• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Maybe hes trying to take the pressure of the batters by focusing attention on the bowling unit? I'd love a period without injuries so we could actually decide on and play our strongest 3 pace bowlers in Tests. Hasn't happened yet though.

I'd rather he just stfu and get back to coaching wins. You know the job.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Who are these bowlers??

Harris played 12 tests ave 23........Hasn't played a test match in 14 months and is likely to break down at any stage.

Bird played 2 tests ave of 16............he's played 2 test matches mate.

Patto, a whopping 10 tests to his name and an ave of 23.

So you're selling yourself short, you have 3x 23 ave and under bowlers.........a cripple and 2 noobs.

Anyone that says that bowling line up is the best in the world needs medical attention and fast.

What they are is a bowling unit with a lot of potential and one day Mickey might be able to call them the best in the world, but right now that is a ridiculous comment. They are nowhere near it until they prove themselves.over time and in a variety of conditions. Don't get me wrong, I rate them all highly but lets keep a bit of perspective here. It would be like me claiming Joe Root to be the best ODI batsmen in the world........utter crap.
Pattinson (23). Harris (23), Siddle (27), Watson (30).

As you said, if one of them breaks down, there's Starc and Bird.

It's definitely the deepest bowling attack in world cricket, if anything else.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

It needs to be........2 of the first choice are the walking wounded and Patto's injury prone himself. The only one one out of that lot you can really rely on is Piddle, and theres a dilemma in itself because I'm not even sure if he's in your best 3 (assuming you play Lyon or Ahmed) Way too much talking up of this attack for my liking......they could be absolutely brilliant in this series, I'm certainly not denying that, but they are largely unproven, especially in England in an Ashes contest.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd love a period without injuries so we could actually decide on and play our strongest 3 pace bowlers in Tests. Hasn't happened yet though.

Exactly mate. The Aussies haven't managed to put their first choice attack on the park in any test yet so how the **** do we know how good they are??

Like I said, In 2 years time you may well lay claim to having the best bowling attack but for now not a chance. It's folly to say they are up there with Steyn, Philander and Morkel......tbh I don't even think you can say they are better than ours until they've proven themselves.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Even if they live up to the hype by the coach we won't win without Clarke in god mode and we won't post competitive totals without him in normal mode. And with him at 5 a good seaming morning for England could remove the whole top order leaving him and the tail to rescue things. Not that I'd move him we just need someone in the top 4 to put their hand up.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Stop dissin our bowling Adders. There's plenty of comedy gold to be mined with our batting.
LOL, they are too easy a target.

Edit:

And just for the record I'm really not dissin them, I actually rate some of them very highly but at the moment they are just exciting prospects.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
the second spinner role is becoming more and more interesting, I really think Agar is in with a shot, but with all the politics involved you'd surely thing Fawad is being groomed for the spot. Meanwhile, Nic Maddinson is doing everything humanly possible to try and put pressure on Warner. TBH with our bowling a different outfit turns up each day, Siddle is really the only consistent performer, we just need Patto, Harris or Starc to fire at some point each match and we'll be gold.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

I presume by deep you mean they've played loads of bowlers because they are either injury prone, inconsistent, or the selectors are clueless?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd say with regards to the pace attacks, it's pretty neck and neck. Australia have the stronger pace attack, but England have the better spinner.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say with regards to the pace attacks, it's pretty neck and neck. Australia have the stronger pace attack, but England have the better spinner.
I know I keep banging on about this but I'm still not buying that.......not at this stage.

With a duke ball in English conditions we don't know what the Aussie quicks are going to deliver, but we pretty much know exactly what Englands are going to bring to the table. I also think we are holding the ace with Jimmy.

I totally accept that after these 5 tests are done I may have to revise this opinion, but at this stage as a tried and tested formula in English conditions we've got the edge. Outside the quicks Swanny definitely rounds off our bowling attack as a whole and gives us more of an advantage.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
We don't entirely know what we're getting tbh. Anderson is obviously the trump card but Broad blows hot and cold and we don't even know who's going to be the 3rd seamer yet. Finn seems to be in terrible form so I guess it'll be Bres, but it will be interesting to se what we get from him, since it would be his first test in the year.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I think it will be Bresnan and have no complaints at that. Would still quite like it to be Onions though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah well, interesting debate and not long now until these questions get answered.........17 days, 23 hours and counting:D

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at the NZ tests where two generally pace friendly wickets gave the spinners some assistance (footmarks though...) I think Swann and whoever the Aussie spinners ends up being will actually be a more important battle. So many variables to consider right now, it's hard to predict who ans what will make the difference.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Smith added to ashes squad as cover for Warner and Clarke until the 2nd test.

Fawad Ahmed returning to Australia tomorrow.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steve Smith added to ashes squad as cover for Warner and Clarke until the 2nd test.

Fawad Ahmed returning to Australia tomorrow.
Glad that the Oz selectors have seen sense with Ahmed - he has been given a go and hasn't performed

Also good to see Agar kept on

No desire to see him thrown to the wolves but he performs with bat and ball at virtually every opportunity so definitely should be no. 2 in the pecking order