• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
1. Rogers
2. Watson
3. Cowan
4. Hughes
5. Clarke
6. Smith
7. Haddin
8. Siddle
9. Harris
10. Pattinson
11. Lyon

Ruckus

International Captain
Sick and tired of people writing off Siddle. It's as if the blokes's consistency and durability has been twisted into a "he lacks x-factor" argument. Like averaging 26 since the last Ashes is grounds for "derp, he just runs in all day" if you haven't sprinkled it with 7-fors.

It was the same old **** before the last Ashes, and he took 6 on the opening day. Jacko can wait his turn.
It's a pretty fine line, and the attack probably wouldn't be too different if Siddle played instead, but at this stage I think out best chance is by not holding back at all with selections. It's risky to have Harris, Bird and Pattinson all in the same attack, but it's one I'd be taking given the shambolic performances we probably should expect from of our batting line-up (no matter what combination they decide on). If we are putting up totals like 200 or less, I'd much prefer seeing Jackon Bird supporting Harris/Pattinson that seeing Siddle run in. In any case Siddle hasn't been very impressive of late.

adub

International Captain
I don't have a massive problem with Harris, Pattinson, Siddle, it's just that I believe Harris, Pattinson, Bird is a bit more dangerous. Not massively so, but we ain't in a position to be giving any freebies and Bird for me offers a bit more than Sidds. Whichever way you slice it Siddle is the first change bowler, he isn't the spearhead. Solid, dependable, runs in all day yadda yadda, but not to my mind as likely to trouble England's best batsmen quite as much as Bird will.

I'm not anywhere near as concerned about Siddle v Bird debates as I am about the selectors still hanging onto the idea a left armer is needed when he isn't one of the best four quicks we have available.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Harris, Patto and Bird could win the first test for us but its a massive risk given the respective injury records.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
you could argue that Starc will give Lyon some footmarks to bowl into, but that also gives Swann some, so it's probably in our interests not to play Starc, he is a crappy bowler anyway though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't have a massive problem with Harris, Pattinson, Siddle, it's just that I believe Harris, Pattinson, Bird is a bit more dangerous. Not massively so, but we ain't in a position to be giving any freebies and Bird for me offers a bit more than Sidds. Whichever way you slice it Siddle is the first change bowler, he isn't the spearhead. Solid, dependable, runs in all day yadda yadda, but not to my mind as likely to trouble England's best batsmen quite as much as Bird will.

I'm not anywhere near as concerned about Siddle v Bird debates as I am about the selectors still hanging onto the idea a left armer is needed when he isn't one of the best four quicks we have available.
Exactly how I see it and I had this debate with NUFAN a little while back.

Speaking from an English pov I would would feel more comfortable for our bats to front Siddle over Bird. From what little I saw of Bird last summer he really looks the goods and could be a massive handful with a swinging duke. BUT, there probably isn't a great deal in it as Bird is still a bit of an unknown quantity..........Siddle is the safe bet, he won't let you down but I also don't think he'll rip through our line up. Bird is more of a calculated risk but could potentially tear as a new one.

This debate is a bit redundant anyway on 2 counts. 1) The bowling department isn't your issue and 2) Harris especially and Patto quite likely won't play all 5 tests..........all the bowlers mentioned are going to feature during the series.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Sick and tired of people writing off Siddle. It's as if the blokes's consistency and durability has been twisted into a "he lacks x-factor" argument. Like averaging 26 since the last Ashes is grounds for "derp, he just runs in all day" if you haven't sprinkled it with 7-fors.

It was the same old **** before the last Ashes, and he took 6 on the opening day. Jacko can wait his turn.
Yeah, Siddle has to be the second, if not the first, seamer on the team sheet. Probably only beaten by Patto in terms of performances in the last two years, but his durability and consistency is far greater. Also probably the only bowler in the squad who isn't dependent on getting the new cherry. Third seamer can be a mix of Harris and Bird. Lets be honest, Harris isn't going to play five tests, so Bird will still have a pretty big role to play.

Tbh though, I wouldn't be too disappointed with an attack of Pattinson, Bird and Harris. I just hope they don't, and fear they will, go with Starc.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The selectors will probably feel bad not playing Starc, especially after his boycott of the IPL season, he is pretty dangerous with the swinging ball tbf though.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
It's a pretty fine line, and the attack probably wouldn't be too different if Siddle played instead, but at this stage I think out best chance is by not holding back at all with selections. It's risky to have Harris, Bird and Pattinson all in the same attack, but it's one I'd be taking given the shambolic performances we probably should expect from of our batting line-up (no matter what combination they decide on). If we are putting up totals like 200 or less, I'd much prefer seeing Jackon Bird supporting Harris/Pattinson that seeing Siddle run in. In any case Siddle hasn't been very impressive of late.
The only bowler that enhanced their reputation in India was Patto tbf. He's the rightful spearhead, but Siddle offers the only guarantee of consistency and injury immunity among the bowlers.

If nothing else, I'd like to avoid re-living the scenario of Hauritz being dumped for Doherty on speculation and a morning net bowl-off. In the current side Sid has the most Tests under his belt apart from Haddin and Clarke, and maturity is a premium in this team.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The better comparison could be England dropping Finn for Bresnan, in that Finn didn't really put in drop-worthy performances, but there was a belief Bresnan could add a bit more

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Bresnan could bat a bit though and was largely picked for team balance in India (playing Swann and Monty without gimping the batting). Bird would bat beneath Lyon.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i am talking about that ashes series that took place here the other year. If Bird makes the team better, he makes the team better, and it's tough for the unlucky guy who misses. and if he doesn't make the team better, he misses. it's pretty simple. there's no room for "ohhhh but we wuv siddle so much he can stay in the team even if we think this guy is actually a better bowler"

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
i am talking about that ashes series that took place here the other year. If Bird makes the team better, he makes the team better, and it's tough for the unlucky guy who misses. and if he doesn't make the team better, he misses. it's pretty simple. there's no room for "ohhhh but we wuv siddle so much he can stay"
I see where you're coming from, but two Tests against the little Sri Lankans does not an Ashes certainty make.

Ruckus

International Captain
This debate is a bit redundant anyway on 2 counts. 1) The bowling department isn't your issue and 2) Harris especially and Patto quite likely won't play all 5 tests..........all the bowlers mentioned are going to feature during the series.
That's true, but given the lack of confidence the Aus team will likely have going into this series, a win in the first test will be pretty crucial to our chances imo. Really don't think we can handle being anything but frontrunners in this series.