of all trades, getting flatter, loud crowd
Cardiff - slow and terrible

Spark

Global Moderator
Trent Bridge has always looked fairly pleasant for batting whenever it's been a sunny day and I've been watching.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since they have rebuilt the ground the ball seems to move a lot more even on sunny days. Taken over as the hardest of our test grounds to bat on for me as Headingley is increasingly becoming flatter flatter as the years go by.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke would be above Pietersen and would have to put Bell = Watson as both have uncertain form right now?
I'd go with that with a * disclaimer for KP as if he joins in no player on either side is anywhere near his level. One of the most gifted but frustrating talents ever in my view.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get to see much of the away series but the bowling worries me tbh. I can't see Siddle and Hilf bowling England out. If Pattinson is fit who else will step up. Cummins may not be fit and Harris seems to be done. Starc is promising but it looks like Johnson has edged back into the reckoning. The English would love to face him again.
I suspect we'll be taking a large group of quicks across. Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Pattinson, Hazlewood, Cummins*, Starc, Harris* and Butterworth/Bird/Copeland would be my choice.

If Cummins and Harris are unfit (and let's face it, they usually are), add in NCN and/or Alister McDermott as squad bowlers. Luke Feldman a possible bolter as well, IMO. That's 13 quicks that I reckon could at least handle themselves at that level. Success being a whole other ballgame though, obviously.

Hastings has done his dash, as has MJ.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarke would be above Pietersen and would have to put Bell = Watson as both have uncertain form right now?
I know Pietersen hasn't quite done it yet but I hope by the end of the back to back Ashes..Pietersen does more than enough to prove that Clarke at his best is still behind Pietersen at his worst!!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He strikes me like a 2008/2009 Broad; I've got no doubt that he could bowl a match winning spell, but he probably won't be a consistent threat.

He does have the knack of taking wickets even when he's bowling tripe.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
He does have the knack of taking wickets even when he's bowling tripe.
You can't help but wonder why the Broads and Bothams have this gift but the Johnsons and Zaheers don't.

Were I an Indian selector my first condition for any seamer would be to be a ****ing arsey ****.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You can't help but wonder why the Broads and Bothams have this gift but the Johnsons and Zaheers don't.

Were I an Indian selector my first condition for any seamer would be to be a ****ing arsey ****.
Johnson's first 3 years in Test cricket were all based on the knack of taking ****loads of wickets despite bowling a load of dross.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ed Cowan looks likely to sign with Notts.

Didn't work out all that well last time we had an opener sign up for a county stint in the lead up to the Ashes.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I really don't think Broads got that knack at all, hence is occasional horror-figures.

Finn, does indeed though.

SS1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I really don't think Broads got that knack at all, hence is occasional horror-figures.

Finn, does indeed though.
Broad is in a bit of a trough, no doubt. However, hes still in the top 3 wicket takers this calender year. I'm sure the other two are Anderson and Steyn as well. This idea that Broad is garbage is a nonsense.

I'm also enjoying reading folk dismiss Pietersen. Quite simply, when he's on it, he is the best batsman in world cricket. By a long, long way, he's the best batsman on either side between Australia and England. His average is still 49/50 despite his apparent problems.