Page 115 of 180 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    He's got heart and soul but not results. Look at the South Africa series, pushed himself to the limits and came out with an average of 39 or so. I like him as a cricketer but Harris, Patto, Bird are the trio to pick. I'd put him ahead of Starc and Faulkner as 4th seamer though.
    What was the average for every other bowler in the two Tests that Siddle played? I seem to remember the two Tests being batting dominant and nearly everyone competitively struggled with the ball.

Lets not forget that Siddle scored twin 50s in his last Test too. I definitely understand his primary job is bowling but that performance couldn't hurt him.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Sorry NUFAN, I reckon South has nailed it.

Siddle has an amazing work ethic and is a very likeable cricketer, but speaking from an English POV he doesn't concern me in the slightest as to what he might to do to us in this series.

We are going to pick 4 bowlers minimum, does Australia have four bowlers in the squad not named Siddle who does concern you?

I can see the theory behind picking the 3 quicks South did but Harris becomes a risk in a 3 man pace attack if Watson is not bowling. Bird has done well in his 2 Tests and Shield career but he is also returning from an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Australia Cricket News: Format changes, complacency hurt George Bailey's Ashes hopes | ESPN Cricinfo

seems weird the wrist problem he so clearly had wasn't mentioned at all...............
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    We are going to pick 4 bowlers minimum, does Australia have four bowlers in the squad not named Siddle who does concern you?
    No. You only have 3........

Yes you'll pick 4 bowlers minimum. 3 quicks a spinner and Watson if he can bowl.

Still only 3 dedicated quicks though and for my money your 3 best are Harris, Bird and Patto.

It's already been established that those 3 are very unlikely to play every test so even if Siddle doesn't start at Trent Bridge he is sure to play a big part in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    He's got heart and soul but not results. Look at the South Africa series, pushed himself to the limits and came out with an average of 39 or so. I like him as a cricketer but Harris, Patto, Bird are the trio to pick. I'd put him ahead of Starc and Faulkner as 4th seamer though.
    39 wasn't a bad average for the two games he played, remember Brisbane was flat and Adelaide too (the pitches that is). His performance in the second innings was quite special, as with the Mohali 5 for against India. He gets just as many results as other bowlers, and he gets them in conditions that don't suit him most of the time. England isn't a cakewalk for bowlers, you need someone like Siddle who will run in all day keeping his head up and searching for wickets, because he always finds them.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    Yep, no doubt about it Uvo they were three beaut balls.........how was the rest of his series???

Very next test I sat for 2 days in Adelaide watching England bat and bat and bat.......Siddle looked like he had more chance of getting frost bite than getting a wicket (it was 40 degrees both days)

0/120 if memory serves.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    the best thing about siddle's hat-trick is that he meant to bowl the hat-trick ball in a different place

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Still fairly baffled about how Bird is the next McGrath/Hadlee/Alderman after watching him beat up little Sri Lankans for two Tests (also a task not beyond Mitchell Johnson) six months ago.

Most of the time when Australia gets smashed, Siddle is comfortably the best bowler. Most notable examples are Melbourne 2008, Lord's 2009, Melbourne 2010 and Mohali 2012. IMO, what sets him apart from the rest of the team is that he's not adversely affected by how the team's going as a whole and the mental fallout that happens to everyone else - which has been exaggerated nowadays since the team either wins big or gets crushed. Don't think we've played a properly close Test match since Mohali 2010.

Bird will play some Tests, and do well, but there's no way he's going to usurp a 41-Test veteran on potential alone (see Dohertygate in the last Ashes). If he does play, it'd be in place of Harris who was probably the inspiration for informed player management.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 01-05-2013 at 05:12 AM.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    No. You only have 3........

Yes you'll pick 4 bowlers minimum. 3 quicks a spinner and Watson if he can bowl.

Still only 3 dedicated quicks though and for my money your 3 best are Harris, Bird and Patto.

It's already been established that those 3 are very unlikely to play every test so even if Siddle doesn't start at Trent Bridge he is sure to play a big part in this series.
    Its already established that your trio won't play every Test because we have Peter Siddle.

I liken Siddles situation a little with England and Broad.

One could argue that Anderson plus a fit and firing duo out of Finn, Tremlett, Onions and Bresnan should play as they are the 3 quick bowlers who will worry Australia the most.

It won't happen though as there are more pressing concerns with both teams.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Siddle WAG.

Backing him for 30 wickets in the series, now that he's been rubbished on here.

I am not a huge fan of Siddle but he is in danger of becoming very underrated

After all, he has taken 150 test wickets at 28 (compare that to Broad btw) despite bowling mainly in a crap attack

Agreed that he is not as talented as Harris, Patto, Starc or Cummins but he is a constant anyway

Anyway, if his inclusion is our biggest concern then things are looking good for Australia

I think Siddle having a lot of his best performances in losing sides has led to a bit of that. Or he's taken poles at home against sides that we'd have probably beaten anyway. Played a lot of second fiddle to other guys in other Tests, when they've taken the plaudits (and deservedly so).

Thread Information