Page 126 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Don't think it's been '****ing terrible' though has it? I didn't watch a chunk of the tour to NZ due to being time zoned though, so I might have missed out on some poor performances.
    Well, UAE aside there's been no absolute disasters but there's still been some pretty rank displays of inept batsmanship, 1st innings of the NZ Test series in particular.

England's brainfades seem to be exactly that, though, brainfades - ours are more due to long-standing technical/mental issues which are strongly tied to that whole "not good enough" thing.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

It's also worth noting that when Clarke does fire, he has a tendency a fair bit of the time to carry at least part of the batting lineup with him - most of his big scores have been accompanied by a massive partnership (or two), and they haven't always involved Hussey.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    It's also worth noting that when Clarke does fire, he has a tendency a fair bit of the time to carry at least part of the batting lineup with him - most of his big scores have been accompanied by a massive partnership (or two), and they haven't always involved Hussey.
    They usually have though

The most notable exception I can think of was Ponting at home against India, and that's about as useful as Hussey really.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    If Australia are to have a chance I don't think it will need 5 Clarke centuries on the trot, or something equally absurd, anyhow, it will just need a breakthrough series from someone akin to Samuels against us last year. It does happen. I'd be most hopeful for someone like Hughes or Cowan to do it; someone with some good history in England, who has shown glimpses of class in the past. If your batting holds together averagely to well, and someone less celebrated has a great series, you'll be in with a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    If Australia are to have a chance I don't think it will need 5 Clarke centuries on the trot, or something equally absurd, anyhow, it will just need a breakthrough series from someone akin to Samuels against us last year. It does happen. I'd be most hopeful for someone like Hughes or Cowan to do it; someone with some good history in England, who has shown glimpses of class in the past. If your batting holds together averagely to well, and someone less celebrated has a great series, you'll be in with a shout.
    The point is that we don't have a snowball's chance in hell

Sorry but that is reality

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    The thing I find most perplexing about England's batting is that everyone used to amass massive scores and now we're lucky if the guys convert their starts to 100's, let alone 200's. Trott got about 4 scores of over 50 last summer but didn't get one 80. That's worrying for a guy who used to make 150 for fun after reaching 50. Cook and KP are the only ones to have made more than 130 odd in an innings since the India series in 2011.

Recently concluded Lords test is a perfect example as well. In the first innings everyone in the top order faced at least 60 balls, yet the highest score was 41.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    They usually have though

The most notable exception I can think of was Ponting at home against India, and that's about as useful as Hussey really.
    Cowan at Brisbane and Warner at Adelaide, against the Saffa's as well. Although you probably don't count the latter

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Eng have Cook, Bell, KP, Prior and Trott averaging mid 40s+ and Root coming up. Compton's ok. Bairstow's about. You haven't watched Aus to get some perspective have you?
    I've been banging the "Australia's lineup is ****ing pants" drum for longer than pretty much anyone on CW.

England's is pretty awful as well. Every score of substance since India were on these shores has had Cook and/or KP scoring pretty heavily. If neither of them fire then the batting just falls to pieces.

Bell and Trott have been absolutely terrible for the last 2 years and Root and Compton are unproven. That's not a particularly solid lineup.

I don't think it's hard at all to imagine that the Australian quicks can make a pretty big mess of the England batting in multiple innings. Obviously the England attack are pretty likely to do the same to us a few times either, but talk of us being no hope is way overblown.

England deserve to start favourites, but I rate this a better Australian side than the last Ashes side. Our bowling is miles better in every respect. Our batting is really no worse, and our onfield leadership will be a lot more aggressive. England however aren't a better side than the last time we met them. Maybe no worse, or not much, but certainly no better. It will be a really competitive series I reckon.

International Debutant
    But thats the nature of batting line ups isn't it? Form is hardly ever even throughout the side so a few carry the rest. Big problem when they few is one called Clarke who is due for a correction sometime. Not such a big problem when you have 5 men averaging in the mid 40s plus someone like Root. The form baton can be passed around with a little more security. Your batting's too strong and your bowling well settled.

