Page 123 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    What RVD has chosen is what I think you will go with. On paper looks as weak a batting line up as I can ever remember from Australia, good job the game is played on grass.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Looking at those averages makes me slightly concerned that we will think about playing both Wade and Haddin in our XI.
    I don't see why that'd be so horrible.

Wade's Harold Lloyd tribute act behind the stumps has obscured the fact that he also does a passable impersonation of a test class batsman.

If the #6 spot is between Khawaja and Twatto, then Wade's hat should be in the ring too.

In fact I'd back him to score more runs there than either too; especially when the pressure of being shyte with the gauntlets (and he must be aware of what literally everyone says about his keeping) is removed. Top 7 could be something like:

Rogers
    Cowan
    Warner
    Hughes
    Clarke*
    Wade
    Haddin+

With Twatto as first reserve for a top 4 slot if/when someone pulls up lame/short of the requisite right stuff.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Bambi, what makes you think all the other positions are taken? Who has the number 4 spot sewn up (Watson's position in the last series).

If you drop Cowan which would seem drastic now, you'd have to be an Australian selector to play Watson opening ahead of Rogers, given the nature of the squad we have picked.
    Hey I'm not that mad. Clarke has 5. Hughes either has 3 or 4. Warner is one opener. Leaves 3 spots. I want to play Watson. His best spot is opener; big pads yadda yadda and all. That suits. The bloke who has to give way is Cowan. No biggy. He's done as well as can be expected. Which is a poor man's Katich. Thanks very much but he's not winning us the series so he makes way.

He can't bat in the middle order so out of the XI he goes. Rogers and Usman get the remainders. If Watson screws up Ed comes back in.

Really not keen on Warner batting three. I'm actually quite open to the idea of him sliding down to five or six but he should either bat lower middle order or open IMO; I don't think three would really suit him at all at this stage of his career.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

So many options and so many differing opinions. Brumby, I'm not surprised that you would pick Wade as you feel Khawaja's technique is shoddy, while I really rate the guy. The thing going for Wade is that he has experience batting at 6 where as all the other squad members who are picked for their batting are best suited to a position in the top 4 with the exception of Clarke who is a 5 or 4 obvs, so I guess the question has to be asked to Clarke "Who do you want to be batting with when attempting to rescue our innings"?
    Last edited by NUFAN; 12-05-2013 at 06:09 AM.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

If Clarke is saving an innings you want someone who can bat time. If no 6 stays with Clarke runs will happen. My money wouldn't be on Watson to be that guy. I would go with Usman or Rogers. I would want Rogers opening instead of Ed if he plays though. Wades batting doesn't matter if he's not keeping. It's not good enough to get him a spot in my team.

The other important thing for Clarke is which Haddin will be walking out to bat? The one who is a solid FC bat or the more recent one who throws his wicket away.

1. Rogers
    2. Warner
    3. Hughes
    4. Usman
    5. Clarke
    6. Watson

This is how I would go. Assume Clarke doesn't have to save every innings and will be there to tell Watson and Haddin to put away the silly shots and contribute. I could swap Usman to 6 but Watson at 4 has been really poor. Bat 6 and bowl or gtfo.

Wade (minus the gloves) could be a long term solution at 6. Probably the best credentialled candidate for the job we have available. If Watson isn't bowling I'd be very tempted to go with him there.

Benchmark is currently having a stroke somewhere.

International Debutant
    Just in case he is recovering I want both Haddin and Wade in the side but wade keeping wickets.

What I think the best batting order for England would be:

Cowan
    Rogers
    Hughes
    Watson (if bowling, otherwise Khawaja)
    Clarke
    Warner
    Haddin
    bowlers...

What I think the order will be:

Cowan
    Warner
    Rogers
    Hughes
    Clarke
    Watson
    Haddin
    bowlers...

Warner made his name in first class cricket batting at #6. It's actually quite a good spot for an aggressive batsman to bat at. In England, with the ball swinging I think it's a lot safer to have our best two "proven" batsmen batting 5 and 6 than having one open. Rogers and Cowan could then take the shine off the ball and so when Clarke comes in at 3/60, at least it will be 3/60 (30) instead of 3/60 (12).

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    What I think the best batting order for England would be:

Cowan
    Rogers
    Hughes
    Watson (if bowling, otherwise Khawaja)
    Clarke
    Warner
    Haddin
    bowlers...
    Big call to drop Cook.

Ah thank you.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    I'd like to change my vote to fertang, if I may.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Big call to drop Cook.

Ah thank you.
    Perhaps I should have said "for playing in England".

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Warner made his name in first class cricket batting at #6.
    He played 4 games at 6, did nothing and got dropped for a year.

It was only when he got promoted to open that he did anything with 99, 114, 47, 148 in his first 4 Shield games at opener along with 211, 48 and 82 opening for Aus A in Zimbabwe in the middle of that run. He was straight into the test side after the 148.

None of that is to say he couldn't make a decent 6, but the only name he made for himself at 6 for NSW was as a great white ball slogger who probably wasn't cut out for First Class cricket.

Personally I reckon opening is definitely his go. The hard ball, quick bowling and the field in is when he excels. Warner really struggles to get going against more defensive fields and slower bowling. It's not like he's been rubbish lately either. He had a pretty solid summer with a ton and 4 50s. He should have converted probably 2 of those 50s into big ones, but he did get us off to flying starts. Even in the Indian debacle he managed a couple of good 50s. I doubt he'd have scored them coming in at 6. He's averaged 37 since the start of SA series, which admittedly isn't too pretty until you look at the rest of the side (Cowan 35, Hughes 29, Watson 23). We have bigger problems than Warner. He should stay at opener.

Thread Information