Cricket Player Manager
Page 160 of 180 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Harris, Patto and Bird could win the first test for us but its a massive risk given the respective injury records.

you could argue that Starc will give Lyon some footmarks to bowl into, but that also gives Swann some, so it's probably in our interests not to play Starc, he is a crappy bowler anyway though.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

No Starc please. Last person I want bowling if (when) we are defending small totals.

Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    I don't have a massive problem with Harris, Pattinson, Siddle, it's just that I believe Harris, Pattinson, Bird is a bit more dangerous. Not massively so, but we ain't in a position to be giving any freebies and Bird for me offers a bit more than Sidds. Whichever way you slice it Siddle is the first change bowler, he isn't the spearhead. Solid, dependable, runs in all day yadda yadda, but not to my mind as likely to trouble England's best batsmen quite as much as Bird will.

I'm not anywhere near as concerned about Siddle v Bird debates as I am about the selectors still hanging onto the idea a left armer is needed when he isn't one of the best four quicks we have available.
    Exactly how I see it and I had this debate with NUFAN a little while back.

Speaking from an English pov I would would feel more comfortable for our bats to front Siddle over Bird. From what little I saw of Bird last summer he really looks the goods and could be a massive handful with a swinging duke. BUT, there probably isn't a great deal in it as Bird is still a bit of an unknown quantity..........Siddle is the safe bet, he won't let you down but I also don't think he'll rip through our line up. Bird is more of a calculated risk but could potentially tear as a new one.

This debate is a bit redundant anyway on 2 counts. 1) The bowling department isn't your issue and 2) Harris especially and Patto quite likely won't play all 5 tests..........all the bowlers mentioned are going to feature during the series.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Sick and tired of people writing off Siddle. It's as if the blokes's consistency and durability has been twisted into a "he lacks x-factor" argument. Like averaging 26 since the last Ashes is grounds for "derp, he just runs in all day" if you haven't sprinkled it with 7-fors.

It was the same old **** before the last Ashes, and he took 6 on the opening day. Jacko can wait his turn.
    Yeah, Siddle has to be the second, if not the first, seamer on the team sheet. Probably only beaten by Patto in terms of performances in the last two years, but his durability and consistency is far greater. Also probably the only bowler in the squad who isn't dependent on getting the new cherry. Third seamer can be a mix of Harris and Bird. Lets be honest, Harris isn't going to play five tests, so Bird will still have a pretty big role to play.

Tbh though, I wouldn't be too disappointed with an attack of Pattinson, Bird and Harris. I just hope they don't, and fear they will, go with Starc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

The selectors will probably feel bad not playing Starc, especially after his boycott of the IPL season, he is pretty dangerous with the swinging ball tbf though.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    It's a pretty fine line, and the attack probably wouldn't be too different if Siddle played instead, but at this stage I think out best chance is by not holding back at all with selections. It's risky to have Harris, Bird and Pattinson all in the same attack, but it's one I'd be taking given the shambolic performances we probably should expect from of our batting line-up (no matter what combination they decide on). If we are putting up totals like 200 or less, I'd much prefer seeing Jackon Bird supporting Harris/Pattinson that seeing Siddle run in. In any case Siddle hasn't been very impressive of late.
    The only bowler that enhanced their reputation in India was Patto tbf. He's the rightful spearhead, but Siddle offers the only guarantee of consistency and injury immunity among the bowlers.

If nothing else, I'd like to avoid re-living the scenario of Hauritz being dumped for Doherty on speculation and a morning net bowl-off. In the current side Sid has the most Tests under his belt apart from Haddin and Clarke, and maturity is a premium in this team.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Don't mind Starc at all. He's fitter than all the others and can bat. Could be useful given the form of those inside the 1st six.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    except doherty is bad and Bird isn't
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

The better comparison could be England dropping Finn for Bresnan, in that Finn didn't really put in drop-worthy performances, but there was a belief Bresnan could add a bit more

Bresnan could bat a bit though and was largely picked for team balance in India (playing Swann and Monty without gimping the batting). Bird would bat beneath Lyon.

i am talking about that ashes series that took place here the other year. If Bird makes the team better, he makes the team better, and it's tough for the unlucky guy who misses. and if he doesn't make the team better, he misses. it's pretty simple. there's no room for "ohhhh but we wuv siddle so much he can stay in the team even if we think this guy is actually a better bowler"
    Last edited by Spikey; 26-06-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    i am talking about that ashes series that took place here the other year. If Bird makes the team better, he makes the team better, and it's tough for the unlucky guy who misses. and if he doesn't make the team better, he misses. it's pretty simple. there's no room for "ohhhh but we wuv siddle so much he can stay"
    I see where you're coming from, but two Tests against the little Sri Lankans does not an Ashes certainty make.

Compton probably dropped for Ashes.

Someone had to make way for KP. Bairstow the clear beneficiary though, pretty much cements his spot barring a huge ****-up. Curious to see how Root will stack up against a frothing Patto with a new ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post

This debate is a bit redundant anyway on 2 counts. 1) The bowling department isn't your issue and 2) Harris especially and Patto quite likely won't play all 5 tests..........all the bowlers mentioned are going to feature during the series.
    That's true, but given the lack of confidence the Aus team will likely have going into this series, a win in the first test will be pretty crucial to our chances imo. Really don't think we can handle being anything but frontrunners in this series.

Thread Information