Cricket Player Manager
Page 124 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

  1. #1846
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,849
    Rogers in the runs again and Cowan not doing much again

    No evidence yet this UK summer to suggest that the latter should retain his spot

  2. #1847
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,322
    There's an article in the paper which includes discussion on Eng providing turning wickets bcos of our record in India and the fact they outgun us in slow bowling; something I'm sure that has occured to fans. In the article Clarke responds by saying atmospheric conditions in Eng will suit fast bowlers irrespective of the state of the pitch. Well maybe. I don't know. But he didn't scorn the suggestion. Could we see a bunch of turners suddenly pop up in the test venures this summer? Either way it mightn't make much difference as our batsmen are suspectible to swing as well. Just that it makes calculating sense to exploit our weakness against spin while neutering our fast bowling talent even at the cost of inhibiting their own.

  3. #1848
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,742
    Yeah its interesting. I genuinely believe preparing turners would be a great tactic by England.

    I also genuinely believe that there is no chance of England actually doing it.

  4. #1849
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,322
    Duuno about that. Might find an unfortunate outbreak of fusarium or they dust off the 1956 playbook.


  5. #1850
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    ***RIP THE PRINCE***
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yeah its interesting. I genuinely believe preparing turners would be a great tactic by England.
    I don't, not at all.

    Sure we may have 2 better spinners than the Aussies, but our strength and our normal conditions suit swing bowling. To prepare turners may not suit the Aussies but I also think it goes against what suits us best too.

    To even think about having to go away from the norm to face the poorest Australian side to tour our shores in forever would be weak as piss IMO.

    It's funny, 1 series win in India and now people talk about Eng being spin gods I don't think we are.....not by a long shot. I'd still be very concerned about our batsmen having to bat on raging turners.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I also genuinely believe that there is no chance of England actually doing it.
    I think if there was a need to seek such an advantage we'd do it, and so we should......but I don't think that's the case.

    If we are tied going into the last test I wouldn't mind them turning up a result wicket (like 2009)

  6. #1851
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,418
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Rogers in the runs again and Cowan not doing much again

    No evidence yet this UK summer to suggest that the latter should retain his spot
    Except for the fact he got 80 od in his last test, didn't he?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  7. #1852
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I think if there was a need to seek such an advantage we'd do it, and so we should......but I don't think that's the case.

    If we are tied going into the last test I wouldn't mind them turning up a result wicket (like 2009)
    If its tied going into the last Test you'd be mad not to produce an absolute road to bat on - if you wanted to dock the pitch to suit England.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

  8. #1853
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    12,059
    Where are the tests?

    Trent Bridge - Swings loads, rarely any spin.
    Lords - Graveyard for spinners.
    Old Trafford - Used to be a paradise for Monty and Harmison with bounce. Pitch turned round so we don't know.
    Riverside - Unknown, never had a test during the summer before so we have no idea what pitch will be like.
    Oval - Batting track that turns later on.

    Realistically there are only two options for England to prepare pitches to suit Swann and Monty, Old Trafford and Oval.Might be a useful back up plan if things don't go well in the opening couple of tests.

  9. #1854
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,849
    Both teams will rely on their seam attack for the most part with Swann being called on to contain and Lyon relied upon to pick up a couple of wickets here and there

    If either team is forced to rely heavily on spin, then they will be more than half way towards being ****ed IMO
    Last edited by social; 16-05-2013 at 01:43 AM.

  10. #1855
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Except for the fact he got 80 od in his last test, didn't he?
    And has also had to play under much harder conditions for batting so far.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  11. #1856
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Except for the fact he got 80 od in his last test, didn't he?
    Nope, 38 & 24

    Neither failures or enough

  12. #1857
    Cricketer Of The Year hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I don't, not at all.

    Sure we may have 2 better spinners than the Aussies, but our strength and our normal conditions suit swing bowling. To prepare turners may not suit the Aussies but I also think it goes against what suits us best too.

    To even think about having to go away from the norm to face the poorest Australian side to tour our shores in forever would be weak as piss IMO.

    I'm tempted to agree with this, but I'm not convinced that the England pacers are what they used to be, on current evidence. Sure Jimmy Anderson is still number 2 most consistent test bowler in the world, but there are some genuine question marks over the rest of the bowlers. Is Stuart Broad still an opening bowler or would he be more suited to first change? Will Tremlett be fit and firing? If not, Bresnan?

  13. #1858
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    Playing two spinners in cloudy conditions in England because Australia can't play spin is like leaving your gun at home because five months ago your opponent lost a duel with wiffle bats.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 17-05-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

  14. #1859
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,742
    Not if the pitches are spinning though, and not if your third fast bowler is not fit or **** form. If the pitches were spinning, plus there was helpful conditions for swing, I really don't see how 2 fast bowlers and 2 spinners would be a bad tactic.

    Really, if Tremlett isn't fit playing Monty on a turning track would not be a horrible choice ahead of Bresnan or Finn. I guess it depends on Bresnan's form and fitness, but as of right now, it wouldn't be a ridiculous call.

  15. #1860
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Not if the pitches are spinning though, and not if your third fast bowler is not fit or **** form. If the pitches were spinning, plus there was helpful conditions for swing, I really don't see how 2 fast bowlers and 2 spinners would be a bad tactic.

    Really, if Tremlett isn't fit playing Monty on a turning track would not be a horrible choice ahead of Bresnan or Finn. I guess it depends on Bresnan's form and fitness, but as of right now, it wouldn't be a ridiculous call.
    Depends if we get an Oval 2009 deck again. It wouldn't matter either way because Lyon will be a lock-in for that Test anyway (and probably every Test if he bowls to his average) as opposed to us being blindsided when playing four quicks last time.

    Moreover, they only needed Swann and a magic Broad spell to dismiss a (much better) batting lineup. Reckon Monty will be kept as understudy this series.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV
    By four_or_six in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 11:11 AM
  2. Ashes Coming Home
    By SurreyFan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 06:41 AM
  3. Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends
    By The Sean in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 02:53 PM
  4. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 02:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •