• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
28 or something. no five wicket hauls. nothing greater than 5 for the match iirc. decent is about right.

Spikey

really, everyone (bar MJ and Hussey) was 'decent' in 09. how the **** did we lose that

Top_Cat

Ashes '09 was one of the better examples of how it's almost as important when you score runs or takes wickets as it is how many you get/take.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This is going to be one amazing series with no clear favourite..

Australian bowling attack is average without Pattinson..so whether he manages to remain fit all through is the key..
Would love it if Cummins is fit and back.

Pattinson
Cummins
Starc

Mouth watering prospect but I know the conservating and risk averse selections and team management of Australia will pick Hilf and Siddle over Cummins and Starc.

As for England...

Broad and Bresnan have kind of fallen away...Broad for me only peaked in that one 2011 series against India..I know he is rated very very highly by everyone..would be interesting to see if he bounces back on home conditions..

Andersen and Finn are safe bets..

Doubt England will play two spinners.. So the third seamer's spot will be the key..

As for batting, I am not sure if Bell will come back in India in the 4th test..assuming he doesnt..will England persist with him in the Ashes given his record against Australia or make the bold move of dropping him?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Any other bloke would have said McGrath and been done with it. You are such an old prick.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ashes '09 was one of the better examples of how it's almost as important when you score runs or takes wickets as it is how many you get/take.
Was the largest statistical heist in Test history, I believe. England batsmen averaged something like 6.5 less rpw than the Aussies, which is the largest deficit ever for a winning side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When was the last time England won back to back series in Australia? Must have been a little while. Fancy they may sneak a draw.

What is the situation for tickets up north? (By that I mean outside of London) Missed out in the ballot for the Oval so relying on Lords now.
All sold out but that was also the case this time four years ago and I still got to two

flibbertyjibber

As for batting, I am not sure if Bell will come back in India in the 4th test..assuming he doesnt..will England persist with him in the Ashes given his record against Australia or make the bold move of dropping him?
Ding dong will play. Probably be our leading run scorer as well.

aussie tragic

International Captain
A quick comparison of where I think the teams are today:

Cowan / Compton (=)
Warner / Cook (Eng)
Hughes / Trott (Eng)*
Watson / Pietersen (Eng)
Clarke / Bell (Aus)
Hussey / Patel (Aus)
Wade / Prior (Eng)

Bowlers
Starc / Broad (Eng)*
Pattinson / Finn (=)*
Siddle / Anderson (Eng)
Lyon / Swann (Eng)

Which is 7-2 to England (2=), however * is where I think (hope) it may change Australia's way which would then make a cracker of a series as it would be equal at 5-5 :)

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Cowan / Compton (=)
Warner / Cook (Eng)
Hughes / Trott (Eng)*
Watson / Pietersen (Eng)
Clarke / Bell (Aus)
Hussey / Patel (Aus)
Wade / Prior (Eng)

Bowlers
Starc / Broad (Eng)*
Pattinson / Finn (=)*
Siddle / Anderson (Eng)
Lyon / Swann (Eng)

Which is 7-2 to England (2=), however * is where I think (hope) it may change Australia's way which would then make a cracker of a series as it would be equal at 5-5 :)
Pattinson > Finn

Finn > Siddle

Would be interested with the comparison if Clarke bats at 4 for Australia instead of Watson.

flibbertyjibber

Cowan / Compton (=)
Warner / Cook (Eng)
Hughes / Trott (Eng)*
Watson / Pietersen (Eng)
Clarke / Bell (Aus)
Hussey / Patel (Aus)
Wade / Prior (Eng)

Bowlers
Starc / Broad (Eng)*
Pattinson / Finn (=)*
Siddle / Anderson (Eng)
Lyon / Swann (Eng)

Agree with that but Patel certainly won't play for us.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Can't complain at that, though I personally don't hold out much hope for Hughes. In fairness, the difference between Hussey and Patel is probably the biggest of the XI.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Something I've never learned - what are the stereotypical pitches for each English ground? It's relatively common knowledge that:

Gabba - greenish first day, bouncy throughout
Adelaide - road, occasional delusions of fifth day turn
Perth - exaggerated bounce for seamers
Hobart - road (until recently?)
Melbourne - slowest/lowest of Australian pitches (not saying much)
Sydney - spinner's deck

But what about Lord's, Headingley, the Oval, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston, Old Trafford, Chester-le-Street?

Last edited: