• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, not disputing that and have argued that myself - but he's a lower-tier threat for mine.

Ruckus

International Captain
England still favorites for the next Ashes, despite the recent changes, but the margin of difference between the sides is definitely starting to close in. Can only be a good thing for the game though, especially seeing as though the series' are back to back.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England still favorites for the next Ashes, despite the recent changes, but the margin of difference between the sides is definitely starting to close in. Can only be a good thing for the game though, especially seeing as though the series' are back to back.
Nah, I was pretty happy with how things panned out last time around.

But yes, 2013's looking too close to call right now. Especially when you factor in the decline in Cook, Bell & Trott's form since the last Ashes.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Everyone goes through ups and downs its not like the Aussies batting line-up is likely to be much cp aside from Clarke over here.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope its a really close series, and can sense it being so. I mean the closeness of the last Ashes was masked by those last two games; before that it was incredibly close. Can you imagine if that had been a 3 Test series? Crikey. But the teams are probably more evenly matched now. Cook, Trott and Bell were pretty much at their peaks, Clarke and Ponting pretty much at all time lows. More pronounced is the bowling. I'm not sure Australia's could have been any worse last time out, so I expect a big improvement there, and I'm not sure ours could have been much better. Once again it just looks very evenly matched. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Faizal Khan

Banned
I hope its a really close series, and can sense it being so. I mean the closeness of the last Ashes was masked by those last two games; before that it was incredibly close. Can you imagine if that had been a 3 Test series? Crikey. But the teams are probably more evenly matched now. Cook, Trott and Bell were pretty much at their peaks, Clarke and Ponting pretty much at all time lows. More pronounced is the bowling. I'm not sure Australia's could have been any worse last time out, so I expect a big improvement there, and I'm not sure ours could have been much better. Once again it just looks very evenly matched. Can't wait.
I doubt Ponting will even play the next Ashes. He has a SA home series against Steyn,Morkel,Philander and an away tour to India where he has struggled.

For him to still remain in the team will require him to have a crazy resurgence or for the other contenders to be so bad that he'll still retain his position.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt Ponting will even play the next Ashes. He has a SA home series against Steyn,Morkel,Philander and an away tour to India where he has struggled.

For him to still remain in the team will require him to have a crazy resurgence or for the other contenders to be so bad that he'll still retain his position.
I believe Punter's autobiography is due soon so I'm assuming there'll be a retirement announcement timed to boost sales over Chrimbo

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really. It only requires him to play well enough to keep his place, which you wouldn't say is beyond the reach of one of our generation's greatest bastmen. Its not like anyone has been knocking the door down demanding selection. Can't see him retiring so close to an Ashes series, although Strauss has done it so you can't be certain.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Ponting has averaged 40 or 50 odd in his last two tours of India, hasn't he?

Ruckus

International Captain
Well, that's the thing...we don't really have many any other contenders, and the ones we do probably wouldn't do much better than Ponting. He has had somewhat of a resurgence in recent times, and needs to be given more leeway because of that, but I'm still not convinced he is anywhere near back to his best. I used to want Ponting out of the side if he continued his slump, but I really just overestimated the batting stocks we had at the time. They are poor, there's no denying that, and even if Ponting can only average around 35-40, it will probably be good enough to keep him in the team for the time being. Also don't think the tour of India coming up will be a problem at all. If anything during his slump he has seemed more comfortable against spin than pace.