• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2010/11 Ashes XI

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cook
Strauss (c)
Trott
KP
Hussey
Bell
Haddin
Swann
Anderson
Tremlett
Siddle (3rd seamer could go to a few guys tbf)
Yeah team has to be that IMO. I think Watson as a player has been a bit better than Strauss but the captaincy makes up for it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strauss (c)
Cook
Trott
Pieterson
Hussey
Bell
Haddin+
Johnson
Swann
Anderson
Tremlett

Very hard to leave someone out who has basically won a test match on their own.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I thought long and hard about Mitch, based on Perth alone. Agree with you that there is definitely an argument for him ahead of Siddle.

stephen

I thought long and hard about Mitch, based on Perth alone. Agree with you that there is definitely an argument for him ahead of Siddle.
When you have consistency in Anderson and Tremlett there is no good reason to exclude the explosiveness of Johnson. Siddle has been impressive in more tests than Johnson, but nowhere near as game-changing.

kp4captain

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hussey over Collingwood, Siddle over Bresnan and then just the rest being the England line-up

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
You're actually going to include someone in the overall XI who was dropped part way through the series?

stephen

You're actually going to include someone in the overall XI who was dropped part way through the series?
When that player has scored two half centuries and taken a nine wicket haul mostly of top order batsmen then yes, I would.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm also including Tremlett, who was deemed "not good enough" in the first two tests.

No real difference.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When you have consistency in Anderson and Tremlett there is no good reason to exclude the explosiveness of Johnson. Siddle has been impressive in more tests than Johnson, but nowhere near as game-changing.
Hardly Siddle's fault. Johnson had support from the rest of the quicks at Perth. Siddle was a one man band at Melbourne and Brisbane.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Prior over Haddin anyone?

Hussey the only Aussie in my side now and he's lucky I don't pick Colly for his bowling :ph34r:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's batted well this innings...but the pressure's been way off. Haddin's big innings was when the pressure was on.

Spark

Global Moderator
You'd have to say though that the difference in keeping is more than enough to tip the scales.

You can only bat when enough wickets fall, it's hardly a detriment to Prior that the men above him have feasted.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't noticed either keeper much, they both looked to be keeping pretty well to my non-expert eye.

Prior has come into his own now, but his runs have tended to be in the context of ramming home an advantage rather than, as in Haddin's case, digging his team out of the mire. Both are important roles but I'd say that Haddin's runs have been that little bit more vital to his team.

My composite XI:

Cook (c)
Watto
Trott
Penisen

Cricket
Bell
Haddin (w)
Bresnan
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'd have to say though that the difference in keeping is more than enough to tip the scales.

You can only bat when enough wickets fall, it's hardly a detriment to Prior that the men above him have feasted.
Except when they didn't he didn't. Haddin still scored runs when other batsmen didn't feast.

Prior's kept pretty well, but the gap between his and Haddin's isn't as stark as you might claim.