Page 108 of 180 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

  1. #1606
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,400
    Bird gonna tear it up over there if he's picked. Deadset perfect method for England.

    The new McGrath

    #nopressure
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  2. #1607
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,945
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    The last two years, Haddin's batting went to the dogs

    See Stats guru
    Does your computer not let you look at Watson's statsguru or something?

  3. #1608
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,481
    I think Rogers is an excellent inclusion and for my money should have been included on a consistent basis years ago. He is a proper opener that has the ability to bat long and go big. Watson's flashy half-centuries at the top may have been aesthetically eye catching but won few Tests for his side, despite being very consistent for much of his time up there.

    Rogers will graft his way to big scores, just cannot believe he has been given an extended run in the side in the last few years. Think England will find him a more obdurate opponent than any of Warner, Cowan, Watson, Hughes, etc.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

  4. #1609
    International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    I think Rogers is an excellent inclusion and for my money should have been included on a consistent basis years ago. He is a proper opener that has the ability to bat long and go big. Watson's flashy half-centuries at the top may have been aesthetically eye catching but won few Tests for his side, despite being very consistent for much of his time up there.

    Rogers will graft his way to big scores, just cannot believe he has been given an extended run in the side in the last few years. Think England will find him a more obdurate opponent than any of Warner, Cowan, Watson, Hughes, etc.
    Where would you bat him / who would he replace?


  5. #1610
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Where would you bat him / who would he replace?
    I don't agree with finding a spot in the middle order for him, not saying it wouldn't work and that he couldn't score runs there, I just think he's best suited right at the top where he can build an innings, is fully aware of the kind of challenges he'd face against the new ball in English conditions, and has got through those tests on several occasions. We are of course talking about him playing at another level here, but I'm pretty convinced he has the game to be a real thorn in England's side.

    As for who he could replace, I wouldn't disagree with any of them, but probably alongside Cowan with Warner coming in at three or further down the order.

  6. #1611
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,061
    Might get a bit stodgy with Rogers and Cowan opening. I see him as probably replacing Cowan as a 32 ave hardly demands tenure does it?

    Again lets not get carried away with our pace attack. Yes potential but they are injury prone. It might be we need everyone of them and a fly over replacement by the time the last test is finished. England's attack is better settled and more accomplished than ours. Plus they have the shadow of Tremlett looming. Our boys aren't that good yet.

    While Burgey's politics is demonstrably toilet I agree with him about Bird. I have the sort of warm feelings for him over there as I did for Alderman in 81. He could be our surprise for England. Ironically he is low in the pecking order atm and I'd go in with 4 pace men for the 1st test. Pattinson, Starc, Siddle and Harris being preferred. I've been hearing the 1st test pitch favours pace so I'll go along with that. If anyone has to go out for Bird from then on I'd bench Siddle or Starc though Harris getting injured is a more likely scenario. Or even Patpat.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 24-04-2013 at 04:21 PM.

  7. #1612
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Might get a bit stodgy with Rogers and Cowan opening. I see him as probably replacing Cowan as a 32 ave hardly demands tenure does it?

    Again lets not get carried away with our pace attack. Yes potential but they are injury prone. It might be we need everyone of them and a fly over replacement by the time the last test is finished. England's attack is better settled and more accomplished than ours. Plus they have the shadow of Tremlett looming. Our boys aren't that good yet.

    While Burgey's politics is demonstrably toilet I agree with him about Bird. I have the sort of warm feelings for him over there as I did for Alderman in 81. He could be our surprise for England. Ironically he is low in the pecking order atm and I'd go in with 4 pace men for the 1st test. Pattinson, Starc, Siddle and Harris being preferred. I've been hearing the 1st test pitch favours pace so I'll go along with that. If anyone has to go out for Bird from then on I'd bench Siddle or Starc though Harris getting injured is a more likely scenario. Or even Patpat.
    I'm not suggesting England should be used as a template for success at the top of the order, but Strauss, Cook, Trott and now Compton are hardly guys to take the game to an attack. In English conditions I don't think a careful and watchful opening pair is necessarily a bad thing, and you can be sure if Rogers does get through those testing early overs he has the capability to bat for a very long time.