Too others don't write off Tremlett. There's still time to find form and if required he's still worth a gamble otherwise. As to the heroic assumptions in Social's post; well it could rain and we could avert a blotting that way.

aussie 10 nil you can all suck a fat one

also you forgot b social
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post

England deserve to start favourites, but I rate this a better Australian side than the last Ashes side. Our bowling is miles better in every respect. Our batting is really no worse, and our onfield leadership will be a lot more aggressive.
    I think you definitely have a better bowling attack this time around, provided you can get them through 5 tests which has got to be your biggest concern. But your batting is way way worse.......

In 2010/11 you had an in form Watson, Haddin peaking with his batting and then of course Clarke (not as good then but still good) and Hussey.

Now, you've got Clarke, end of story. Your next best is what....Warner?? Career ave less than 40 and currently ranked outside the top 30.

I think our own batting is worse than it was last time no doubt about that, but we still beat you in every position bar Clarke IMO. England have 5 bats in the top 30 you have 1.

I reckon MW is right on the money. For Australia to win this series it will require 1 or 2 of the Aussie batsmen apart from Clarke to come of age and have a very good series...........and that certainly is not an impossibility.

Clarke was rubbish in the last Ashes (ave 21), Kat never got going (ave 24) and Hughes was worse (ave 16), Ponting was utter gash (ave 16), North got his arse punted (also ave 16) and Smith (ave 32) and Khawaja (ave 29) showed only minor glimpses of being up to the level.

So yeah Huss (ave 63), Watson (ave 48) and Hadds (ave 45) made the few runs we strung together. But you'd have to have some pretty rose coloured glasses on to think that pile of **** will go better than our current line up. We stank massively and those numbers are pretty comparable to what we just turned out in India. It really was that bad - for a home series.

Now Clarke is the obvious one to fill the Huss role. No guarantees of course, but on form you have to pick him as most likely to score heavily. Haddin seems to be at his best against England and had his best summer in a long while so no reason to assume he won't contribute again. And our tail bat much better than the last Ashes series too.

Watson's runs are a little harder to make up, but I reckon Warner has them covered. Whilst we haven't seen him in English conditions yet I think he'll do a lot better than he has managed on the slow tracks in India and Carribean. He averages 50 in Australia and whilst English tracks aren't going to be as good for him as home, they will still come on enough for him to make runs. Even his 24 ave in India last series would have had him in our better bats in the last Ashes. He'll go ok.

As for the rest Hughes, Cowan, and Rogers will all go better than the men they've replaced from last time (or were last time) I've no doubt. Watson is an enigma, but if he doesn't perform Khawaja or Wade will come in. Whatever way we go, it's hard to imagine we won't go better with the bat than the last Ashes effort which was utterly disgraceful. Nothing like way worse, we're better (but have no depth). The question of how much better will be answered on the field. A couple of break outs will be much much better obvs, but even just solid mid-30s Cowanesq averages will be an improvement.

India was a massive kick in the guts for us no doubt, but India has always been our bogey trip. You can't read too much into that. We performed reasonably well last summer and SA were damn close to being 2-0 down before they got really firing in Perth and we accounted for SL pretty convincingly. That's more indicative of what we'll be like in the Ashes. Not saying we'll come over and give you a repeat of 89, but we're in this. Should be tight and probably will come down to a 2-1 result like the last two tours. Hopefully 2-1 to the good this time though.
    Last edited by adub; 21-05-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    1 warner
    2 cowan
    3 rogers
    4 hughes
    5 clarke
    6 copeland
    7 haddin
    8 agar
    9 starc
    10 pattinson
    11 hogan
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    nah just joking. dump pattinson for Magoffin

Robson
    Rogers
    Cowan
    Jaques
    Katich
    Allenby
    M Johnson(WK) - not that one. (Worcester)
    Crook
    Copeland
    Maggofin
    Hogan

Narrowly missed selection: Klinger, Bailey, Burns, North, Quiney(with shoulder in a sling), Walters, Thorp, Claydon.

Thread Information