• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Flem274*

123/5
Has the idea of telling Watson to try and be the heroic hitter allrounder in the Cairns, Flintoff, Oram mould been floated? He looks much more comfortable with a license to play technically correct strokes and booms in ODIs than he does trying to play properly in tests. Put him at six in the warm ups and see how it goes imo.

I agree with those saying Bailey or Smith wouldn't be the worst additions to the main side either. A lot has been made of Smith's technique (lack of it) but if they cbf experimenting with Twatto then he should be in the running for number six since he actually scores runs in the whites at some level...

Khawaja is ****. He's Daniel Flynn minus patience and balls, and if he's going to play with no front foot offside scoring options and a glaring technical weakness out there to boot, then he needs both, and we all know what a good average his kiwi clone has so....

I dunno, just throwing **** out there really.

Warner/Rogers (scandal dependent)
Cowan
Hughes
Bailey
Clarke
Watson/Smith
Haddin

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Compton must be loving England going further in the CT. The longer Bairstow is stuck with the England ODI team doing nothing the better for Compton. 4 day Yorkshire game starts the day after the 2nd semi final and then the t20 starts. England make the final of the CT and Bairstow has no fc games before the first test. There is the England v Essex game but England will have to choose between Compton or Bairstow at that point. Compton has two more first class games in the meantime. So chances are Compton will start the first test imo.

There really isn't much opportunity for any of the England guys to get much first class cricket - just the England Essex game. Thinking about it if you really wanted some drama Cook could play for Essex during that game and stick both Compton and Bairstow into the England team. Of course that leaves Root without any practice at the top of the order before the test which would be tough if he then had to go and open. So they probably won't go down that route.

Finn is another who could do with some cricket. He might have to play for Somerset or Worcestershire(runs concurrent to the esseng game) in the tour match against Aus.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
But if Cook plays for Essex then a spot will be made to open in the England side, so Root can do it with Compton. Unless I'm missing something?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
doh. you're right. Still I think England will have to make their mind up on their team prior to the essex game. Don't really want Root to be moving up and down the order with no idea about what is coming next.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably, although Andy Flower hardly gave him a complete vote of confidence after the last test.

I wonder what the situation is regarding Finn and Bresnan now though, it would seem mighty strange that Finn would be getting in the test side and no the ODI side.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they'll just stick with Compton. It's the media that are suggesting otherwise, not the England camp.
Yeah, I'm comfortable with Compton there for the rest of the summer. He needs to get some runs on the board for sure and no doubt the Aussies will be looking at him as the weak link, but he's done enough for mine not to be dropped at this stage.

Last thing we want to do is **** about with Root, I'm sure one day he will open the batting for England, but for now he should be cutting his teeth at test level exactly where he is.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would think it possible and more likely that Pietersen plays for Essex as he'd get better bowling to face and that means Bairstow and Compton get a game so if KP is unfit just before the game they all have had match practice. Strauss did similar for Somerset so why not one of the others?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't there a case of the England camp forcing a player (Bopara?) to be loaned to play for another one in order to get a warm up game? Same thing could happen here could it not?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
In 2011 Struass represented Somerset to play against India in their tour match. I think that's what you're thinking about.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now we're out of the CT, do the test players join the A squad for some FC warm up games? Be handy for them tstl.