• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Amit Mishra came to England and took 3 wickets at 107. You do actually have to be decent.
He also bowled flat, arse, gash.

The guy that bowled in England was far removed from the guy who we'd seen in India. Forget conditions, had nothing to do with the pitch, how the ball got there was like watching a 90km/h medium pacer, not someone who got the ball to dip and drift.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was going to say its sad to see Australia reduced to this, then I pictured Burgey and uve crying as we rolled to a whitewash. It's not sad at all.

U19 12th Man
Were I to be Australian that would sum up my opinion perfectly
The biggest issue (which no one at Cricket Australia seems to want to talk about) is that Australian kids are turning away from the game. CA released a report recently that took great liberty in fudging junior participation numbers; it's as if they think telling people it's booming will make it boom - never mind that no one is listening. American sports (particularly the NBA) and "extreme" sports are catching on in a big way, and Aussie Rules has devoured the nation's sporting talent. If you can imagine a sport with soccer's draw in England, but that demands every type of athlete you can think of, and will offer them big dollars to walk away from their sport having never kicked an aussie rules ball, you have the challenge CA faces. And they don't seem to have the faintest idea what to do about it.

The profile of the Australian sportsperson is changing dramatically. I increasingly wonder how much relevance the ashes will hold in Australian culture in say, 20 years.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes. I would think he would be. It would only be a Pom who'd take some sort of perverse delight at an injury to an opposing player.

flibbertyjibber

Not taking delight in anything, hope he's fit or this will be an even more boring one sided summer than it would be if he played.

flibbertyjibber

Reckon he will play a game or 2 even if crocked (which he undoubtedly is as he hasn't played since March and is still in doctor's hands)
I think so too but remembering back (bad pun) to when Thorpe and Atherton played when they shouldn't it a disaster waiting to happen. Doubt he'll play much after the home world cup if his problem is as bad as it seems now. Hope for crickets sake it just a temporary blip but history tells us those with a serious problem leave the game much earlier which would be a real shame as he is a fantastic player.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think so too but remembering back (bad pun) to when Thorpe and Atherton played when they shouldn't it a disaster waiting to happen. Doubt he'll play much after the home world cup if his problem is as bad as it seems now. Hope for crickets sake it just a temporary blip but history tells us those with a serious problem leave the game much earlier which would be a real shame as he is a fantastic player.
It's not a temporary problem - it has existed for years and there is nothing they can do about it

My gut feel is that he will attempt to play and then fly home early

Hope I am wrong but there isn't much positive news coming out about it at present

Similar situation with KP - if there was hope, he'd be scheduled to have a game by now

Given that it is delay, delay, delay, it doesn't look good

flibbertyjibber

I'm sure they said on TMS during the NZ series that KP was set to return for the Yorkshire match in about 10 days from now. Proof will be in the pudding I guess.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KP seemed quite annoyed at an article saying he was about to play soon awhile back, not sure why. TBH I'm not that bothered we'll crush them anyway.