• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2010/11 Ashes XI

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Johnson has to be there surely? Considering he was no worse than Swann with the ball but a lot better with the bat.

Other people might value diversity in bowling line-ups higher than me tbf.
No way. Even in Brisbane Swan took wickets.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've said it before, but if Johnson was a third bowler behind Tremlett and Anderson I believe that he would be a captain's dream - a bowler who is occasionally capable of winning games himself with both bat and ball.

Teja.

Global Moderator
No way. Even in Brisbane Swan took wickets.
Yeah, Johnson's wickets consisted of a game in which he entirely took out most of the top-order and had a pretty good spell in the second Innings to have figures of 9-82. Swann in 'his 'good' match had figures of 7-161. I think it's a gross oversimplification to say - Swann is better because both had their good matches but Swann also took wickets outside it- as it implies that Swann was as good as Johnson in his good match which is far, far from the truth.

Johnson - 11 wickets @ 36.27
Swann - 14 wickets @ 37.28

Johnson played one match less and is bowling in an Innings atm

Johnson also has 2 crucial 50s to his name. I know who I'd take.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Watson
Cook
Trott
Pieterson
Hussey
Bell
Haddin
Harris
Siddle
Tremlett
Anderson

Looks like neither Swann nor Johnson makes it into mine. Watson over Strauss as they both have done equally well but the former can be a 5th bowling option needed in a line-up with 4 pacers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You selecting a 5th seamer at the expense of a captain only compounds the error of no spinner.

Here's a hint - cricket isn't just about stats.

Teja.

Global Moderator
You selecting a 5th seamer at the expense of a captain only compounds the error of no spinner.

Here's a hint - cricket isn't just about stats.
The 4 seamers have certainly even if idc about stats have performed much better than Swann though. Yes, The captain is certainly a problem I haven't considered.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The 4 seamers have certainly even if idc about stats have performed much better than Swann though. Yes, The captain is certainly a problem I haven't considered.
Twatto hasn't outperformed Strauss with the bat either.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd have Strauss over Watson tbh.

It really shows how ****ty our batting has been from Hussey/Haddin onwards that Bell canters into the side with his three fifties.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Things could change after this Test, Hussey's really the only Australian who'd walk into a combined side at the minute.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cook
Strauss (c)
Trott
KP
Hussey
Bell
Haddin
Swann
Anderson
Tremlett
Siddle (3rd seamer could go to a few guys tbf)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Prior has been brilliant keeping, I'd have him in for that. Especially since he didn't really get much chance to bat on the two ocassions when there were roads (Adelaide and latter part of Brisbane).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Have you watched any of the series?

How on Earth you can claim that Johnson has performed "much better" than Swann if you have I would love to know.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Have you watched any of the series?

How on Earth you can claim that Johnson has performed "much better" than Swann if you have I would love to know.
teh statz say he's done better.
Watson
Cook
Trott
Pieterson
Hussey
Bell
Haddin
Harris
Siddle
Tremlett
Anderson

Looks like neither Swann nor Johnson makes it into mine. Watson over Strauss as they both have done equally well but the former can be a 5th bowling option needed in a line-up with 4 pacers.