Page 136 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

  1. #2026
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,034
    Rogers with another 100 for Middlesex today

    If he keeps it up, he has to be a shoe-in for the first test

  2. #2027
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    10,466
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Rogers with another 100 for Middlesex today

    If he keeps it up, he has to be a shoe-in for the first test
    Possibly to replace Cowan, 3 50's in 11 innings is hardly setting the world on fire and against lesser attacks than he will face in the test series.

  3. #2028
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    8,320
    There's room for them both IMO.

    1. Warner
    2. Cowan
    3. Rogers
    4. Hughes
    5. Clarke
    6. Watson
    7. Haddin

    Is the best top 7 from the squad IMO. I'm not at all convinced by Khawaja and while Wade as a batsman could work, I wouldn't be doing it first test of an ashes.

  4. #2029
    International Coach grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not looking at the flowers.
    Posts
    13,957
    Hey Jim Allenby has scored a century too, he must be better than Hughes or Cowan.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman


  5. #2030
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    40,397
    Warner looks terribly out of form atm. I think there's a real chance he might miss out unless he catches fire in the CT.

    J Silk to be selected mid-series, and become the next Bradman.

  6. #2031
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    134
    Ahmed gets ticket to England, next stop Ashes? | The Armidale Express

    Ahmed gets ticket to England, next stop Ashes?

    By Jesse Hogan and Chloe Saltau

    June 6, 2013, 10:56 a.m.
    The unofficial head-to-head duel for Australia's prime Ashes spinning slot will start in a week after Cricket Australia announced it would send leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed to England following a parliamentary breakthrough.
    The morning after an amendment passed the House of Representatives to allow cricketers to have citizenship applications fast-tracked, which brings it into line with tennis and other Olympic sport, CA announced Pakistan-born Ahmed, 31, would fly to England over the weekend to join the Australia A squad.


    Enter the Leggie. The oval test just got a hell of alot more interesting.
    Last edited by sphynx; 05-06-2013 at 07:40 PM.

  7. #2032
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,034
    Quote Originally Posted by sphynx View Post
    Ahmed gets ticket to England, next stop Ashes? | The Armidale Express

    Ahmed gets ticket to England, next stop Ashes?

    By Jesse Hogan and Chloe Saltau

    June 6, 2013, 10:56 a.m.
    The unofficial head-to-head duel for Australia's prime Ashes spinning slot will start in a week after Cricket Australia announced it would send leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed to England following a parliamentary breakthrough.
    The morning after an amendment passed the House of Representatives to allow cricketers to have citizenship applications fast-tracked, which brings it into line with tennis and other Olympic sport, CA announced Pakistan-born Ahmed, 31, would fly to England over the weekend to join the Australia A squad.


    Enter the Leggie. The oval test just got a hell of alot more interesting.
    So some bloke with virtually no fc experience is supposed to be our saviour?

    What a joke!

    I will be disgusted if he gets picked for a test in the Ashes and would prefer that they play with 4 quicks in every game if they don't consider Lyon good enough (which he is)

  8. #2033
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    So some bloke with virtually no fc experience is supposed to be our saviour?

    What a joke!

    I will be disgusted if he gets picked for a test in the Ashes and would prefer that they play with 4 quicks in every game if they don't consider Lyon good enough (which he is)

    Who's calling him a savior?

    "Virtually no fc experience"

    Nathan Lyon was picked for the test side with less than half a season of SS cricket, a bit hypocritical.

    FWIW, more than one batsman, from more than one state has come out and called him the best spinner in the country. Do they have an agenda also? I've heard both Brad Haddin and Marcus North describe him as easily the best spinner in the shield during the Aus summer.

    He's going on the A tour, he will pick himself if he is worthy. If anything else, it gives us a legitimate second option (with variety) for the Oval and Sydney.

    This is no bloody All-Star lineup. Like Rogers, if you are taking wickets and knocking runs, every spot is up for grabs. The only locks in this side atm are Michael Clarke and James Pattinson.
    Last edited by sphynx; 05-06-2013 at 11:49 PM.

  9. #2034
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,289
    same is true of the coaching staff imo, and with boof racking up titles left right and centre reckon he should be selected as coach for the ashes
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

  10. #2035
    School Boy/Girl Captain Backlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    136
    This whole Ahmed thing is basically rock bottom for Australian cricket.

    How someone like Sutherland continues to keep his job saddens me deeply.

  11. #2036
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    This whole Ahmed thing is basically rock bottom for Australian cricket.

    How someone like Sutherland continues to keep his job saddens me deeply.
    Were I to be Australian that would sum up my opinion perfectly

  12. #2037
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    24,918
    One season ago he hadn't played grade cricket in Australia. Last year he took 36 wickets at 16. Bryce had 54 @ 13.5 (in four more matches).

    Seriously, though, when you get a guy come out of local cricket and do well, you see a lot of people trying to put him down, say he's fluking it, etc. Pretty much everyone has been impressed when they've been up against him and given him his due. We only played him in a T20 so bit hard to say much. As I've said before, just worry about how damaging his leg spinner is. Got all the tricks though.

  13. #2038
    State Captain Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    1,782
    I don't get what the excitement is about him......39 FC wickets at 32 a piece??

    I don't give a crap where he comes from, if he qualifies and he's the best in the country then pick him. But why is he being talked up so much?? The batting in the Sheffield Shield is clearly dire and an ave of 32 whilst not poor by any means is not exactly tearing the competition up is it??
    We are the army, the Barmy Army
    Oh we are mental, and we are mad
    We are the loyalest, cricket supporters
    That the world has ever had


    http://youtu.be/bzcfFyh30_Y

  14. #2039
    International Captain ajdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I don't get what the excitement is about him......39 FC wickets at 32 a piece??

    I don't give a crap where he comes from, if he qualifies and he's the best in the country then pick him. But why is he being talked up so much?? The batting in the Sheffield Shield is clearly dire and an ave of 32 whilst not poor by any means is not exactly tearing the competition up is it??
    his fc stats also include 10 matches in pakistan spread over 5 years and two teams, think it was 16 wickets in 3 shield matches at 28, he has good control tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

  15. #2040
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    10,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I don't get what the excitement is about him......39 FC wickets at 32 a piece??

    I don't give a crap where he comes from, if he qualifies and he's the best in the country then pick him. But why is he being talked up so much?? The batting in the Sheffield Shield is clearly dire and an ave of 32 whilst not poor by any means is not exactly tearing the competition up is it??
    Desperation to find a spinner they can call a matchwinner in the Warne/MacGill mould, fact he is a leggie makes them excited as they think England will fall in a heap as soon as they see an Aussie leggie. Nice story and all that but poor lad is having immense pressure shoved on him, more than Tahir had for SA and that worked well didn't it.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV
    By four_or_six in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 10:11 AM
  2. Ashes Coming Home
    By SurreyFan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 05:41 AM
  3. Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends
    By The Sean in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  4. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •