• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The biggest issue (which no one at Cricket Australia seems to want to talk about) is that Australian kids are turning away from the game. CA released a report recently that took great liberty in fudging junior participation numbers; it's as if they think telling people it's booming will make it boom - never mind that no one is listening. American sports (particularly the NBA) and "extreme" sports are catching on in a big way, and Aussie Rules has devoured the nation's sporting talent. If you can imagine a sport with soccer's draw in England, but that demands every type of athlete you can think of, and will offer them big dollars to walk away from their sport having never kicked an aussie rules ball, you have the challenge CA faces. And they don't seem to have the faintest idea what to do about it.

The profile of the Australian sportsperson is changing dramatically. I increasingly wonder how much relevance the ashes will hold in Australian culture in say, 20 years.
You're kidding yourself.

The whole reason the BBL was brought forward was because of a decline in junior participation levels, e.g. In2Cricket was down in most states. Getting greater participation is basically the key driver of their investments outside of the elite level. They aren't going to come out and announce that there is less people playing cricket, because it's terrible PR and begins a self-fulfilling cycle.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're kidding yourself.

The whole reason the BBL was brought forward was because of a decline in junior participation levels, e.g. In2Cricket was down in most states. Getting greater participation is basically the key driver of their investments outside of the elite level. They aren't going to come out and announce that there is less people playing cricket, because it's terrible PR and begins a self-fulfilling cycle.
In the Gulf, there are about 50,000 Aussie expats

AFL sponsors Auskick (plus jerseys, balls, camps, teams come here to play, etc), ARU sponsors camps (same thing), Surf Life Saving Australia puts on Little Nippers

Even the NRL holds meet and greets where kids get to meet their heroes, autographs, giveaways, blah blah

Cricket does NOTHING

If they treat other areas like the Gulf, it's little wonder that kids are going elsewhere

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
**** no. adders has brought this goober no doubt. everything tassie. why adders???
Can promise you it is nothing to do with me, I left WP largely because of him........not the first time he's followed me onto a forum, ****ing creepy to be honest.

Apologies all around forum.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the Gulf, there are about 50,000 Aussie expats

AFL sponsors Auskick (plus jerseys, balls, camps, teams come here to play, etc), ARU sponsors camps (same thing), Surf Life Saving Australia puts on Little Nippers

Even the NRL holds meet and greets where kids get to meet their heroes, autographs, giveaways, blah blah

Cricket does NOTHING

If they treat other areas like the Gulf, it's little wonder that kids are going elsewhere
The Australian cricket team is the least accessible major sporting team in the country by far. Afaik they do little if any fan interaction as a group. I know it's difficult logistically, but it would be a good thing if CA got them into the home Test cities even one day earlier and they held meet and greets or some such thing. I've banged on about this before, it's a joke how they turn kids away from watching them practice and close training sessions - as though a kid standing behind the nets might be some sort of problem for them. It's not footy - they aren't putting together set moves they don't want the media or opposition to see. One bloke bats and others have a bowl ffs.

social

The Australian cricket team is the least accessible major sporting team in the country by far. Afaik they do little if any fan interaction as a group. I know it's difficult logistically, but it would be a good thing if CA got them into the home Test cities even one day earlier and they held meet and greets or some such thing. I've banged on about this before, it's a joke how they turn kids away from watching them practice and close training sessions - as though a kid standing behind the nets might be some sort of problem for them. It's not footy - they aren't putting together set moves they don't want the media or opposition to see. One bloke bats and others have a bowl ffs.
You're kidding!

My dad used to take me down to the SCG for net sessions the day before a test to watch them practice

Players were always available to chat and I even bowled in the nets a couple of times as a youngster plus I have a couple of bats full of signatures at home somewhere

Then again, 2013 Australia are sooooooooooooooooo much better than the Chappells, Lillee etc so I can understand why they don't do it

U19 12th Man
You're kidding yourself.

I'm sure it is - but they're failing, and little response to that is evident.

Last edited:

U19 12th Man
"it's not footy" is an interesting point to bring up, when footy players are as ridiculously accessible as they are. Doesn't cast our cricketers in a flattering light, that's for sure.

social

"it's not footy" is an interesting point to bring up, when footy players are as ridiculously accessible as they are. Doesn't cast our cricketers in a flattering light, that's for sure.
Good mate of mine is the father of a world famous sportsman

My 7 year old son is clueless about the future like most kids of his age but loves running around and dreams of playing sport for a living as that = no school/all play

Anyway, I got my friend to have his son send my 7 year old son some stuff for his birthday

Q: Is my son addicted to cricket or the sport my friend's son plays?

If CA doesn't get this then .......

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You're kidding!

My dad used to take me down to the SCG for net sessions the day before a test to watch them practice

Players were always available to chat and I even bowled in the nets a couple of times as a youngster plus I have a couple of bats full of signatures at home somewhere

Then again, 2013 Australia are sooooooooooooooooo much better than the Chappells, Lillee etc so I can understand why they don't do it
IIRC Burgey had a moan the last time India toured because he took his kids to the SCG nets and they got to see **** all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're kidding!

One session is open to watch before a test match in Sydney, and you get a shot at autographs from the players from behind the temporary fence which has been put up as they walk back to the sheds from the nets. I took the young bloke two days before the last India test and we got turned away - "closed session", and had to come back to the optional session the next day at which only about half the players were present.