• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah and I was right......have you dropped off the ODI No1 spot?? Just took a little longer than anticipated is all.

Yeah, sucks to be us in this situation. The rankings predictor is having a meltdown on the ICC site so can't work out how much we'll have to beat you lot by just to get back to No 2. Reckon it will have to be better than 3-0 though.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Starc's action is round arm tbh, but maybe we have different views of what that term is.
i'm sorry bud but it is. So is Faulkner's and any left armer who bowls a bad spell every now and then. left armers are all regular Mitchell Johnsons now.

Top_Cat

I love the reasoning about Starc; if he goes and bowls well, he'll continue to be selected where he might have an off day and cost the team a Test. The horror! You can't pick a guy who might cost a Test! He's taken several bags against just about everyone in all forms of the game and the selectors (wrongly, tbh) keep rewarding that with selection, despite the mounting evidence proving he doesn't actually have the game to be a Test bowler. He'll take 300+ Test wickets proving what some good judges have known all along; that he's crap and should be back playing for NSW where he can work on his Test game. Once he's the finished article (i.e. a proven Shield Noffke) then, and only then, can he be selected in the Test side again.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
i'm sorry bud but it is. So is Faulkner's and any left armer who bowls a bad spell every now and then. left armers are all regular Mitchell Johnsons now.
Meh. Maybe he's not that round arm, but he's definitely pretty slingly and a different type of bowler to Boult or Zaheer.

Spikey

i'm just sick of the MJ-Starc comparison and am raging. I DONT SEE ANYONE COMPARING TAIT AND PATTINSON BUT PATTINSON CAN BE SUCKY AND ERRATIC TOO

Spikey

can someone break Lyon's hand for me? I wanna see noted dreamboat Ashton Agar play instead. thx.

Ruckus

International Captain
I love the reasoning about Starc; if he goes and bowls well, he'll continue to be selected where he might have an off day and cost the team a Test. The horror! You can't pick a guy who might cost a Test! He's taken several bags against just about everyone in all forms of the game and the selectors (wrongly, tbh) keep rewarding that with selection, despite the mounting evidence proving he doesn't actually have the game to be a Test bowler. He'll take 300+ Test wickets proving what some good judges have known all along; that he's crap and should be back playing for NSW where he can work on his Test game. Once he's the finished article (i.e. a proven Shield Noffke) then, and only then, can he be selected in the Test side again.
This is an Ashes series. You can't keep picking a guy who has a good chance of costing the team a test, or at least contributing heavily too it. It's bloody ridiculous to have that mentality in such an important series. Not wanting to draw the comparisons here (because I agree they are pretty superficial), but it's the exact same reasoning that you're seemingly advocating which saw MJ keep getting selected. And how did that go? Surprise, surprise inconsistent bowlers produce moments of brilliance amongst steaming piles of horse****. If you have a raw, talented, but ultimately inconsistent bowler on you hands - like Starc is - it is fine to play them if you exercise prudence (e.g. only playing them in particularly favorable conditions, or when there are enough other good bowlers to cover for them), but it is just plain dumb to make them a stock member of the side and give them game after game. It's just waiting to come back and bite you in the ass.

Laugh at the suggestion Starc has "taken several bags against just about everyone in all forms of the game" too btw (were you being sarcastic?). I guess that includes his two 5-fors, one of which was basically all tail, and the other which was literally one of the worst 6-fors I've ever witnessed.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
uhuh, well seeing as though you seemingly believe Starc has actually performed well in test cricket so far (something I'm pretty confident nobody would agree with), I can only assume you're totally deluded.

Top_Cat

And yet he keeps getting picked. When will those crazy, useless selectors wake up?

And I'm not the deluded soul who keeps comparing him to Johnson, a bowler with which he shares a first name and bowling arm but almost nothing else.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Because he has shown potential, not because he has produced good results. He is compared to Johnson because he a left-arm, inconsistent quick, who is capable of brilliance and also a lot of garbage. That's where the comparison ends for me.

Flem274*

123/5
Siddle should play.

I don't think Starc is one of Australia's best three seamers, so he shouldn't.

Pattinson, Harris, Siddle, Lyon

That is all. I await further paragraphs.

Top_Cat

i'm just sick of the MJ-Starc comparison and am raging. I DONT SEE ANYONE COMPARING TAIT AND PATTINSON BUT PATTINSON CAN BE SUCKY AND ERRATIC TOO
And despite his rep for being erratic, Tait a better LO bowler than Pattinson no matter which way you slice it.

Spikey

which is kinda funny because when he made his test debut Patto had a LO 5er and no FC 5ers

Top_Cat

More craziness; Tait averaged mid-20s in FC cricket for SA. ALMOST THE SAME AS JAMES PATTINSON FOR VICTORIA.

Incidentally, Warne averaged mid-30's for Victoria. That hack.

Last edited:

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Anyone else bored to the back teeth on the subject of Australian team selection?

Just want the series to start now, partly to stop all that nonsense.

flibbertyjibber

Anyone else bored to the back teeth on the subject of Australian team selection?

Just want the series to start now, partly to stop all that nonsense.
No, I find it funny as nobody seems to have a clue what side they will pick. Shows how badly organised they are/have been over recent times.