Page 163 of 180 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

U19 Cricketer
    With Watto to open, I'll be very interested what other changes Boof will make to the top 6. I would go with something like;

Watson
    Rogers
    Warner
    Cowan
    Clarke
    Hughes
    Haddin

As much as Cowan seems like a lovely guy, if he doesn't perform in the first couple of tests Khawaja comes in. Warner won't have played any warm-up games and as much as I wish we could leave him out as a matter of principle, we can't afford not to pick the best team. Pick either him or Hughes to be a long-term number 3.

I would hate to see all 5 openers we have in the same side, pick three of them (IMO Watson, Cowan and Rogers) and let Warner come in for anyone whose form drops, then Hughes, Clarke, Khawaja/Smith.
    As for bowlers, Starc has suddenly stormed back into contention, but I still think Siddle, Pattinson and Harris is looking good, Siddle needs to bowl better in the rest of the warm-ups though. Bird is probably his replacement, and Starc slots in behind the other two, I really don't know what role Faulkner could play if he was picked.
    There are two colours in my head

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    I'd like to see Cowan as a Diet Trott figure at 3. He can act as insurance against collapses, and let's face it - the biggest problem we have is losing two or three wickets in succession.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    So lets give him a proper go to show it this time then. He's played seven tests since his recall, four of which were in conditions that couldn't be more foreign to the conditions he'll get in England. I wasn't completely convinced about his recall, because I felt he probably needed a bit longer to work on his game before getting another go, but now that he's been given one, you can't just bin him against straight away.
    And the thing is, at the back-end of the India tour you could tell he'd worked his arse off to improve - following his complete lol-worthiness against spin in the first two tests, he knuckled down and made a couple of decent scores (69 in the second dig at Mohali before getting a shocker of an lbw decision, then 45 in the fourth game before copping one in the helmet from Sharma off a length).

He wasn't great, but he'd worked hard to not be completely useless at the end of the series. And that's what we need from out batsmen right now - hard work to overcome technical flaws.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I don't think there's any doubt Hughes has worked his proverbial off trying to fix his technique. And he's had to do it while being in and out of the test side to boot. Whether he ultimately makes it or not, I don't know. But you can't fault his effort at trying to change his game. He deserves a lot of credit for that.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I wonder if Watson has been told he gets all 5 tests to prove his worth? That would be a luxury we can't afford if he doesn't score and were losing. I agree with only picking 3 openers though. But if Watson opens either we call Hughes a middle order bat or Uzi and Smith have to bat 4 and 6. They have loaded the team with them.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    I'd like to see Cowan as a Diet Trott figure at 3. He can act as insurance against collapses, and let's face it - the biggest problem we have is losing two or three wickets in succession.
    My opinion but it's not really the Aussie way to have a number 3 who knuckles down then scores at a similar rate after absorbing the pressure innit. Last one of that sort was probably Yallop. So I'd guess the selectors would be more likely to go with Warner or Hughes than Cowan.

Still burning that the selectors seem to have hitched their wagon to Watson, tbh.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Still burning that the selectors seem to have hitched their wagon to Watson, tbh.
    So long as they don't take 5 or more tests to accept it's not working if it isn't working. He's been averaging mid 20s as an opener, no.3 and no.4 since the last ashes as well as missing significant chunks due to injuries and indiscretions. 2 maybe 3 tests tops for mine. Make scores (and 30s ain't scores) or **** off. He's got his wish, now he has to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I wonder if Watson has been told he gets all 5 tests to prove his worth? That would be a luxury we can't afford if he doesn't score and were losing. I agree with only picking 3 openers though. But if Watson opens either we call Hughes a middle order bat or Uzi and Smith have to bat 4 and 6. They have loaded the team with them.
    He's probably got all 10. He's the golden boy, remember.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    He's probably got all 10. He's the golden boy, remember.
    Sometimes I wonder if he's a country member...

why is everyone putting clarke at 5. sure india was a 'lets get our best player of spin in earlier' thing, and sure he has a much better record at 5, but we all know it doesn't mean much if anything between 4 and 5. would much rather put him higher, though I don't see a good case with so many openers for MC at 3
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    And the thing is, at the back-end of the India tour you could tell he'd worked his arse off to improve - following his complete lol-worthiness against spin in the first two tests, he knuckled down and made a couple of decent scores (69 in the second dig at Mohali before getting a shocker of an lbw decision, then 45 in the fourth game before copping one in the helmet from Sharma off a length).

He wasn't great, but he'd worked hard to not be completely useless at the end of the series. And that's what we need from out batsmen right now - hard work to overcome technical flaws.
    Yeah I made the point a week or so ago that Hughes seems like the guy who absolutely works his socks off, when LHC had Khawaja over him in the no ****s XI. For that reason I hope he does well really. Would be really frustrating if he's dropped because of a poor India test where he got a couple of brute deliveries (Jadeja at Chennai, Ishant at Delhi) and a poor umpiring decision. Even if he did look crap for a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    why is everyone putting clarke at 5. sure india was a 'lets get our best player of spin in earlier' thing, and sure he has a much better record at 5, but we all know it doesn't mean much if anything between 4 and 5. would much rather put him higher, though I don't see a good case with so many openers for MC at 3
    Because every other decent Australian batsman in the country is an opener, so it's much better idea to have them at 3 and 4. Besides, I quite like the idea of having the sides best batsman at five if the batting line up is weak. Everyone always whinges and it, but there's a reason guys like Chanderpaul don't bat three for the West Indies, they're far too valuable to have to go out when batting is at it's absolute toughest. It's much better to have a plodder like Cowan try to blunt the new ball and make Clarke's job easier when he first comes in. It's the best possible way to maximise the batting skill of Clarke IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    i guess the counter argument to that is that your best batsmen is probably most able to get through the tough conditions, and so give the crappier batsmen a chance to bat in condiitions they are more likely to excel.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    In this case they're also more accustomed to dealing with those conditions and circumstances though, since they're natural openers in FC cricket, and Clarke isn't. Obviously it would be a bit more complicated if they were all middle order batsmen.

Clarke at 5 shouldnt be changed for any reason. Its one of the few things thats actually working. We just need people for him to bat with.

Thread Information