  8. #1613
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,713
    in a four man pace attack for the 1st test i'd have harris, pattinson, bird and starc
    in a three man i'd go harris pattinson siddle with lyon
    they will all get a go across the five tests, even injuries in the trial matches wouldn't surprise anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  9. #1614
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    It baffles me how someone like Starc consistently manages to rate amongst much better bowlers. There's not that much to separate Starc from Pattinson and Bird? Really? What has Starc actually done of note in his test career so far? He's bowled a few jaffas, with a lot of junk in between. He has a bowling average of 34, and frankly I think that's a pretty accurate picture of how he has bowled so far in the opportunities he has been given. We all know the caliber of bowler Pattinson already is, and, small number of matches aside, Bird has looked far more the part than Starc.
    Yep clearly No.5 in our squad for mine. Has that beautiful inswinging yorker that gets everyone's hearts racing and makes him such a threat in the white ball stuff. But apart from a couple of overs with the (generally second) new ball he doesn't really do enough over and above that to trouble good bats. LA variety etc is over-rated, team balance only comes into it when you're picking between roughly equivalent options. 4 RA quicks worked fine for Lloyd and Richards' teams and if our three best bowlers are RAF then that's what we should pick. No problems with Starc coming in if we have a couple of injuries, but he's not one of the best four Test quicks in the squad and should be there for back up and development only.

    Like others Bird is the guy that excites me. His accuracy can help wickets fall at the other end as well as picking up plenty himself. I know it's unlikely, but I'd love to see him starting in front of Siddle.

  10. #1615
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,806
    Best squad we could have hoped for IMO. Excellent job. Wade out as keeper. Johnson left back in Australia. No Maxwell and a serious bowling attack!
    Last edited by GotSpin; 24-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  11. #1616
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    I'm not suggesting England should be used as a template for success at the top of the order, but Strauss, Cook, Trott and now Compton are hardly guys to take the game to an attack. In English conditions I don't think a careful and watchful opening pair is necessarily a bad thing, and you can be sure if Rogers does get through those testing early overs he has the capability to bat for a very long time.
    That's why I think he'd be brilliant at 3 for us. Warner getting a push on early is a massive boost for us when it comes off so I'd stick with that. He can dominate an attack right from the get go better than anyone else in our side including Clarke. Cowan and him have a bit of a thing going so he holds his place too. Cowan needs to go on with it more often, but the partnership is worth perservering with for a bit longer.

    Rogers at 3 means if Warner does go cheaply you've got the careful watchful guy experienced against the new ball to come in to reduce the chances of one wicket becoming a collapse. If Cowan goes early it's a like for like. He's clearly good enough to make a big score coming in at 1/100 as well so he could tick a lot of boxes in a way that Hughes hasn't been able to do enough at Test level yet.

  12. #1617
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,061
    I had a wistful thought last night that Rogers would somehow get in the team and prove as big a nuisance to them as Trott was to us when picked.

  13. #1618
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,803
    I think Rogers will bat at first drop, and that they prefer Usman over Smith and Hughes in seaming conditions (they really rated his knock at Bellerive this Summer, and the fact that the Gabba is his home ground) - making the order for the 1st Test as follows:

    Cowan
    Warner
    Rogers
    Watson
    Clarke
    Usman
    Haddin

    Moreover, given Hughes' modest record, I think it's tiime Usman is given a shot.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

    - Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

  14. #1619
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,806
    Lyon has probably been celebrating all night

  15. #1620
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,803
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    Lyon has probably been celebrating all night
    Yeah getting out of SA must be great



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV
    By four_or_six in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 10:11 AM
  2. Ashes Coming Home
    By SurreyFan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 05:41 AM
  3. Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends
    By The Sean in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  4. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •