Page 133 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Slightly weird article about ricky ponting:

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

So on one hand:

"This was the series I was playing on for without a doubt," he said.

"I felt Australia would have been a stronger side in this Ashes with both me and Mike Hussey in the side.

"The Ashes are the pinnacle and England is the greatest tour to be on. But the bottom line is I just wasn't good enough any more to be a part of this team."

yet:

Asked, inevitably, if he would come back if needed, the former skipper said yes but admitted it was almost certainly not going to happen.

"You wouldn't say no, would you, if that call came and I would never say never," Ponting said.

"But you have to say a call-up like that now is extremely unlikely."

I don't really get that...if he thinks he wasn't good enough for the team when he retired, then why would he say yes to an unlikely call-up now? Unless it's taken out of context, and he was talking about an emergency situation where they needed an extra batsmen in the squad.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Lloyd George was Welsh, wasn't he?

Question isn't directed at Corrin, obviously. He wouldn't have a clue.
    Yes he was.

Richard Dickinson also professes to be Welsh.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Yeah, I read that as "I don't think I'm quite up to Test standard any more, so it's a waste playing on and unfair on the team. But if the day before the Oval Test the entire top 4 came down with gastro and we'd have to play Mitch Starc at 6, I'd come back and fill in".

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yes he was.

Richard Dickinson also professes to be Welsh.
    He also professes a deep knowledge of cricket tbf.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

yeah, that's probably right. Although, Hussey's decision to leave was probably unknown to him at the time of his own retirement, so it would be interesting to know if he thinks he would be good enough in a side minus Hussey.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    To the guy who said he can't wait for Pattinson to perform like Johnson did in 2009, that just won't happen. Pattinson's temperament is completely different. He's confident, aggressive and cocky. Johnson is a far more sensitive character, unsure of himself, very much a confidence player. If you want to compare Pattinson to someone in temperament, think Lee.

Patto will at least play well. He is an archetypal Australian fast bowler. Harris and Siddle will play well. Lyon will bowl respectably. It'll be all about how many runs the batting line up can put together. They had a woeful series in India, but they are not short on talent.
    Last edited by 3703; 29-05-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    He also professes a deep knowledge of cricket tbf.
    Needs to come back for the ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by 3703 View Post
    To the guy who said he can't wait for Pattinson to perform like Johnson did in 2009, that just won't happen. Pattinson's temperament is completely different. He's confident, aggressive and cocky. Johnson is a far more sensitive character, unsure of himself, very much a confidence player. If you want to compare Pattinson to someone in temperament, think Lee.

Patto will at least play well. He is an archetypal Australian fast bowler. Harris and Siddle will play well. Lyon will bowl respectably. It'll be all about how many runs the batting line up can put together. They had a woeful series in India, but they are not short on talent.
    Pattinson is going to have an excellent career but there is no guarantee he will have a good series, not bowled much at all in England has he?

Harris will be injured.

Siddle will be Siddle, nothing to fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Pattinson is going to have an excellent career but there is no guarantee he will have a good series, not bowled much at all in England has he?

Harris will be injured.

Siddle will be Siddle, nothing to fear.
    Whatever attack Australia manage to put on the park, they will be miles better than the Kiwis who have hardly been taken to the cleaners by the English batsmen

Anyway, everyone knows that the Australian bowling is not the issue - our batting simply isn't good enough

Southee and Boult are on the same level as most Australian bowlers but obviously Australia has a load more strength in depth. England don't need to 'take them to the cleaners,' they need to make decent scores, which I think they will do enough times to win the series. Australia have good bowlers but they are being hyped, really don't think they are any better than England's.

Quote Originally Posted by 3703 View Post

after 10 tests Lee had played solely in Australia and New Zealand, no sub continent or RSA let alone the Ashes in England. He was quality in those early games but I think he's no where near as arrogant (or delusional) as Lee. He's a quality paceman, much more like McGrath, dare I say it.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Main difference between the Kiwi attack and the Aussie attack is pace. Pattinson can swing the ball as much as Southee but several notches quicker - that is where we'll see a visible improvement. If he can control the duke within time, he could be more dangerous. Equally Harris swings it at pace, but suggesting either will be consistently available is impossible in itself. Its entirely ifs and buts. I reckon that attack, with Siddle, could continually rip through our batting line up but it doesn't mean it will happen or is even likely to happen..

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Main difference between the Kiwi attack and the Aussie attack is pace. Pattinson can swing the ball as much as Southee but several notches quicker - that is where we'll see a visible improvement. If he can control the duke within time, he could be more dangerous. Equally Harris swings it at pace, but suggesting either will be consistently available is impossible in itself. Its entirely ifs and buts. I reckon that attack, with Siddle, could continually rip through our batting line up but it doesn't mean it will happen or is even likely to happen..
    Agree 100% but with the overrider that Oz batsmen will have to play on the same pitch and that is where we are ****ed

IMO, Oz fast bowling stocks are POTENTIALLY the equivalent of the Windies mid/late 70s but our batting isn't far removed from current day NZ/Bangladesh

You simply cannot expect a group of talented but inexperienced and injury prone guys to bowl Oz to victory over a 5 test series when the batting cannot be relied upon to score 150 on a road

From this article- The Ashes 2013 : Ricky Ponting backtracks over Ashes SOS | Cricket News | Australia in England - The Ashes | ESPN Cricinfo

Comes this quote (referring to the homework saga)...

"I can understand what the captain and coach were trying to achieve but I'm not sure I totally agree with what happened," he said. "I don't know for sure how I would have handled that situation but those type of things didn't happen when I was captain."

Interesting.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Jackson Bird should have a decent say at some point in the series, assuming he gets a run. Which he probably will given injuries.

Thread Information