Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 50 of 50

Thread: Collingwood retires from test cricket

  1. #46
    School Boy/Girl Captain Tom 1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    192
    I'm not going to put him in the Steve Waugh bracket, but there were some similarities insofar as Collingwood knew his limitations and batted accordingly and like Waugh, was tough as nails and pretty good in a ruck.

    As an aside, he was a wonderful fielder/catcher behind the wicket.

  2. #47
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,431
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    England - with a long term view - would've liked to have seen Bopara be the first man in line, to help out with a bit of fifth bowling duties.

    Do you think we'll see the ball being thrown to Trott, or Bell, first?
    James Taylor bowls a bit of leg-spin. Just saying...

    Actually, the best bowler of the options to come in at #6 is that Notts trencherman Sammy Patel, but he's a way back in the queue now. Even leaving aside his weight/fitness probs he's had two ordinary seasons on the bounce now.
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  3. #48
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,668
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    James Taylor bowls a bit of leg-spin. Just saying...

    Actually, the best bowler of the options to come in at #6 is that Notts trencherman Sammy Patel, but he's a way back in the queue now. Even leaving aside his weight/fitness probs he's had two ordinary seasons on the bounce now.
    I think the days where he'd balance the side particularly well are gone now, anyway. Yeah, he'd offer a fifth bowling option if he batted six, but when England had Flintoff, were carrying Panesar and were struggling to find a player who could keep to a decent standard and bat in the top seven, I really favoured:

    6 Patel
    7 Flintoff
    8 Foster/Read
    9 -11 quicks, or Monty if conditions really suited

    The emergence of Swann and Prior and the retirement of Flintoff makes him a much less attractive option now, not to mention the fact that, as you said, he hasn't scored any runs in two years.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 06-01-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    ~ Cribbage

  4. #49
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I think the days where he'd balance the side particularly well are gone now, anyway. Yeah, he'd offer a fifth bowling option if he batted six, but when England had Flintoff, were carrying Panesar and were struggling to find a player who could keep to a decent standard and bat in the top seven, I really favoured:

    6 Patel
    7 Flintoff
    8 Foster/Read
    9 -11 quicks, or Monty if conditions really suited

    The emergence of Swann and Prior and the retirement of Flintoff makes him a much less attractive option now, not to mention the fact that, as you said, he hasn't scored any runs in two years.
    He'd certainly balance the team coach on sharp turns, TBH.


  5. #50
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    He'd certainly balance the team coach on sharp turns, TBH.
    Yeah, but the plane coming over would be a nightmare. He'd have to sit in the aisle.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Which was the best decade of the twentieth century?
    By cover drive man in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 03:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •