Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 90

Thread: 2010/11 Ashes XI

  1. #61
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,583
    Not a whole lot of chances tbf.

    didn't say there was a huge gap, just enough to bridge the gap between their batting - which I don't think is enormous.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    forever 63*

  2. #62
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,380
    Would have Johnson in ahead of Swann, frankly. Yeah Swann was the best spinner in the side, but he's hardly done that much. It's a personal thing of course, but I would like to see Johnson operate in that 3rd-4th quick role behind two blokes bowling well, rather than trying to lead the attack.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  3. #63
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,555
    I think Swann's been serviceable rather than super, but he's played a big holding role down one end whilst still applying pressure, which is more than you can say for pretty much all of our quicks. He's probably still going to average better than Johnson for the series, and he's been a massive partnership bowler for them.

    Especially with Watson missing out on the team, you need him being able to churn through large numbers of overs down one end into the breeze.

  4. #64
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,380
    Yeah fair points. He keeps the overs ticking by too.


  5. #65
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Would have Johnson in ahead of Swann, frankly. Yeah Swann was the best spinner in the side, but he's hardly done that much. It's a personal thing of course, but I would like to see Johnson operate in that 3rd-4th quick role behind two blokes bowling well, rather than trying to lead the attack.
    There's not much of a difference between them, they've each bowled their side to victory in one Test and been fairly innocous for the series, if Swann snares a couple tomorrow then they'll end up with pretty similar series figures.

    The crucial difference between them IMO is that when conditions haven't been in Swann's favour he's held up an end and built pressure by bowling pots of overs economically whilst prising out key wickets at key times. Outwith Perth, Johnson has bowled rubbish.

    edit: or, basically, what Jack said.
    Last edited by Furball; 06-01-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    ​63*

  6. #66
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    There's not much of a difference between them, they've each bowled their side to victory in one Test and been fairly innocous for the series, if Swann snares a couple tomorrow then they'll end up with pretty similar series figures.

    The crucial difference between them IMO is that when conditions haven't been in Swann's favour he's held up an end and built pressure by bowling pots of overs economically whilst prising out key wickets at key times. Outwith Perth, Johnson has bowled rubbish.

    edit: or, basically, what Jack said.
    Economy rates:

    Swann - 2.7
    Johnson - 4.1

  7. #67
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,467
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Economy rates:

    Swann - 2.7
    Johnson - 4.1
    Which I pointed out in my 2nd paragraph. In terms of 5fors, matchwinnimg performances, wickets taken and average they're both pretty similar.

  8. #68
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Which I pointed out in my 2nd paragraph. In terms of 5fors, matchwinnimg performances, wickets taken and average they're both pretty similar.
    Except Johnson's had matchlosing performances too. Plus he was dropped for the pitch he'd probably have gone worst on.

  9. #69
    International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    4,222
    Strauss *
    Cook
    Trott
    Pietersen
    Hussey
    Bell
    Prior Ü
    Swann
    Siddle
    Tremlett
    Anderson

  10. #70
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,786
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Except Johnson's had matchlosing performances too. Plus he was dropped for the pitch he'd probably have gone worst on.
    Or was he rested?

    I think that you have to compare the players based on their roles in the side, and so you can't really compare Swann's holding role and partnership bowling to Johnson's mercurial strike bowler role. Tremlett and Anderson have been the best aggressors by far.

    So while I would hear an argument regarding Siddle in the side ahead of Swann I wouldn't take Johnson. Bresnan would get in but questions remain over whether he could have done better all series.

    For similar reasons, you have to compare Strauss to Ponting and not Watson, and you would go with the better captain's performance.

    Prior vs Haddin is closer. Keeping was fairly even - both missed simple chances - though Prior's footwork has really improved. I wouldn't mind either being picked, Haddin for being tough at the start of the series or Prior pushing the advantage at the end. I'd take Haddin for batting against the better attack.

    Strauss (c), Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Hussey, Bell, Haddin, Swann, Siddle/Bresnan, Tremlett, Anderson.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

  11. #71
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,995
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Watson out, unless you want half the batting order run out.
    Yeah fair point. But he's scored more runs than Strauss and his bowling is very very handy.

  12. #72
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,467
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Yeah fair point. But he's scored more runs than Strauss and his bowling is very very handy.
    He's also had 3 more innings than Strauss in which to bat, his bowling has largely been innocuous and wouldn't be needed in England's side (and this isn't really an Ashes XI, it's a "which Australians would get a game for England" side), and he's played no innings of any real substancein the series, save maybe for his 95 at Perth if you're being generous. Strauss on the other hand has hit a 2nd innings ton to help save a Test in Brisbane and 1st innings 50s at Melbourne and Sydney to help put England in a position to win both Tests.

  13. #73
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,381
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I think Swann's been serviceable rather than super, but he's played a big holding role down one end whilst still applying pressure, which is more than you can say for pretty much all of our quicks. He's probably still going to average better than Johnson for the series, and he's been a massive partnership bowler for them.

    Especially with Watson missing out on the team, you need him being able to churn through large numbers of overs down one end into the breeze.
    Agree with all of this except Swann is averaging quite a few higher IIRC
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  14. #74
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,786
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Agree with all of this except Swann is averaging quite a few higher IIRC
    Johnson 37, Swann 42. But it's not all about stats.

  15. #75
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,381
    Yep, hence why I said I agreed with everything else he said

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ashes Tickets 2010/11
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14-06-2010, 10:06 PM
  2. Why My Country Will Win The Ashes
    By GIMH in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-07-2009, 02:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •