• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Woodster

International Captain
On the Compton issue, I think he's shown enough in the Indian series to suggest he's worth persevering with against New Zealand on pitches he may be more familiar with. In his most recent innings my initial concern was that while he was looking solid I wondered whether he had sufficient scoring options in order to get the board ticking. It wasn't necessarily vital as Cook was playing as fluently as he ever has, so I guess Compton was content to consolidate the partnership and wait patiently for his scoring opportunities. So in that respect his temperament looks good, as his innings progressed he did start to work the ball better and both he and Cook began to get that understanding in their running and picked mainly on the fielder at mid off and mid on.

He will need a decent performance in Nagpur to strengthen his case, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't given a chance in New Zealand. He looks organised and is a serious athlete, he just needs that big innings in the next few Tests and I think he'll be in. Don't see the fact he bats at three for Somerset as an issue, the step up to open should not be a big change for him.

sli

Cricket Spectator
you have to say the Aussies are value betting wise, with the bowling of pattison, starc, siddle, cummins in English conditions they will be hard to play against :ph34r:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Compton has the look of a batsman who has significantly reigned himself in the last couple of years. You can see every so often he's itching to really get at the spinners.

Flem274*

123/5
If Eden Park number one gets the same treatment as number two and Colin Maiden, all 12 batsmen in the game and some of the tail will be licking their lips. Prime opportunity for Compton to make a name for himself there.

The Basin and the Uni Oval will be fair pitches though, and will be a good gauge.

SS1

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
you have to say the Aussies are value betting wise, with the bowling of pattison, starc, siddle, cummins in English conditions they will be hard to play against :ph34r:
I disagree with that massively.

Batting wise the Aussies will need Clarke and Hussey to bat for hours and hours and hours in England. Warner and Hughes have (maybe had in Hughes case) serious technical issues. Cowan is nothing special and whats more, they are all lefties and England undoubtedly prefer bowling at lefties than right. Warner averaged in the 20's on his only soiree outside Australia. That kind of batsman, a slogger primarily is not suited to Test match cricket in England. He's like Gayle or Sehwag, who average 34 and 27 in England. Then you have the likes of Watson, who as a batsman is nothing more than average. He's a 50 and out guy that buckles under the scrutiny of good Test match bowling.

Bowling wise they look decent enough but none of their young bowlers look absolutely incredible. Cummins is the pick but appears to be very injury prone. I like Starc and Pattinson looks decent enough but they aren't sending the 1980's West Indies quartet are they here. Siddle and Hilfenhaus still play ! I thought they'd be put out to pasture after England rocked up 600 - 1 and 500 - 3 etc on their own wickets. The mere fact that they likely come back to England for the next Ashes tells you all you need to know about Australia right now. Their spin option is likely to be Lyon....I mean come on !

Australia have one superstar in Clarke who is absolutely exceptional and Hussey is brilliant as well, although his biggest quality is that he appears to love batting against England. Those two will need to carry Australia in 2013 IMHO. They'll be competitive because its the Ashes but if England bowl anything like, Australia will seldomly put 400 up in the first innings and that will largely end their hopes.

Spark

Global Moderator
How much of Siddle and Hilfenhaus have you watched since the Ashes?

EDIT: Let alone Lyon.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
I disagree with that massively.

Batting wise the Aussies will need Clarke and Hussey to bat for hours and hours and hours in England. Warner and Hughes have (maybe had in Hughes case) serious technical issues. Cowan is nothing special and whats more, they are all lefties and England undoubtedly prefer bowling at lefties than right. Warner averaged in the 20's on his only soiree outside Australia. That kind of batsman, a slogger primarily is not suited to Test match cricket in England. He's like Gayle or Sehwag, who average 34 and 27 in England. Then you have the likes of Watson, who as a batsman is nothing more than average. He's a 50 and out guy that buckles under the scrutiny of good Test match bowling.

Bowling wise they look decent enough but none of their young bowlers look absolutely incredible. Cummins is the pick but appears to be very injury prone. I like Starc and Pattinson looks decent enough but they aren't sending the 1980's West Indies quartet are they here. Siddle and Hilfenhaus still play ! I thought they'd be put out to pasture after England rocked up 600 - 1 and 500 - 3 etc on their own wickets. The mere fact that they likely come back to England for the next Ashes tells you all you need to know about Australia right now. Their spin option is likely to be Lyon....I mean come on !

Australia have one superstar in Clarke who is absolutely exceptional and Hussey is brilliant as well, although his biggest quality is that he appears to love batting against England. Those two will need to carry Australia in 2013 IMHO. They'll be competitive because its the Ashes but if England bowl anything like, Australia will seldomly put 400 up in the first innings and that will largely end their hopes.

There's a few issues here.

1. Warner's issues are more tempramental than technical. He occasionally snicks them, but most batsmen do, he certainly doesn't have many glaring problems like Hughes did to certain deliveries. He's a hot and cold player, a bit like Jayasuria at test level, but make no mistake, he will probably smash a run a ball century at some point in the series, that could have the potential to win a match.

Warner knocked a maiden ton on a greentop in Hobart, not to dissimilar to the worst of English conditions, when everyone else was dropping like flies. Underrate him at your peril imo.

2. As for the bowling attack, they are all young, and have had their fair share of injury problems. Pattinson is definately the best bowler of the 3, his style suits English conditions perfectly, he swings the new and old ball, and he's more than a few yards sharper than Anderson. Starc reminds me a bit of a young Morkel, all over the joint, but had alot of potential, will extract the most natural bounce, along with Finn, both could be a handful for the Australian/English batsmen.

Pattinson/Starc/Siddle will be the bowling attack imo, Hilfenhaus was dropped for the Perth test imo and is more likely cover imo, Cummins could be a trump card if he manages to get some fitness between now and July, he's only been sat down as a precaution, so it's possible he might make the trip, and considering how much he swung the ball in South Africa, and he's the quickest bowler of both counties, the English would be hoping he doesn't make the trip imo......

Steyn's the only bowler in world cricket capable of bowling high 140's and swinging it consistently atm, Pattinson is just a yard slower, but has similar capabilities. Cummins was bowling 150km/h and swinging it as a 17 year old, add to that he's 6"6, you get my drift basically.............

I think the English coaches would be more worried about the Australian battery, than the other way around personally.

Australia has the best bowling attack of the two nations imo.

Last edited: