• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surely you just keep Fawad in the squad or in England, for learning purposes at the very least? Unless they've done it to make sure Lyon isn't feeling unnecessary pressure?

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ohh the folks at Harmony in Cricket are not going to be pleased about this news. I'm shocked, thought Cricket Australia would do anything in their power to get him in no matter what.

Well this whole thing has ended well hasn't it. More Cricket Australia fail.

adub

International Captain
Glad that the Oz selectors have seen sense with Ahmed - he has been given a go and hasn't performed

Also good to see Agar kept on

No desire to see him thrown to the wolves but he performs with bat and ball at virtually every opportunity so definitely should be no. 2 in the pecking order
Sad to see they acted like dopes to start with. I've got no bone against Fawad and would be delighted to see him succeed, but the poor bastard has been set up to fail. And the same **** is being heaped on Agar's plate. Agar could be anything, but please let's not destroy the kid before his 21st birthday. Leave him alone to learn his trade in the shield for a while. If he really is the one his results will show it. Same with Fawad, give him a Shield season to demonstrate what he has rather than spunking your load after 2 or 3 games.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Sad to see they acted like dopes to start with. I've got no bone against Fawad and would be delighted to see him succeed, but the poor bastard has been set up to fail. And the same **** is being heaped on Agar's plate. Agar could be anything, but please let's not destroy the kid before his 21st birthday. Leave him alone to learn his trade in the shield for a while. If he really is the one his results will show it. Same with Fawad, give him a Shield season to demonstrate what he has rather than spunking your load after 2 or 3 games.
I agree with letting Agar and Fawad having a couple of seasons in the sheild to hone their craft. If Agar really is the next big thing (as our selectors certainly believe), I don't see any problem with him going on tours and getting some good experience. Fingers crossed that he doesn't make his test debut against England though, Cook, Trott and friends would likely murder him.

As far as Ahmed goes, I think the problem is probably that he isn't THAT good. I'd like nothing more than to see him dominate the shield and be a huge success at international level, but from what we've seen he just seems like a good FC spinner (which fwiw is probably enough to make our test side).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How have they set Ahmed up to fail?

IMO, they have given him EVERY opportunity to succeed (personal coaching, Aus A selection, long spells when his bowling didn't deserve it etc)

He simply hasn't delivered in the 2 matches whilst Agar has been consistent with bat and ball

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
How have they set Ahmed up to fail?

IMO, they have given him EVERY opportunity to succeed (personal coaching, Aus A selection, long spells when his bowling didn't deserve it etc)

He simply hasn't delivered in the 2 matches whilst Agar has been consistent with bat and ball
Too much expectation. All this rushing legislation through parliament (it wouldn't have happened if CA weren't pushing hard for it) and talking him up has made him out to be the secret weapon. It was always bull****. Seems a good solid spinner, but hasn't proven jack yet. Now he has had two quiet games he's being seen as a numpty. Meanwhile Lyon must be looking over his shoulder and not feeling much love. It's fine to get guys on A tours and development programs, but they shouldn't be talked about as test selections until they've proven they can do the biz for more than half a dozen games. Fawad could be a great story if he has a strong Shield season and earns a call up, but equally he could be tragedy if he gets pushed up too soon and has a Bryce McGain.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I wonder what we can expect from the lads on the back of the coach getting the sack so close to the series? Takes the pressure of the team to be expected to win. Maybe that will help some of them perform. I'd just like to see some good cricket and the lads putting up a fight.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Given that all the events so far seem to be in Shane Watson's favour, is it fair to wonder that he might have been the instigator?

I'm thinking blackmail n00dz of Clarke or leading a players' revolt.

I hope the full story comes out soon, it's set to be incredibly entertaining.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
So on the England front it Compton is out. Not even named in the Essex squad or the press release announcing it.

Wrong decision IMO.

ajdude

International Coach
should've made cook play for essex and have Compton and root bat off

also have them opening the batting in competition for the other opening spot

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I hope Compton gets 200 against the Aussies this week.

Would prefer Compton opening with Root at 6 than Bairstow at 6 ATM.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope Compton gets 200 against the Aussies this week.

Would prefer Compton opening with Root at 6 than Bairstow at 6 ATM.
Totally agree. Don't mess with Root at this stage of his career, he needs to stay at 6 until he's an established test cricketer, I see his future as an opener but not for a couple of years.

And I'm still far more comfortable with Compton in the side than Bairstow. No doubt Nick has got to get some serious runs on the board to secure his place but I think some of the criticism coming his way may be a bit harsh. In 9 tests he's been involved in 3 100+ partnerships with Ali Cook and made 2 tons himself. I want to at least see him get the full home Ashes series without questions marks over him to see if he can establish himself against a decent attack.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Root is no better than 50/50 to succeed at opener IMO (don't like the way he treats rising balls on off stump) whilst Compton could probably be relied upon to hang around and frustrate the bowlers

Overall, not a bad result for Oz