• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
How about opening with Watson and telling him to put up or shut up.

1. Rogers
2. Watson
3. Hughes
4. Khawaja
5. Clarke
6. Smith

Then you can bring back Warner or Cowan when Watson fails. Not worried about his bowling tbh. If the top 4 bowlers dont get it done we wont win.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
How about opening with Watson and telling him to put up or shut up.

1. Rogers
2. Watson
3. Hughes
4. Khawaja
5. Clarke
6. Smith

Then you can bring back Warner or Cowan when Watson fails. Not worried about his bowling tbh. If the top 4 bowlers dont get it done we wont win.
But neither opener deserves to make way for Watson, put Rogers at 3, take out either Hughes, Khawaja or Smith and get Watson opening with Cowan, then when he fails you either bring Warner back in or get Rogers opening and one of the squad batsmen in at 6.

Tangles

But neither opener deserves to make way for Watson, put Rogers at 3, take out either Hughes, Khawaja or Smith and get Watson opening with Cowan, then when he fails you either bring Warner back in or get Rogers opening and one of the squad batsmen in at 6.
Warner is out cause he is an idiot and wont get any game time. Cowan is out cause he and Rogers are too similar and I'm not sold on Cowan at all. Neither are as good as Kat was but I dont have a time machine.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
watson
cowan
rogers
hughes
clarke
SMITTEH
rads
pattinson
harris
bird
lyon (alt. option: agar to further stack the batting)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is Cowan and Rogers being too similar a problem?
Exactly, especially given they probably won't open together...

Warner is out cause he is an idiot and wont get any game time. Cowan is out cause he and Rogers are too similar and I'm not sold on Cowan at all. Neither are as good as Kat was but I dont have a time machine.
Well I'm not sold on Watson, I would say Cowan is a better alternative regardless of style or similarities to Rogers.

Spikey

We open with Watson for culture reasons. presumably, him gagging for an opening spot like a pathetic piece of crap hasn't done wonders for team culture. If he earns it, yay he can shut up, if not we've shut him up. We can risk it for the first two tests. rogers going down one spot hardly matters. (although watson going down one spot ****ing caused world war iii so it might)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
We open with Watson for culture reasons. presumably, him gagging for an opening spot like a pathetic piece of crap hasn't done wonders for team culture. If he earns it, yay he can shut up, if not we've shut him up. We can risk it for the first two tests. rogers going down one spot hardly matters. (although watson going down one spot ****ing caused world war iii so it might)
Yeah, I agree with the batting in your side. The top four are all pretty much openers, so you might as well open with the guy who's going to sulk the most at four. Gives a left and right handed balance as well.

Tangles

Why is Cowan and Rogers being too similar a problem?
Tbh I dont want to watch either of them bat and having to watch them bat together would be awful. Plus we all know Warner will be back. So theres not room unless you shunt Rogers down the order where you wont get the same impact imo.

Ruckus

International Captain
Would go:

Watson
Rogers
Warner
Khawaja
Clarke
Hughes
Haddin
Harris
Pattinson
Bird
Lyon

Watson/Kat used to have some success, more than any other combo with Watson anyway, so I think Watson/Rogers could do alright.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tbh I dont want to watch either of them bat and having to watch them bat together would be awful. Plus we all know Warner will be back. So theres not room unless you shunt Rogers down the order where you wont get the same impact imo.
I don't want to watch either of them bat when we are playing the weaker teams but against England in English conditions having the ability to blunt the new ball is just so important, that I would enjoy it they reach a 50 partnership from 150 balls.

I named a team earlier with Watson opening, I don't think its that likely really - I guess we might know more tomorrow in the match against Somerset. I've heard that our six bowlers will each play in one of the 2 matches, but you'd think we'd play our likely batting lineup in one of the matches.

EDIT - just saw the side announced vs. Somerset in the other thread, nevermind me.

Spikey

No Cookies | The Advertiser

atson's standing in the team was not helped by rumours he intentionally alerted CA to the fact that David Warner had punched Joe Root in a bar this tour, and wanted a similar penalty to the one-match ban he copped in Mohali.

CA has strongly rejected the rumour, but has accepted the version that Watson exposed Warner by accident.

It believes Watson was in a meeting with Arthur about some of the all-rounder's "issues", and he was prepared to cop criticism as long as there was an even playing field, which obviously included the hijinks from the night before.

CA has accepted Watson thought Arthur knew about the incident - but he didn't.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't give a **** about how watchable they are, I just want them to see off Jimmy Anderson and the first hour without loss.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Watson has good reason to be pissed off about him missing a match over homework and Warner simply being banned from tour matches, particularly after the earlier twitter nonsense.

Spikey

Watson was punished by team management for breaking a team rule/team standards et al. Warner broke a CA code of conduct rule and was punished by an independent commissioner (some Honourable Justice loser). So yeah...not a surprise the punishments are on different wave-lengths.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Watson was punished by team management for breaking a team rule/team standards et al. Warner broke a CA code of conduct rule and was punished by an independent commissioner (some Honourable Justice loser). So yeah...not a surprise the punishments are on different wave-lengths.
Even so, both punishments I believe (and Watson too I guess) were disproportionate to the circumstances and the crime. But it makes sense what you pointed out.

adub

International Captain
watson
cowan
rogers
hughes
clarke
SMITTEH
rads
pattinson
harris
bird
lyon (alt. option: agar to further stack the batting)
Yeah I'd be happy with that side (keep Agar out of it for his future's sake though)