Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collingwood retires from test cricket

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Who do Engerland play next?
    Sri Lanka in England I think.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Please pick Bopara and play him against India at Lord's.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Who do Engerland play next?
    Sri Lanka in May.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Yeah am pretty confident it would be - would pick Taylor if it was up to me however.
    The fact that there'a a World Cup before their next series, in which Morgan will probably go well, really clinches it IMO. Morgan could blow it and fail in the World Cup but I think the conditions will suit him and he'll go well there. Still wouldn't pick him in Tests yet, but I'm fairly confident that's what'll happen.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    England - with a long term view - would've liked to have seen Bopara be the first man in line, to help out with a bit of fifth bowling duties.

Do you think we'll see the ball being thrown to Trott, or Bell, first?
    I read somewhere a while back that Bell ahs given up bowling. It will be Trott.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    I will miss his freakish fielding for sure....amazing player..
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    In a better place as a team to bring someone new in though than Australia. We aren't under pressure to get it right straight away with who comes in so can give the player who does come in a proper chance and not just a game or two.

I think it will be Morgan though i wouldn't be too upset if Broad came in for him and Prior and Bresnan just shuffled up the order. That would give us a very good 5 man attack and plenty of batting down to Swann at 9.
    Yeah, this. The fact that Collingwood has only scored 83 runs in the series has barely registered in most quarters. It simply hasn't been an issue.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    If you have nothing else to do, have a browse over an article I did on Colly when he reached 50 Test caps during the Ashes series in 2009. It explains in full what Colly has meant to me over the years.

Cricket Web - Features: 50 Caps for Colly!

As for his replacement, the ones in the frame, you'd think, are Morgan, Bopara and Hildreth, and these are three pretty good options to have, each one bringing their own qualities to the table. What will be interesting to me is whether Bopara and Morgan go to the IPL. Personally if I was them I would sacrifice a season in the IPL to try and get some early season County form. I'm not sure when the IPL runs from and to this year, but last year those that participated missed a fair chunk of the County Championship season, don't think they can afford to do that if they want to put a marker down on this new vacancy in the England Test side.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    If you have nothing else to do, have a browse over an article I did on Colly when he reached 50 Test caps during the Ashes series in 2009. It explains in full what Colly has meant to me over the years.

Cricket Web - Features: 50 Caps for Colly!

As for his replacement, the ones in the frame, you'd think, are Morgan, Bopara and Hildreth, and these are three pretty good options to have, each one bringing their own qualities to the table. What will be interesting to me is whether Bopara and Morgan go to the IPL. Personally if I was them I would sacrifice a season in the IPL to try and get some early season County form. I'm not sure when the IPL runs from and to this year, but last year those that participated missed a fair chunk of the County Championship season, don't think they can afford to do that if they want to put a marker down on this new vacancy in the England Test side.
    To be fair, Bopara is at least getting First Class games for England Lions, who are playing in the West Indies domestic competition.

I'm pretty sure that if Morgan opts to play IPL his next First Class game would be the 1st Test vs Sri Lanka. If he goes and plays IPL he should be ruling himself out of Test contention.

vcs
    Not the most naturally talented batsman but had an invaluable knack of playing crucial knocks under pressure, like Laxman. Will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    To be fair, Bopara is at least getting First Class games for England Lions, who are playing in the West Indies domestic competition.

I'm pretty sure that if Morgan opts to play IPL his next First Class game would be the 1st Test vs Sri Lanka. If he goes and plays IPL he should be ruling himself out of Test contention.
    True with Bopara, but still don't think he should be going to the IPL and then hope he can come back and land his place in the Test side, it depends how much it means to him to play Test cricket again. Once established in the Test side he can go and earn his dollars in the IPL.

Morgan should want to give himself the best chance to succeed in Test cricket as immediately as possible. It shouldn't be down to the ECB to advise these guys what to do, they should take it upon themselves and pull out of the IPL.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Point about Collingwood..

People always say that he wasn't the most talented of batsman, but he made the most of what he had ect. I actually disagree very strongly; I think that Collingwood was limited by his technique, rather than his 'talent'. He has incredible hand eye co-ordination and excellent reaction times and had he had a better technique, he really could have been very good. Just my to cents.

But yeah, WAFG, absolute hero of a bloke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post

People always say that he wasn't the most talented of batsman, but he made the most of what he had ect. I actually disagree very strongly; I think that Collingwood was limited by his technique, rather than his 'talent'. He has incredible hand eye co-ordination and excellent reaction times and had he had a better technique, he really could have been very good. Just my to cents.

Yep, couldn't agree more.

He made the most of his technique and overall quality of his batsmanship with his temperament and fighting qualities, but his actual talent was IMO somewhat wasted by his technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yep, couldn't agree more.

He made the most of his technique and overall quality of his batsmanship with his temperament and fighting qualities, but his actual talent was IMO somewhat wasted by his technique.
    Not sure I entirely agree with this, though you raise some good points. Ultimately it was his technique that let him down, especially when he was out of form, but I question whether he had the talent and natural ability to be able to put this right and perhaps make some serious changes if they were required.

As it was he persevered with his technique, making the absolute most of the tools he had, and imo did an excellent job of it.

Would a naturally talented batsman have the ability to try various things, and be successful at them, then decide what's the best way forward ? Not sure, just wondering what people's take on this is. Think Collingwood was pretty one-dimensional within his technique, and really over-achieved in his career. What he lacked in technique he made up for by being smart with his cricket and working exceptionally hard.

He was certainly very gifted in certain areas, as you say hand-eye co-ordination and his reactions, but overall would have to say there are many more naturally talented players around.
    Last edited by Woodster; 06-01-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Very true. People too often say "talent" when they mean "style" or some such.

Being such a top cricketer despite his lack of stylishness and technique is a talent if you ask me, and a very rare talent at that.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information